Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

An Old Grudge

tuck
    God
    God

An Old Grudge

Post by tuck on 27/02/13, 10:15 pm

Kallista sat in the corner of the small hut that the Thunderbolts had been lent the use of by the people of the Feywild village. she wore only a ragged shirt and loose fitting pants, as her armor was spread out in front of her in pieces. She dipped a rag into a nearby jar of oil and continued working the oil deep into the grain of the well-used leather chest piece.

"So... what's the deal with your people and the Formorians?" Kallista asked the nearby Shadarkai as she worked, "I mean, you obviously don't like them, but this goes beyond your normal dislike of people. I mean it almost seems to approach your undead obsession."
    elanya
    God
    God

Re: An Old Grudge

Post by elanya on 28/02/13, 11:41 am

Tzesira had been meditating on that very thing. They must be close to the Feydark - it teased her mind in a familiar way, almost like the Shadow. And thus...Fomorians. She was eager to test herself against them, and also anxious to make sure her people knew some had survived. Assuming Roscoe was correct... She looked up at Kallista, her expression determined. Scraps of sagas had been running through her mind ever since she'd heard, but they didn't all translate well into common.

"When we still belonged to the fey courts, with the Elduar, we all warred with the Fomorians in the Feywild. They were allied with titans, and they killed Khela, who was our liege then. The Eladrin wanted to treat with them, then - to make truces, because they were afraid. But we would not agree, and so we hunted them, through the Feywild, and into the Feydark, and that is how we came to the Shadowfell, and to Letherna, where we came into the service of the Raven Queen. And then we hunted our enemies further, until they were gone from all planes.... Rilkhelek, who became H'rih'keth, consort to the Raven Queen, who founded my monastery, saw their forces exterminated on the fields of Eressea. No one has seen or heard of them since that time." She smiled thinly. "If they are still around... then this is more than just a good fight. It's a fight that no other shadar-kai has fought in generations, against our oldest enemy."

tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 28/02/13, 11:46 am

"So they're the reason you're all mopey and shit?" Kallista asked, looking up.

"Why didn't you guys just leave again once you got rid of them? Why stay in the Shadowfell? Seems like a pretty shitty place to set up shop."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 28/02/13, 12:07 pm

Tzesira stared at her friend for a moment, before explaining, slowly and clearly. "The Raven Queen makes her home in Letherna, in the Shadowfell. We are her chosen people. Life in the Shadowfell forces us to constantly test ourselves, to ensure that we are strong. Even away from the Shadowfell, we carry that with us."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 28/02/13, 12:15 pm

Kallista nodded.

"I guess I can understand that. People spend a lot of time searching for ways to get closer to their gods. I guess if you find their home address you tend to want to stick around."

She paused from oiling her armor for a minute and looked at her friend.

"But how do you know these formorinians are like the old ones? I mean, they've been gone for thousands of years. Maybe they've changed."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 28/02/13, 12:18 pm

Tzesira shrugged, narrowing her eyes. "Roscoe knew what they were from how they were described, not from their name. They're dangerous, power-hungry monsters. It doesn't sound to me like they've changed."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 28/02/13, 12:29 pm

Kallista shrugged as well.

"I guess so."

For a moment she resumed her work quietly, but soon paused again.

"So if these things were able to kill a god, how did your people manage to stop them?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 28/02/13, 12:43 pm

"She wasn't a god exactly. She was a powerful fey of the winter court. It was the titan that slew her, while the fomorians and cyclopses pitted themselves against her other forces." She smirked in satisfaction. "After that, our hearts were filled with vengeance, and in new battles, we forced them to flee, into dark places, where we sought them out, and destroyed them." She realized her words were falling into the rhythm, at least, of the sagas, even if the words weren't right. "We stalked them where others would not follow, and our new lady welcomed us into her palace of death, taking us into her service, taking H'rih'keth into her confidence, into her heart and bed, and with her we found new strengths, and new triumph over our foes."

tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 28/02/13, 12:56 pm

Kallista stared at her friend.

"Are you okay? You don't.. sound like yourself."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 28/02/13, 01:02 pm

Tzesira shrugged. "Nah, its just shit I learned ages ago. Its easier to remember if you say it like that."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 28/02/13, 01:21 pm

Kallista nodded.

"Do you think their coming back now is related to Nachtur? Or to the forces in the elemental chaos? After thousands of years it seems like a huge coincidence that they'd be rearing their heads now, right when so much shit is about to go down."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 28/02/13, 01:27 pm

"Maybe to the shit in the Elemental Chaos, yeah. They used to work for titans, so maybe they would again? But shit, I don't know. We're in the middle of fucking nowhere *in the Feywild* right now, and the closest place no Arth is some shitty haunted city in fucking Morro. I guess maybe if shits being stirred up, they've been stirred up with it, but I don't know about fucking connected. Maybe when we get back we can see if they've been poking their head out anywhere else. I guess they could be looking for other places the planes connect?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 28/02/13, 01:43 pm

"Maybe. I can't imagine how much influence someone would have to wield to be able to mobilize demons in the elemental chaos, insurgents in the material plane AND long-dead titan-worshipping giants in the feywild. I hope to the lady you're right. Even the all-seer is nowhere near powerful enough for something like that. If it is related..."

she let her words trail off, unable to even consider the implications.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 28/02/13, 01:51 pm

"Well, fuck, it's all about the primordials right? They *made* the fucking titans - it's not that much of a leap." She scowled "This is some right epic Dawn War shit in the making, Kay. We better not fuck this all up."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 28/02/13, 01:58 pm

"No pressure, then," Alia said dryly, stirring from her half-sleep and rolling over to stretch.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 28/02/13, 03:06 pm

"Welcome back to the land of the living," Kallista said. She reached out and poked Alia in the ear with the tip of her tail.

"You should probably get up anyway, the villagers said dinner was in half an hour or so. What do you think of all this Foromian bullshit?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 28/02/13, 03:10 pm

Tzesira rolled her eyes. "Fomorian, bitch, get it right."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 28/02/13, 03:18 pm

"That's what I said!" Kallista whined, sticking her tongue out.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 28/02/13, 03:20 pm

"I don't even know," Alia said grumpily, rubbing her eyes. "I just wanna get this stone thing sorted out so we can get on to the next huge-ass thing that's gonna try to kill us. If we run into some kind of crazy ancient giant dickwads on the way, we'll deal with them then."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 28/02/13, 03:23 pm

"Yeah," Tzesira settled back into a sitting position with a satisfied grin. "That's the great thing about this fuckin' job. There's always another awesome fight waiting for you."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 28/02/13, 03:44 pm

"Yeah, until someone cuts your head off."

Kallista put her rag down and began the laborious process of reassembling her piecemeal armor.

"We're really lucky as adventuring groups go. We've only had one fatality, and Roscoe came back without any real issues in the end. Eventually our luck is gonna run out."

She sighed.

"I don't know, I just... I keep having a really bad feeling about this whole Nachtur thing."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 28/02/13, 04:37 pm

"Pfft, Kay, you always have really bad feelings. Either we'll kick ass, or we'll die trying. It's gonna be awesome."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 28/02/13, 04:45 pm

"Worry about that when we get to it," Alia advised. "Don't borrow trouble, it'll come looking for you in due course anyway."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 28/02/13, 04:46 pm

"It always does," Kallista added.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 28/02/13, 08:55 pm

Dhenirigan, who slept little on the best of nights, watched the group from where he sat against the far wall of the hut.

"Somtimes," he spoke up quietly, "its easy to forget you're not all used to this. Kallista, that concern, its typical before a big battle. There's always uncertainty in war; it unsettles the nerves. Best not to dwell on it, hmph. As Tzesira said, we will fight, regardless, and, if we die, we can at least hope that our deaths serve a greater cause. Lingering on the thought won't help when the time comes."

He gave a small, indulgent smile.

"Which is not to say I blame you. I worried before every battle I dropped Elise and her troops into. But, like you, she was skilled, wary, and strong. She always came back, and we will too."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/09/17, 06:51 am