Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

An Unexpected Vacation

tuck
    God
    God

An Unexpected Vacation

Post by tuck on 07/10/14, 07:30 pm

Dorien had slept through the night and most of the day as well. When he finally managed to drag himself out of bed it wasn't until past one in the afternoon, and his head felt like someone had been grinding glass shards into his Medulla oblongata. He knew drugs and he knew poisons, and he didn't have the first clue what it was that void-blasted imp had hit him with. Whatever it was made an onyx hangover feel like a night at the Jewel Box.

After a long, cold shower that only marginally helped, he threw on an old shirt and pants and emerged from his bedroom into the common room of the small apartment he shared with Argent.

"Morning..." he said to the younger man, "...such as it is. Please tell me we have coffee."
    Vess123
    Scion
    Scion

Re: An Unexpected Vacation

Post by Vess123 on 07/10/14, 07:34 pm

Argent looks up from the small book he was struggling to read...
    "There is some coffee, but it's not made. I had some tea earlier so the kettle is still warm. You feeling a little better today?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 07/10/14, 11:03 pm

"Better... Yes. Good... No." Dorien shuffled to the kitchenette area and opened a cabinet, reaching for a paper sack of ground coffee.

"I feel like I picked a fight with a locomotive. Has there been any news about what happened? I assume it made the morning edition."
    Vess123
    Scion
    Scion

Post by Vess123 on 08/10/14, 06:58 pm

"Made the edition, yes. Supplying any more details... not really." Argent replied, marking his page with a blue ribbon bookmark and closing his book. "Mostly it was about the lighting accident and someone spiking the drinks, although, I'm sure by tonight there will be more details on the body that was found and the missing singer, with a sprinkle of conspiracy regarding the princes being present and I'm sure a dozen of other theories that will sell papers."

Argent considers. "Seems like lots of effort and expense to have someone killed in a bar, if you ask me, if that was the point of it all. Look at yourself, the creature likely could have slit your throat, but didn't."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 08/10/14, 07:24 pm

Dorien took a moment to consider this as he prepared the coffee strainer. Although he barely remembered the incident he must have been alone with the creature for several minutes from what he could piece together from the reports of the others. The fact that he wasn't dead was indeed peculiar.

"I very much suspect that I wasn't worth it's time. Whatever it was clearly wasn't after me; I was just in the way. I for one would like to know who the stiff was and how he kicked it. I have a feeling whatever happened was bigger than just a dead guy in a club and a prankster imp."
    Vess123
    Scion
    Scion

Post by Vess123 on 08/10/14, 08:22 pm

Argent shakes his head. "It wasn't an Imp. Imps are smaller, have wings and a tail with a stinger. I don't know what it was yet, but it definitely wasn't an Imp."

"You shouldn't think so little of yourself, Dorien. I'm sure there is someone out there who thinks you're worth the time."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 09/10/14, 12:08 pm

Dorien shot Argent a look that was half amused and half resigned.

"Oh, I'm sure there is. But no one who'd go through the trouble of procuring a... whatever it was."

He poured the hot water into the press and let it soak for a moment.

"How the void do you know so much about imps, anyway?"
    Vess123
    Scion
    Scion

Post by Vess123 on 09/10/14, 08:57 pm

Argent shrugs. "Hobby... bad experience when I was roaming the streets. Guess I just don't like being caught off guard."

"So is it hard to spike wine like that? I would think if it was easy, or cheap, they would be doing it all the time."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/10/14, 12:54 pm

"Depends..." Dorien said with a shrug, "For someone behind the bar it might be fairly easy. For anyone else it's trickier. How expensive it is depends on the poison. I kinda wish I'd thought to grab one of the bottles so I could analyze it and possibly determine what it contained. Unfortunately I was... not exactly at my best. Maybe there's still some floating around. If it's something new I might be able to isolate it and market it."

Vess123
    Scion
    Scion

Post by Vess123 on 11/10/14, 01:50 pm

"I snatched a bottle that night from Denise," Argent responds, "but I left it with Lathra when I was trying to find out where you had disappeared. She could still have it. I could try and track her down and see if she still does. Not like there is going to be much else going on for the next little while."

Unless Denise shows up, Argent thinks to himself, which could also be just as interesting... otherwise it's back to that Book. Reading just isn't his thing.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 14/10/14, 09:05 am

"I'd appreciate it," Dorien said while rubbing his temple. He took a sip of fresh brewed coffee and felt a bit rejuvenated, his memory beginning to clear somewhat from the haze that was the previous night.

"Neva said something about having just got a new wine shipment in. Pretty convenient timing if you ask me. It might be worth looking into who the supplier was. And who shipped it. Denise probably has some friends in the booze transportation business. Maybe she can make some quiet inquiries."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/10/14, 10:56 am

Denise had thought to sleep away the afternoon, but woke up feeling refreshed. Aunt Hettie had gone out somewhere and if Ander needed her it was going to be until tonight. She thought about wandering over to The Shade, but decided to leave that as an option if she had her evening free, since there would be more stuff to do.

She could have gone home to see her mam, but the excitement of the previous evening still gripped her, and she decided to go see if Argent was home, in case he knew more about what happened with the gunshots she'd heard. And then if Dorien was around, she could get a sense of what her prospects might be for picking up a little pocket change over the next few days... And maybe she could stop home for dinner later.

With all that in mind, Denise made her way over to their shared flat, and knocked. "Hey guys! Anyone up?"
    Vess123
    Scion
    Scion

Post by Vess123 on 14/10/14, 06:43 pm

The Wheel brings what the faithful need, Argent mind rings with the familiar litany.

"Come on in, were both up" Argent calls out. "Well I'm up more than Dorien, he's still in the land between awake and coffee. Turns out your name just came up. It was all good, I swear, nothin' about drunken slurs and inappropriate propositioning of waiters at all."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/10/14, 06:59 pm

"What?" Denise pulled a face at Argent as she breezed into the house. "I didn't proposition no-one! I weren't so out of it as that - too busy tryin' ta get everyone else to behave!" She paused to look over Dorien. "You alright then? Aunt Hettie said you were got by the... creepy elf thing."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 14/10/14, 08:18 pm

"Yeah, I got... got." Dorien said with a nod, "Although as poisonings go it sounds like you got the more fun one."

He grabbed another mug from the drying rack and poured a new cup, offering it to the young woman.

"How are you feeling this morning? Any aftereffects from that drug?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/10/14, 08:28 pm

"I'm alright - head was a bit muzzy when I woke up still but I think I shook it. I don't think I got it as bad as some though." Denise accepted the mug and poured herself more coffee. "That place was outta control though! Do you guys know anything more about it?"
    Vess123
    Scion
    Scion

Post by Vess123 on 14/10/14, 08:50 pm

"If you talked to Hettie, you probably know more about the evil elfling than we do, I only caught up to it when we tracked it down and smoked it with a few bullets... not that I had a gun, being a waiter and all," Argent smiles at his last comment, hoping up to clear a space on the sparse furniture for Denise to sit if she so chooses. "Then there was the light crashing down and of course the dead body after everyone cleared out. Still haven't heard anything on that. Dorien and I were chatting about the spiked wine. I had left a bottle with Lathra, but I lost track of it in the confusion. Not sure if she still has it. I was thinkin' of trying to track her down, see if she still does. The mad genius over may be able to make somethin' of it."

"I don't really know her though..." Argent leaves the last statement hanging.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/10/14, 09:03 pm

Denise plonked down on the couch. "Lathra? I don't know her either - I dunno if she even lives in the Shade. I can ask Mireva if I see her tonight though, she'd know. She knows everyone there, pretty much. Aunt Hettie says she caught the thing messin' with the boiler, and there coulda been a right mess if she hadn't, but it went invisible! When even hears about that sorta thing in the city?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 15/10/14, 09:15 am

Dorien sipped his coffee thoughtfully.

"Well, I've never heard of anything like it, and I've seen some strange things. I know it wasn't any kind of elf, though, and Argent says it wasn't an imp. Which leaves us pretty much guessing blind."

He shrugged.

"I don't really know Lathra either, but all the Scalies at the club seem to love her."

He nodded his chin towards Denise.

"Tell you what kid, if you can find that bottle or another one like it I'll make it worth your while. And if you can track down where it came from I'll give you a bonus."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 15/10/14, 10:23 am

Denise's eyes lit up with interest.  "I bet Neva would know where it came from - probably you could ask her easier.  But I can see if I can find Lathra, maybe...  The rest I bet the guard took."  She eyed Argent.  "Buuuuut - we could see if there's anything in the trash?"

[ooc note - Julie said we could probably find something, so if we wanna play it out we can ^-^]
    Vess123
    Scion
    Scion

Post by Vess123 on 15/10/14, 07:17 pm

"I'm not one to mind getting his hands dirty when the occasion calls for it," Argent grins at the suggestion. "If there is something left over, I'm sure we can find it." And who knows what else, he thinks.

Argent slips into his room to grab his coat and pistol. "And if it doesn't pan out, we can always track down Lathra. You going to join the hunt, Dorien, or is it a little to street for you?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 15/10/14, 07:48 pm

"I don't mind getting my hands dirty either," Dorien said with a half grin, "But right now I'm gonna go lock myself in my room and sit in the dark until my brain stops throbbing. You kids have fun."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 17/10/14, 08:19 am

[oops - sorry, I missed Terry's reply or I'd have posted sooner!]

"Great!" Denise hopped back up off the couch, shrugging a little when she saw Argent pocket his gun - she hadn't brought hers, but figured that on the slim chance they encountered any trouble, her fists would serve her just fine. "Come on, then, Argent - kinda like old times, hey?"

The pair hustled out of the house, heading through the streets towards the cabaret. "This should be pretty easy, right? They got a big ole' bin out back where they toss trash?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 24/09/17, 03:36 am