Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Technology

Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Technology

Post by Josh on 07/04/10, 07:59 pm

Technology

By the vagaries of Fate, many of the ancient gods lack any sort of divine influence over modern technology. Still, a few deities, innovative in their own time, have taken well to machinery and computers. Likewise, more modern divinities sometimes lay claim to this power as well.

Alternate Senses (Technology *)

Dice Pool: Perception + Science
    Cost: None

Scions with this Boon may steal the sensory aptitude of multiple modern sensory apparatuses (spellcheck tells me that is correct, but I may choose to disbelieve). With a successful activation roll, the Scion may attune his senses to receive and interpret any sort of electromagnetic waves, ultrasonic vibrations, even information signals like wireless internet or cellular phones. Each different sensation requires a separate activation roll, and only one type of information may be processed at once.

Help File (Technology **)
    Dice Pool: Intelligence + Science
    Cost: 1 Legend

With a rudimentary understanding of this Purview, a Scion can determine the function of any technological device and use it with a degree of aptitude belying their lack of training. After spending a point of Legend, the Scion’s player rolls Intelligence + Science. Successes provide a base dice pool for using the piece of equipment for the rest of the scene.

Remote Control (Technology ***)

Dice Pool: Dexterity + Control
    Cost: 1 Legend

This Boon allows a Scion to control a technological device from a distance. As long as the Scion can see the machine, her player may spend a point of Legend and take control of the device with a successful Dexterity + Control roll. The Scion may control the device at range for a number of actions equal to the successes on the activation roll. Using this Boon, the Scion has as much control over the device as if they were operating the controls themselves. Control of the mechanism is still subject to the normal rolls regarding its use, limited by the Scion’s Dexterity + Control dice pool.
    tuck
    God
    God

Re: Technology

Post by tuck on 08/04/10, 08:50 am

Awesome!

There should be a power somewhere along the line called "The Professor" that lets you build technology from things that shouldn't actually work. Like building a radio from coconuts and driftwood. Maybe 4 or 5 dots.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/04/10, 02:12 pm

My first impression: too powerful, hooolyyyy crap - especially first and third level. Maybe I've just played too many superhero campaigns where people have variants of Machine Control. But, I can process the internet in my brain at level one? Listen in to all and any cellphone conversations? This needs to be limited, at the very least by range. Level three has equal ridiculous potential if left in the hands of a creative player. Considering I really want this purview and I consider myself a creative player.... take that as fair warning @_@

Two notes:
    First, both Science and Control are skills that you don't put points int to directly - you pick specialties, some of which (Biology, geology, astrophysics) and not really going to apply to the powers very well. Also, you can have multiple specialties. Simon has Science: computers and Science: physics, for example. I'm not sure how this figures in to the rolls. are there other purviews that use these (or craft) for their rolls?

Also, 'technological device' is kind of a vague term. In my department, a pointed stick can be counted as technology ;p Is a car a technological device, or a mechanical one, or a composite of several of both? Can you cheat and control devices that control other devices?
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 09/04/10, 01:45 am

Ok, dear god, I just lost a ridiculously long reply to this, so I'm gonna write a short placeholder one and talk to folks in-person. Smile

Level one is based on a Perception knack which allows you to do essentially the same thing without the information signal processing. I wanted to supe it up a bit as a Boon, hence the aforementioned signal processing. I would like to stress that you cannot broadcast those same signals, so, while you can watch other people surf the net, you yourself cannot actively alter it. Also, with stuff like radio or cellular signals, I imagine it would take a while to process through them to find the specific one you're looking for. You are right, though, I should have included it being limited by range, and I may need to write that in as a parameter of the activation roll.

(Wow, this is turning into the long form one all over again)

Three, you may be right, though it has limitations that might not be readily apparent, and the time one which I consider pretty exacting. That said, would it be better if control was a number of ticks equal to successes?

As to the abilities, there are several in the main book, and even more in others, which use Art, Control, Craft, and Science. Its not specified in the books how to adjudicate that, though I can think of two ways offhand. Either you use the specialization which makes the most sense (if you're being realistic, but, hey, its Scion; also, Cheval uses Control for most of its stuff, and I have no idea what control is applicable to driving a human being), or you use the highest rated specialization (if you're being nice to players, which I try to be Smile)

As to 'technological device',it was left intentionally vague, as I assumed it was kind of always going to be on a case by case basis. For instance, yes, I think a car counts, and, yes, I would think you can control things which control other things. As to the pointed stick, there's a whole argument to that reductio ad absurdum which I'll go into later. pirat

Anywho, this is a quick(ish) attempt at design apologetics, but I'm totally open to input. Does anyone have specific changes which they think might fairly address these issues?
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 04/06/11, 07:14 pm

***Rarefied Electromagnetic Perception
    (as the perception knack in Demigod)
    Cost: 1 legend
    Roll: Perception + Science

Move Remote Control to ****

Sponsored content