Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Cousin Concerns

Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Cousin Concerns

Post by Genevriel on 14/10/14, 08:50 pm

On her way home from cleaning up the cabaret, Genevriel had decided she would stop by Dorien's flat. She had heard he'd been injured. She wasn't sure that there was anything she could do for him, two days after the fact, that hadn't already been done, but it was the right thing to drop by, anyway.

She had only been to his flat once before, shortly after they first ran into each other in Diablotin, so she was glad when she saw some familiar landmarks. It would have been embarrassing to get lost, though easy in this mess of stone they called a city.

She tapped hesitantly on the door, not sure what her welcome would be.
    tuck
    God
    God

Re: Cousin Concerns

Post by tuck on 17/10/14, 09:03 am

After a minute or so the door opened and Dorien stood in the hall. His hair was still mussed from sleep, although it was obvious he'd been up for some time from the chemical-stained apron he wore over his everyday clothes. The faint caustic smell of acids emanated from somewhere behind him.

"Oh, hey, Gennie!" he said with a smile, "Sorry, I wasn't expecting company today. Come on in."
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel on 17/10/14, 06:08 pm

Gen wrinkled her nose at the smell as she stepped inside. "Thanks... I think. Is it really safe to mix reagents where you live?" she blurted out before remembering that Dorien was not much better off than she was. "Never mind. You've got to make a living. I heard you were hurt the other night, though, so I came by to see how you were doing." She scrutinized him with a healer's eye.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 17/10/14, 09:50 pm

Dorien chuckled at his cousin's concern about him. He moved to the window and opened it, airing out the smell of chemicals that was emanating from his room. As he did so she could easily notice that he was limping slightly, favoring his right leg.

"Sorry about the smell, for once it's not actually work related. Well, not directly. I've been trying to figure out what was in that wine that everyone drank at the club the night everything went Tits up... So to speak. Some of the reagents I've been using are rather... noxious. I purposely waited until Argent was gone for the day."

He untied the apron from around his waist and hung it over the windowsill to air out.

"Can I get you anything? tea? Coffee?"
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel on 18/10/14, 12:13 am

"You have coffee?" Gen replied, surprising herself with her own eagerness. She had not had a good cup of coffee for years. The army just didn't make it the way the Psyrene vendors did... "Coffee sounds good. You're limping, though..."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 18/10/14, 12:25 am

Dorian smirked at Gen's excitement and went to the kitchen where the coffee press and hot water were already set up. He tended to go through a lot of coffee when he was working.

"It's nothing, really. That creature stabbed me... or maybe stung me, I suppose. I never really got a good look at it. It'll be fine in a day or two."

Dorian gave a somewhat forced smile and shrugged.

"It won't be my first scar."
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel on 18/10/14, 12:37 am

Gen took a deep breath as she followed Dorien into the kitchen. "You might not have to have a scar, if you'd rather not. I mean... I could ask for healing for you. If you need it." Gen wasn't sure why offering to try to help someone she knew, her cousin, even, was so much more awkward than helping strangers.

Well no, that was a lie. It was awkward simply because of the potential for questions for which she had no answers.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 18/10/14, 12:50 am

Dorien raised an eyebrow.

"Ask who?"
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel on 18/10/14, 01:19 am

Gen paused briefly, wringing her hands nervously and looking everywhere but at her cousin, until she forced herself to look him in the eyes. "I... only know them as the One. They might be the Seven, or the Serpent, or something else entirely. But... they do help me heal people, when I pray to them."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 18/10/14, 09:07 am

Dorien looked thoughtful.

He had never been much of one for the gods. He knew they were there sure enough, their works were far too evident to ever truly doubt that, but he found that in his day-to-day life the seven or eight or however many they were up to now didn't really seem to hold much interest to him. His views were much more holistic than those of the clergy, and he thought of the gods as merely a different expression of the cosmic energy that formed everyone and everything, neither more nor less special than anything else in the cosmos. In the end he left them alone and they, for the most part, paid him the same courtesy.

But he was a scientist first and foremost, and that meant testing claims. Although he hated to consider the idea, it was possible that his cousin had begun to snap just a little. If anyone had cause for it, Genevriel certainly did. She'd been through as much pain and grief as anyone he'd ever met, give or take. On the other hand she was both family and friend, and he owed it to her to at least give her claim a fair chance.

He limped over to the threadbare couch and sat down, pulling up the leg of his trousers to just below the knee. The puncture wound on his leg was small, but jagged, and the skin around it was slightly red from either irritation or infection, possibly both.

"Show me," he said simply.
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel on 18/10/14, 12:11 pm

Gen nodded, business-like. If she picked up on her cousin's scepticism, she couldn't really blame him. She herself often wondered if she was delusional, but several of her recently lived experiences suggested she was not. Unless they were part of the delusion.

She padded over to the couch and crouched down next to Dorien, laying her gloved hands gently on his bared leg. His wound was not terrible, and this was probably a frivolous use of whatever grace she had been granted. However, she was still here, in the city, wasn't she? Her original reasons for coming to Diablotin had been mixed, but after so many bitter, empty months, her one remaining reason was that the One seemed to want her to be here. So this was the deal for now: she'd stay as long as, once in a while, they did something for her in return.

She closed her eyes and opened her mind to the stars, asking them to grant healing for Dorien, that his infection might not get worse. That working their magic on someone she trusted might grant her, in turn, some reassurance that she was not insane. She felt the now-familiar tingling sensation, hair on her neck prickling as the One's light flowed through her. She gritted her teeth as it channeled into her arms, which was always painful, and felt relief as it passed from her hands into Dorien. When she opened her eyes again, his leg was healed.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 18/10/14, 12:33 pm

Dorien watched with interest as his cousin's hands pressed against the wound. At first there was a slight pain from the light pressure, but within moments that gave way to an electric feeling of energy that almost tickled as it flowed into his leg. He could feel the wound closing, skin and muscle knitting itself back together, and he found the sensation very interesting.

Finally, after a minute or so, the feeling faded and Gen opened her eyes.

"Fascinating..." he said absently as she removed her hands from him. It wasn't the first time he'd been the subject of healing magics. After the accident he'd spent several months recuperating from his wounds and been the subject of several rituals. But somehow this felt different, more raw and closer to the source. Whatever energy source Genny was tapping into was certainly powerful.

He reached down and rubbed his thumb over the spot where the wound had been. There wasn't a trace of it left.

"Thank you," he said, catching her eye. He had a million questions, but from the look on her face he could tell that right now might not be the best time to ask them.

"Maybe... maybe I should get that coffee now."
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel on 18/10/14, 01:34 pm

Gen nodded, grateful for the gift of having someone sensible and intelligent like her cousin witness what she was able to call upon. "Coffee would be good... I thank you for that. But it's the One you should thank for your healing, not me." She winced, knowing how arrogant and overbearing those words could sound coming from the mouths of certain servants of the Seven and the Serpent. "I... I hope I don't sound like those priests no one much cares for. But it's only the truth. I am nothing more than a conduit." She rose to her feet, hands spreading in an apologetic and rather bewildered gesture before she allowed them to drop to her sides.

She had always been a bright and independent girl, but the riddle of what she had become left her feeling dull-witted and helpless. Better to focus on more mundane things. "Can I help you get the coffee?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 18/10/14, 01:43 pm

Dorien stood up, testing his weight on his leg. It felt much better, and his limp was completely gone. He looked at Gen and reached down to gently squeeze her gloved hand.

"You're a lot more than just a conduit."

He paused for a moment before clearing his throat and letting go of her hand to turn and head to the kitchen again.

"Sure, you can put the kettle on while I get the press ready."
    Genevriel
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Genevriel on 18/10/14, 02:25 pm

Gen bore Dorien's well-intended squeeze with fortitude; he did not know about her mark of shame, but she did not feel ready to speak of it with him, or anyone else, for that matter.

"I guess," she replied to his comment, not convinced. But she felt a real smile when she saw him testing his leg for any remaining traces of weakness, and that was rare for her, these days.

She helped him get the coffee on, and chatted with him over their steaming cups. It was almost as good as the Psyrene vendors' brew, which was saying a lot. She was glad that their conversation didn't venture into any awkward territory, such as her powers, or the fact that they hadn't told his mother yet that her sister was dead. Eventually Dorien indicated that he really needed to get back to his experiments, so Gen took her leave.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/11/17, 07:10 am