Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Batchelor Number 1?

Curtana
    God
    God

Re: Batchelor Number 1?

Post by Curtana on 13/02/13, 06:45 am

Aleyn was less than impressed, but he nodded. "So within the confines of the house, or while we're away from the city, we could do as we please, as long as we're discreet in public settings? What about you, would you be content with that? What about after there are children?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 13/02/13, 07:30 am

"To be honest, I'm perfectly content as a widower," Derenn offered," but I relish the opportunity for children of my own. Unfortunately for me, adoption is...frowned upon for the likes of me. This arrangement presents a significant personal opportunity. Children were simply never in the cards before."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 13/02/13, 10:04 am

Vedran nodded. That made sense he supposed, but he had to admit that the process made him feel a little like he was being put out to stud. "Do you like children, then?" He smiled, hoping for something they would all have in common.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 14/02/13, 08:11 am

"Of course."

Derenn started to elaborate, to mention his nieces and nephews and their own children, but he felt odd mentioning his love of children in regards to people the same age as his prospective spouse.

"You already have a son, as I recall," he said instead, deflecting.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/02/13, 09:49 am

"I do, yes," Vedran said, smiling more broadly. "Macen will be two a week into the new year."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 14/02/13, 01:57 pm

"Well, then, I hope you won't mind a few more," Derenn responded with a smirk.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/02/13, 03:46 pm

"No not at all." He returned the smirk. "Though if at least some of them could hold off a little longer on expressing any marks, it might be a little easier. I know would make the families happier, but they're not the ones who have to make sure they're not going to hurt themselves, or anyone else. I know Aleyn is planning to adopt some as well, so they should all at least have plenty of others to play with, and hopefully can look out for each other once they're a little older."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 14/02/13, 03:53 pm

Aleyn gave Vedran a grateful smile, and nodded. He hadn't been sure how to bring up the adoption issue, or whether it was even appropriate to mention at this point. "I was planning on two to start with, but who knows what could happen... These things sometimes have a way of growing beyond one's original intentions. Um, if it's not too personal to ask, what sort of dragonmarks would your children be likely to have? How does yours manifest itself?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 14/02/13, 04:13 pm

"Naming would be most likely, though a whole host of dragonmarks is technically possible," Derenn replied casually.

"Personally, my dragonmark allows me to temporarily enhance the abilities of others, though it does require a certain familiarity with the subject."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/02/13, 05:59 pm

Vedran nodded, passing around the little plate of refreshments that had come with the tea to see if anyone wanted some. "Naming is one of the more interesting marks, I think - less flashy, from what I've seen. Or haven't, I suppose."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 14/02/13, 06:49 pm

Aleyn took a sugar cookie so thin and crisp it was almost like lace, and a chocolate-dipped strawberry (Vinalia's staff had evidently gone all out on the treats, especially considering the time of year) and hoped belatedly that they wouldn't be too messy to eat with some degree of decorum. He felt more out of his element with Derenn, and the last thing he needed was getting crumbs or juice all over himself. At least it was finger foods, so he didn't have to play a round of 'guess the fork' first.

"So, how do you use that?" he asked Derenn. "If it only works on other people, it seems like it might be helpful in a more personal, behind the scenes kind of context..." He trailed off, blushing, as he realized his words sounded more suggestive than he had really intended them to be. He tried to cover his embarrassment by taking a bite of the cookie and desperately hoping he hadn't offended anyone.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 15/02/13, 10:55 am

Derenn raised an eyebrow at Aleyn's comment.

"Admittedly, it is something of a personal effect, but perhaps not in the way that you're thinking," he replied with a small grin. "Without getting into the esoterics, I can...heighten the already-dominant traits of others. Usually, it is put to use for magical workings, but its seen plenty of...other uses. The catch is I have to know what I'm amplifying. I cannot make a coward brave or a weakling strong, but, for instance, during the war, I was able to make a ritual which was supposed to affect a few people affect an entire company."

He shrugged modestly.

"It has it's uses."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 15/02/13, 11:13 am

Vedran had blushed slightly at Aleyn's comment himself, but was over his momentary embarrassment by the time Derenn finished his explanation. "It seems like it would! Do you have much training in ritual magic?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 15/02/13, 11:20 am

"Less formal training than an actual mage, but I've picked up quite a lot over the years. Its more of a hobby, really. Melech liked to talk about his research, and I have several friends in relatives in various magical fields. Due to my dragonmark, I have been somewhat in demand as an 'assistant.'"

Derenn nodded towards both of his companions.

"The two of you, on the other hand, have more direct training, yes?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 15/02/13, 11:33 am

Aleyn narrowly avoided dropping his teacup, splashing a few drops onto the carpet. He probably shouldn't have been surprised - it made sense that they would have known each other - but it still threw him for a bit of a loop. Unless it was some totally different Melech... but that seemed unlikely. Setting the delicate cup and plate down carefully to avoid further risks to their contents or structural integrity seemed like the best course of action, but then left him at a loss as to what to do with his hands. He settled for gripping the arms of the chair.

"I... yes, I've trained as a sorcerer and alchemist," he stammered. "Ritual magic isn't my area of expertise, Vedran knows more about that." He glanced over at Vedran for rescue.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 15/02/13, 12:00 pm

"Ahh, yes," Vedran smile apologetically to Aleyn. "You weren't here earlier when we discussed Lord Derenn's friendship with the late Master Damakos." He hoped they could leave aside Aleyn's more personal connection for the moment, he returned to the earlier subject. "Yes, I have had more formal ritual training, and I'd like to do more research to prepare for the Nachtur project, but it's hard to find the time with so much else to manage. We both have more basic arcana training as well."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/09/17, 07:10 pm