Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Investments

Curtana
    God
    God

Investments

Post by Curtana on 20/02/13, 10:22 pm

Vinalia's advice about keeping some money of his own separate from Vedran's had stuck with Aleyn, as had her suggestion that Brenn would be a good person to talk to about such matters. Vedran had seemed a little confused why Aleyn was asking him if it was all right - "of course, it's your money, you can do what you want with it," he had reassured him. "And say hi to Brenn for me while you're there." His mind more at ease, he had therefore made arrangements to meet Brenn at the apartment he was currently renting in Moorcliff, just near the edge, overlooking the lower slopes of the mountain.

Aleyn arrived at Brenn's at the appointed time, and knocked at the door.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Investments

Post by Josh on 20/02/13, 10:33 pm

Brenn had seen Aleyn as the sorcerer entered his building, but he'd been unable to get his attention from a distance. The young noble knew he was running late, and that now meant he actually had to run, jogging to catch up to the adventurer. Thankful he hadn't dropped his exercise regimen when he went groundside, Brenn made the stairs in good time and without too much effort. He reached his floor just as Aleyn was knocking.

"Sorry I'm late," Brenn apologized affably, "I had an appointment up the mountain."

Brenn moved to unlock the door, opening it and gesturing Aleyn inside.

"Come on in."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 20/02/13, 10:36 pm

"Oh, it's fine - I hadn't been waiting long," Aleyn said, smiling. "You didn't have to rush on my account." He stepped inside, taking a look around at Brenn's place. "How are things going? You seem to be keeping busy, at least - hopefully that's a good thing?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/02/13, 12:15 am

"I like to think so," Brenn said with a weary smile, "but we'll find out in Niveus if I'm right."

Brenn stepped inside after Aleyn and closed the door.

"Can I get you something to drink? Or eat? I hope you don't mind if I do; I skipped lunch."

Brenn wandered towards a set of cabinets that held his liquor and dry foods.

"Take a seat anywhere. Normally I'd suggest the balcony for the view, but its been pretty windy off the bay today."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/02/13, 12:21 am

"A drink would be nice, thanks," he said, remembering Brenn's liquor cabinet as being particularly well-stocked. "I already ate, but you go ahead - it won't bother me. Actually, I'd feel guilty if I kept you starving until I was gone."

He glanced around the room and seated himself in a well-padded armchair, hoping he wasn't taking Brenn's usual seat. "Thanks for making the time to talk to me. I'm sure you have a hundred other things that are more important at the moment..."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/02/13, 12:33 am

"Just because I have a thousand things to do doesn't mean I have a thousand important things to do," Brenn said as he gathered together drinks and a light meal. "Besides, always happy to help a friend."

Brenn made his way over with a tray, setting it down on the coffee table between he and Aleyn and taking a seat on his small sofa. He poured glasses of a dry white wine for himself and Aleyn.

"So, what brings you down to Moorcliff?" Brenn asked, offering a glass to Aleyn.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/02/13, 12:36 am

"Well, I was hoping to talk to you about money," Aleyn said with a smile, taking the glass he was offered. "More specifically, about investing it. I know next to nothing about this, but it seems like you do, so I thought you might have some advice."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/02/13, 12:51 am

"I like to think I know a little," Brenn said with a grin. "I guess I should start by saying there are people that do this sort of advising for a living, but I should warn you they take a cut. I'm just saying, they might have broader expertise than I do."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/02/13, 01:00 am

"I'd rather talk to someone I already know and trust," Aleyn said. "Besides, I don't have so much money that I feel like giving a cut of it to someone just for the benefit of their advice," he added with a smirk. "It's really not a lot by some standards, but I'd like to do something more useful with it than just letting it sit in a coffer at the bank."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/02/13, 02:59 am

"What did you have in mind, exactly? Are you looking for a long-term investment, or something shorter? How much were you looking to put in, and how much were you hoping to make back?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/02/13, 07:47 am

Aleyn decided to start with the easiest question first. "I have about 1500 gold saved up. Probably I wouldn't want to put all of that in, I guess - I ought to keep some on hand for expenses that might come up." Like weddings, he thought anxiously. "But maybe about 1200 or so? I don't have any need to get it back fast or to make a huge profit off of it. I'd rather invest in something that would be... relatively secure. I think of this more as a nest egg, I guess."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/02/13, 08:00 am

"Sounds reasonable," Brenn commented, considering. "My expertise tends to be more in inter-city trade, but you could probably find good investments here in Highmark, which would be the least risky proposition."

He paused for a moment.

"Do you still know anyone in the alchemy business? Anyone who might be looking to open up a new shop?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/02/13, 08:10 am

Aleyn considered for a moment. "I think everyone I know in the alchemy business is pretty settled. But... one of my brothers has been wanting to open a workshop of his own for a while now, making glass. Windows, specifically. The problem I can foresee with that is my sister might kill me for taking away one of her employees," he added with a wry smile.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/02/13, 11:03 am

"Well, just be sure to factor payment for bodyguards into your finances," Brenn replied with a reciprocal smile. "That said, its not a bad idea. I've still got some contacts in real estate from finding this place and locating some warehouses for a few other ventures I have going. We can probably find a decent building cheap, and I can start tracking down suppliers. Your family has a good reputation in the trade, and I could talk it up with some people I know up the mountain. Seems like we could generate pretty solid business right off."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/02/13, 12:19 pm

"The thing about Ciryl is, he's excellent at making glass - bad at talking to people. He'd need someone to be the face of the operation, I suspect, if he wanted to get many sales. A good reputation is great, but it'll only get you so far... But I suppose hiring on staff would be necessary in any case, he can't do it all himself. So you really think this would be enough to get something off the ground?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/02/13, 01:05 pm

"On your own? Not really, no. But that's usually how this works, anyway. You could manage this with...likely just another partner, or maybe two. Let me see what I can put together, numbers-wise. If you're wanting to put as much as you said in, I can guarantee you a controlling share..."

Brenn trailed off a bit, lost in thought.

"Uh, anyway, staffing, I imagine, wouldn't be that difficult to manage. Certainly you know people who can handle the sales part of the business. Kallista says your sister Tavya is pretty personable. What about her?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/02/13, 01:14 pm

"It's the kind of thing where I could probably contribute more as time goes on, if that makes any difference," Aleyn said. "Adventuring income is pretty erratic, and it would be nice to have something more steady, even if I'm not planning on using it right now..."

He took a sip of wine, considering. "I could ask Tavya if she would be interested," he agreed. "Although I was also planning to ask her if she'd be willing to help out with the kids... uh, when there are kids to help out with..." He trailed off, shrugging a bit shyly. "But even if she doesn't want to do it herself, she might have friends who would. Uh, for either job."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/02/13, 01:19 pm

"I can probably rustle up a few candidates myself, for the shopkeeper position, at least. Vedran would be more likely to know how to go about finding childcare."

Brenn gave Aleyn an inquiring look.

"How involved are you wanting to be in this? There would be some contracts and such to sign, and decisions you and your brother would have to make together, I think, but, once it gets going, I doubt it would take a lot of personal input from you. Unless you wanted it to, I mean."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/02/13, 01:30 pm

"I have a feeling the next few months - possibly the next few years - are going to be pretty hectic," Aleyn said. "Uh, both professionally and personally. I'm happy to be pretty hands-off in this, unless there's something that's needed of course. I'm certainly not planning to tell Ciryl how to do his job, he knows a lot more than me about glass."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 22/02/13, 12:28 am

"Sounds good," Brenn said with a smile. "Well, like I said, give me a bit to coordinate things. Do you think we can set up a meeting with Ciryl sometime soon? I can probably have some preliminary information in a few days, so we'll have more to work from then."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/02/13, 12:42 am

"Once I tell him it's about setting up a shop of his own, he'll jump at the chance," Aleyn assured Brenn. "Then it'll just be a question of dealing with his severance - namely, ensuring that Lystra doesn't sever anything vital when she finds out he's leaving," he said with a smile. "She's known it was coming for ages, though, so she can hardly complain for too long. Well, I say that, but... sisters," he concluded with a shrug. "She's still annoyed over things I did when I was ten."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 22/02/13, 11:35 am

"I know the feeling; I have two of them myself," Brenn replied amicably. "We could look into replacements for him, if that might help. Do you know if your family's shop is looking for apprentices to help out? Farro has a niece he wants to get out of Thantopolis, given all the recent trouble, and she's the right age to start learning a trade."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/02/13, 01:33 pm

"That might be a good thought," Aleyn agreed. "Lystra's never taken an apprentice so far, I think because she's always had so much readily available sibling help. Maybe selling it to her that way could work - her own kids are quite a few years off from being ready to start learning the trade, if they even decide to go that path, and it would give her something to take her mind off how we're all cruelly abandoning her," he said with a chuckle.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 22/02/13, 02:37 pm

"While we're at it, we'll probably need to scrounge up some workers for your brother, as well. Which of the glaziers' guilds does your family belong to? I can get someone started on the paperwork."

Brenn gave a small laugh and shook his head.

"You Highmarkers and your paperwork..." he said, reaching to refill his glass.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/09/17, 06:50 am