Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Family Matters

elanya
    God
    God

Family Matters

Post by elanya on 10/11/14, 12:11 pm

Figuring out when to stop by home was always sort of tricky. If Denise was trying to avoid getting into a fight with her da, that usually meant coming by when he was at work, or on seventhday dinners which they'd sort of left as neutral territory, and they'd both make an effort to be nice. If she wanted to see her little sister, that didn't leave her much of a window, unless she showed up to walk her home from school. Today, though, she wanted a chance to talk to Mikel alone, which meant showing up at some time when he'd be likely to be there and not out doin' some sort of Channel training, or maybe even out with Romain. What this meant is some time that their mam was most likely to need his help. If she timed it right, she'd get to see mam for a bit too, and then pin Mikel down. That would be better than the other way, where if she wanted to see her mam she'd have to stick around after, which might be awkward if Mikel got pissy.

Denise unlocked the door, and then poked her head inside. She didn't hear anything right away, but she heard some shuffling from the back of the little house. "Hello? Anyone home?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Re: Family Matters

Post by Curtana on 10/11/14, 07:15 pm

"I'm here, just come on in," Denise's mother called from the small sitting room where she often stayed. "Mikel's just doing a spot of tidying in the bedroom." She smiled to see her eldest daughter. "There's some cold sausage and rolls with mustard left over from lunch, if you haven't eaten yet."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 10/11/14, 07:34 pm

Denise grinned. "Hi mam! Thanks!" Technically she had eaten lunch, but she was kinda hungry and having just one probably wouldn't hurt anything... But first she had a hug for her mother. "Can I get you anything while I'm in there?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/11/14, 07:39 pm

"Oh, no, thank you dear. I'm all set, I've had my tea," Elcina said. The 'tea' was in fact a blend of herbs designed to dull her pain, and since it made her drowsy she usually had it before taking a nap in the afternoon. "But once you've got some food, you could sit down for a moment and tell me how you're doing."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 10/11/14, 08:20 pm

"Sure thing - I was hoping I'd catch you before your nap." Denise planted a kiss on her mother's head, then went to fix herself a snack before settling down in the sitting room. "How's everyone here doin'?" She asked before taking a bite of her sausage roll.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 11/11/14, 11:56 pm

Elcina sighed, but forced a smile for her daughter. "Oh, everyone is all right. Yvie got a perfect score on her math test, after she studied so hard for it, and your father promised her a little surprise. He's going to let her have that kitten she's been asking for - but don't tell her, all right?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/11/14, 12:03 am

"Aw - no way, really!?" She grinned at the prospect, trying to ignore the little voice in the back of her head that said she'd never gotten a kitten - or a perfect score on anything. "She'll be so thrilled!"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 12/11/14, 12:09 am

Elcina nodded. "Well, we'll see how well she takes care of it once she has it. Hopefully it won't cause too much mischief," she said with a smile. "But how about you - how are you doing?" she asked, patting her eldest daughter's hand fondly.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/11/14, 12:14 am

"Aw, I'm all right, mam, same as ever really. I went out to the club with Mireva the other night, just for funzies - she had me get all dolled up for it, make up 'n all. You shoulda seen it!"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 12/11/14, 12:15 am

"I bet you looked so pretty," Elcina said with a wistful smile. "Did you dance with anyone?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/11/14, 12:22 am

"One or two guys I guess - no one special or anything. It was fun though!"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 12/11/14, 12:25 am

"Well, that sounds like a lovely evening. At your age you don't need to have anyone too special yet, anyway," she said, a slight frown of motherly concern creasing her brow before it faded. "But of course if you do, you can tell me about it!"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/11/14, 12:31 am

"Nah," she said, wondering whether she knew about Romain. "No one for me! Did I tell you my friend Argent turned up working at the club though? Got a job there as a waiter."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 12/11/14, 12:36 am

"Oh, really? He was always such a nice boy," Elcina said with a smile, remembering the fair-haired young man. "But he's been away a few years, hasn't he?" She assumed he'd gone to jail, or left the city to avoid doing so, but didn't say so. "I'm glad he's back, and doing well for himself." She stifled a yawn with one hand, wishing she could have more time with Denise.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/11/14, 12:39 am

"Yeah - I guess some church lady took him in or somethin'?" She avoided mentioning that she'd assumed he was in jail. "Anyway he's doing good, like you said, an it's nice to have someone from home to talk to, ya know?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 12/11/14, 02:45 pm

"That's nice," Elcina agreed. Her head was growing heavy as the herbal concoction took effect. "Hopefully he can look out for you..." she added with a drowsy smile.

"Okay, mam," Mikel said, emerging from the bedroom at the back of the house, "I changed the sheets, so let's get you to bed... Oh, hi, Denise," he said, realizing his sister was there. "I was just gonna get mam settled for her nap."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/11/14, 03:15 pm

"Hey Mickey! We was just havin' a little chat, but I thikn she's just about out now..." She gave here mam another hand squeeze and a smile. "You want a hand?" Denise could lift their mother a lot easier than her brother, but that didn't mean he'd want her interfering in their normal routine.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 12/11/14, 03:17 pm

"Sure," Mikel said, seeming grateful for the offer of help. "Can you bring her along to bed? It's all ready, just have to tuck her in."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/11/14, 03:34 pm

"You got it!" Denise reached down to scoop Elcina up into her arms, trying not to think about how frail she seemed now, and how different from before the fire. "Up you get mam..." It wasn't very far to the bedroom, and Mikel had thrown the sheets back and fluffed up the pillow. "There you go." She gave her mother another quick hug before she set her down, helping her get more comfortable and pulling up the blankets. "Love you, mam."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 12/11/14, 03:37 pm

Elcina mumbled something that could have been an "I love you too" in response, but she was already mostly asleep.

Mikel shut the door quietly behind them as Denise stepped out of the room, and waited until they were back in the kitchen before talking. "Thanks. Did you come by just to see mam, or...?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/11/14, 03:54 pm

"Nah. I actually wanted to catch you, but I weren't sure when else you'd be home, these days." She plopped herself back down in one of the chairs at the table. "How's things goin'?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 12/11/14, 03:58 pm

Mikel shrugged. "It's ... well, I'm just not talking to da much at all. Uncle Thierry came by to talk to him, they went out for a while, and since then da's been tryin' to act nice again, but... it's still kinda crappy."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/11/14, 04:04 pm

"Oh." Denise gave him a sympathetic look. "Like - what even did he say? You just told him about Romain and he freaked out?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 12/11/14, 04:14 pm

"No, not exactly," Mikel said with a sigh. "He was talkin' about what would I do to support my family someday - how bein'a channel is nice and all but it wouldn't be enough to get married an' have kids an' a house an' all that sorta thing. He was sorta askin' if it would be somethin' I could do just on the side, like, on top of havin' a regular job, an' if I maybe could do some extra work now, even. He said how maybe with what I've learned takin' care of mam, I could get some money by workin' with folks hurt in the war... cause that's what I wanna do in the evenings, like I ain't done enough of that all day. So I told him how I wasn't likely to have kids an' a family like that anyway, 'cause of Romain."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/11/14, 04:39 pm

Denise tried to imagine the scene, but shook her head and sighed. "An' then he freaked out?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/07/17, 05:39 am