Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Lunch Date

Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Lunch Date

Post by Longpig on 07/10/14, 09:02 pm

After catching up with Denise, Hettienne gathered up her things, tucking her knitting into a handbag. She'd made plans to meet Korisse the week before at a café near Korisse's studio, and it would take a while to cycle there. She jotted a quick note for Denise on the little slate board they used to exchange messages, but by the sounds of the snoring coming from her room, Hettie didn't think she'd be awake before she got back. Stopping briefly at the little mirror by the front door, she stuck a few more pins in her hair, slipped a scarf around her beck and put on her favourite red cloche, then slapped on some matching lipstick. A girl's gotta look her best!
    elanya
    God
    God

Re: Lunch Date

Post by elanya on 07/10/14, 09:21 pm

"Miss Valent?"

By the time Korisse lookd up, she realized that Nichelle has been calling her for some time, and shook her head, flustered. "Sorry..."

Nichelle, well accustomed to her habits, ignored the apology and continued with gentle patience. "You wanted me to remind you about your lunch date."

"Oh, yes! Hettie!"

"Yes, Miss Valent. At the Café Rosé."

"Thank you Nichelle." She started towards the door, but stopped at Nichelle's urging to remove her work apron. There was a mirror in the building's entryway, and she paused there for a moment before giving it up as a hopeless. her hair wasn't too frazzled, at least. She knew her clothes were out of date, but she could never figure out how to make modern fashions work for her without feeling awkward and exposed. Normally she wouldn't give it much thought, but Hettie always looked so well put together and she always felt a little drab in comparison. The best she cold manage for now was to tuck back a few stray hairs and hope the apron hadn't creased her blouse too terribly. At least the café was close by...

Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Longpig on 07/10/14, 10:06 pm

"Coffee. Black. Uh, please." Hettienne pre-empted the waiter as he flipped open his order pad. "And a coupla menus. I'm meetin' a friend." As he bustled off, she settled herself into the cushy booth to watch out the window for Korisse.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 07/10/14, 10:16 pm

It wasn't too much longer before Korisse brushed by, hurrying distractedly so that she missed Hettie in the window and had to look around to spot her inside.

"So sorry I'm late," she said as she sat down and picked up the menu. "I just got absorbed... oh you know. Like always. How are you?"
    Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Longpig on 08/10/14, 09:16 am

"Oh, could be worse... I guess you ain't seen the papers?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/10/14, 11:34 am

Korisse shook her head. "I don't like to read them first thing in the morning. if there's something shocking then it is on my mind all day and I can't concentrate..." She trailed off, brow furrowed. "Was there something shocking at the Cabaret?"
    Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Longpig on 08/10/14, 11:46 am

Hettie snorted. "Ya could say that... Hey!" She called to the waiter. "You got a paper?" The server grabbed one from an empty table and obligingly brought it over. "Thanks." She turned it around for Korisse to read. "There... See?" The headline read 'TITS SAGGING AFTER SHOCKING SHOW', and there was a grainy photograph of the cabaret with its entrance cordoned off, and several city guards milling about.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/10/14, 12:02 pm

Korisse blinked at the headline, then glanced back at the hovering server. "Oh my! And err - coffee with milk please? What happened?" She reached out to take the paper from Hettie, skimming quickly through the article, though details were scarce. "A light fell?"
    Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Longpig on 08/10/14, 12:12 pm

"That ain't the half of it." Hettie leaned over the table. "The boiler got sabotaged, and the electrics an' lines too. It coulda been a lot worse if we hadn't caught it."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/10/14, 12:15 pm

"Caught what? It says that there's a performer missing?"
    Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Longpig on 08/10/14, 12:20 pm

"Well, see, there was this little monster thing. Like a runty little elf, but ugly as sin. It were messin' with all the machines, and probably the light too. And as for yer 'missing performer' - some Psyrene bint who was probably behind all of it!." She sat back just as the waiter returned to place their coffee on the table. "Thanks darlin'."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/10/14, 12:32 pm

"Yes, thank you..." Korisse was completely shocked, but Hettie wasn't the type to make up fanciful stories, and the waiter was asking if they were ready to order.

"Err, um, I'll have the soup please, with a roll..."

She waited for Hettie to place her order and the server to head off to the kitchens before leaning back in. "And you caught this... thing?"

Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Longpig on 08/10/14, 12:56 pm

"Well... caught, shot... ya know." Hettie shrugged.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/10/14, 02:08 pm

Korisse glance back down at the paper. "I suppose that explains the 'sounds of gunfire reported by not confirmed!' But - why? If it was some kind of....bizarre Psyrene plot.... why?"
    Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Longpig on 08/10/14, 07:04 pm

Hettienne shrugged. "Who knows. But Tits is some kinda princess, innit? Maybe that's got somethin' to do with it."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/10/14, 08:12 pm

"She is, but this seems more like... well. If everything had been sabotaged, and more people had been hurt, and this *was* tied to Psyra... They're not really in a good position to be agitating things further at this point. We still have all the advantages we did when we forced the resolution of conflict, and they certainly have't had time to recover!"
    Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Longpig on 09/10/14, 09:20 am

"I dunno. I ain't much fer politics, I guess. Maybe it were somethin' more personal then."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/10/14, 09:35 am

Korisse shook her head, uncertain herself. "Who knows. Maybe if they can find that singer they can get some answers. So you're closed down for a couple of days?"
    Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Longpig on 14/10/14, 09:02 am

"Yup... Nothin' but time on my hands." Hettie waggled her fingers suggestively.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/10/14, 10:59 am

Korisse smiled. "Oh - well you know you're welcome to drop by the studio anytime! I don't have anything major going on right now - just working on a few small projects."
    Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Longpig on 14/10/14, 12:23 pm

"Oh? Like what?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/10/14, 12:46 pm

Oh well - I was engaged to help with effects for this one pieve where they want to have thing magical fight. Of course they can't just really use the spells they want, or they don't show up properly on film, so that's interesting, I suppose. I have this other idea I've been toying with too, like a short series, to see what I can show, just on film, about a character or a person. To make them feel real to the people watch them... I don't know. I'm still just playing with ideas. Maybe it isn't the sort of thing anyone would want to watch. It would make them very uncomfortable, I think, if I could do it right. It should be very intimate... Not like that though!" Korisse blushed, stirring the coffee that the server had brought.
    Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Longpig on 14/10/14, 04:52 pm

"Heh. Folk ought to feel uncomfortable sometimes, maybe... But what do I know?" She shrugged, and took a sip of her coffee. "How's the little 'un?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/10/14, 09:49 pm

"Oh she's well!" Korisse smiled, but looked slightly frazzled. "I have no idea how she has so much energy. At least she's been sleeping welll..."
    Longpig
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Longpig on 18/10/14, 12:21 am

Hettie looked up to see the waiter arriving with their lunch. "Thanks," she nodded as he set down the plates.

"Yeah, I remember how it was when Georges 'n' Alain were little. Good thing they were cute, is all I can say." She winked as she picked up her fork.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/09/17, 07:12 pm