Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Batchelor Number 1?

elanya
    God
    God

Batchelor Number 1?

Post by elanya on 07/02/13, 07:46 pm

Vedran was reading, trying to distract himself. Everything was ready for his meeting with Lord Derenn Doumens, he was just waiting for the time to come - and hopefully his visitor. One of his mother's servants would answer the door, then he'd be expected to make some polite conversation with his mother, before he'd be show o the parlour where Vedran was waiting with supposed patience.

The book was interesting, but a bit heavy reading for his current state of mind: an older book examining various internal dissents Nerath had experienced prior to the war, with a few relevant chapters focusing on some unsuccessful Goblinoid rebellions. The author's vision of what it meant to be 'pro-Nerath' differed quite a big from Vedran's, but it was interesting to see how the various issues had been talked about and debated in the past. The section he was reading now focused on Thatopolis, but none of it was staying with him, and he was having a harder time than usual keeping track of the names and past involvements of some of the parties involved.

Eventually he heard the door being answered, and made a concerted effort to seem relaxed and casual, and not like he had been fretting all morning over the meeting - the date - and his various insecurities and anxieties. He reassured himself that at least he was on friendly ground, and that both his mother an (more importantly if things went well) Aleyn were near by.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Batchelor Number 1?

Post by Josh on 07/02/13, 08:40 pm

Derenn smiled indulgently as Vinalia's servant took his coat, taking in the vestibule. It was much as he remembered it, with a few newer pieces he'd be sure to compliment Vinalia on. With a polite "My lord," the servant led Derenn further into the house, to the drawing room.

"Lord Derenn Doumens," the servant announced, somewhat unnecessarily Derenn felt. He'd known Vinalia for quite some time, though admittedly less closely in recent years. Derenn smiled broadly as he entered, an expression Vinalia returned.

"Mistress Falrin, looking lovely as ever," Derenn offered in greeting, giving the proffered hand a polite brush of his lips.

"Lord Doumens, a gentleman as ever," Vinalia responded playfully. As soon as her servant closed the door, she gave a genuine laugh. "Well, aren't we ones for appearances today."

"Some of us have reputations to protect," Derenn replied with a reciprocal chuckle.

The pair fell into an easy rapport, keeping their conversation light. After a few minutes, Vinalia suggested she show Derenn into the parlour. Moments later, they entered with a brief knock on the door.

"Vedran, Lord Derenn Doumens to see you," Vinalia announced with a wink at Derenn as she moved back out of the room.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 07/02/13, 09:19 pm

Vedran rose with a smile, setting his book aside and offering his hand. "Good afternoon, my lord, I'm glad you could join me."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/02/13, 12:17 am

"Likewise, Lord Callais," replied with a smile. "Your mother has a lovely home."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/02/13, 12:59 am

"Thank you, I'll be sure to tell her you said so. Would you care to sit down? I can have the tea brought in whenever you would like."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/02/13, 05:55 am

"Tea would be lovely, thank you," Derenn responded. "I'm surprised you were able to make time in your schedule for a venerable fellow like myself. I know you've been busy with the rest of your team away."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/02/13, 02:02 pm

"I was happy to do so," he answered, ringing the little bell that would bring some of the servants in with the tea, and waiting until his guest was settled to seat himself. It also gave him a moment to decide what to do with Derenn's comment . "Your age doesn't trouble me over much - I think we have other things in common, interests certainly, that make you worth getting to know better. I know you're quite busy yourself, so I am happy you accepted my invitation."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/02/13, 03:18 pm

"You're kind to say so. Every year brings new opportunities for improvement, so we must all do our part. Though I suppose few of us have taken as drastic steps as you. You've been living in Undertow for several months now, as I recall."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/02/13, 03:26 pm

"I have yes - it's been a very eye-opening experience. I'm lucky, though - the community has been well-disposed towards me, for the most part."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/02/13, 06:07 pm

"Yes, I'm given to understand you did a lot of work helping out there after the Disaster. You did a sight better than I did; I spent most of that crisis managing donations up the hill."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/02/13, 06:20 pm

"Well.. I was there when it happened, and they needed someone to help coordinate those donations on the ground. Believe me, though, everything that came down was appreciated." It was eventually appreciated, anyway, but he didn't feel that was necessary or useful to add.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/02/13, 07:11 pm

"That's pleasant to hear, though we both know more could have been done."

Derenn paused as a servant entered with the tea. He thanked her, taking a cup and turning back to Vedran.

"So, what project has you in Highmark with your companions abroad?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/02/13, 07:36 pm

Vedran nodded to Derenn's comment, taking tea himself and thanking the maid as she deposited the tray and made a graceful exit. He smiled at Derenn's question - business first then, this time.

"Well, it is an interesting and important one, but we are trying to keep it relatively quiet for the time being. However it coincides with some of your interests and work, and I would love to tell you about it if you're willing to respect our need for discretion."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/02/13, 08:13 pm

Derenn smirked.

"Well, that certainly intriguing, but now I feel as if I should have brought a solicitor along. I'm hoping my word will be good enough as is."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/02/13, 08:28 pm

"Oh, of courser - it is a matter of some significance though." He paused, waiting for Derenn to finish taking a sip of his tea. "Our business is restoring Nachtur."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/02/13, 09:00 pm

Derenn's teacup paused on its way back to it's saucer as Derenn froze for a moment. His eyes looked momentarily distant before focusing on Vedran's face.

"In what manner?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/02/13, 09:17 pm

Vedran smiled neutrally, unsure how exactly to take his reaction. "In terms of the physical location... Magically, clearly, but I'd rather not go into the details at this point. We know our approach is sound. Politically, in terms of returning it into the control of the Goblinoid peoples while maintaining their connection to Nerath, will be more complicated, but we're doing what we can to lay the groundwork for that as well."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/02/13, 10:02 pm

Derenn frowned.

"As difficult as the magical portion will be, the political side of it was always going to be worse."

His face lightened into a small, inquisitive smile.

"If you don't mind telling me, how exactly did you get involved with this? Several plans have been put forth over the years, but obviously nothing has ever come to fruition."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/02/13, 10:11 pm

Vedran nodded slowly, his uncertainly blooming into a suspicion. A strong suspicion... "Our research is based on some discoveries we made, after the Disaster. We were dissatisfied with the ongoing investigation, and we learned about Damakos's research." He paused at that point, trying to decide how much to pres. But he did want to be sure. Keeping his smile neutral and his tone curious, he continued: "Were you one of his supporters?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/02/13, 10:53 pm

Derenn's smile remained, but grew melancholy.

"In a manner of speaking. Melech and I had been friends for years. When he told me that the Doomstones might be used to reverse their work, and, moreover, that he could get a hold of one, I thought it was another of his flights of fancy. Melech had a tendency towards hasty and rash decisions, as we all learned to our regret."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/02/13, 11:12 pm

Vedran nodded again, his smile turning more sympathetic. He still wasn't sure how he felt about Damakos's miscalculation, the arrogance of performing his dangerous experiments in such a densely populate city, and the deep irony that Highmark's Goblinoid population had suffered the most. "His theory was sound - the stone he obtained, however, was not authentic." He paused again. 'Do you know what his hopes were for the city once it was restored? We were never quite able to determine that, exactly. There are a lot of factions, we know, who will claim an interest."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 09/02/13, 12:10 am

"Well, as I said, Melech had rather high hopes for, well, everything," Derenn replied, sighing. "I believe his plan was to repatriate as many tiefling nobles and patricians as he could in order to guarantee political control of whatever government they hammered out in the aftermath. From there, they would be able to take cues from some of the other cities, granting the goblinoids status as protected citizens and nobility, at least in Nachtur, while still adhering to the letter of Nerathi law."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/02/13, 12:13 am

"Did he have the Tiefling houses on board with that - with granting nobility and rights to the Goblinoids?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 09/02/13, 12:23 am

Derenn grimaced.

"He had...contacts. Some few genuine allies, and several who predicated their support on the successful retaking of Nachtur, but I doubt many of them believed anyone could actually do it. That said, a reclaimed city is an opportunity few Houses could pass up, so, if one were able to maintain control of the city otherwise, negotiating from a more advantageous position is possible."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/02/13, 12:32 am

"Right, we're running in to some of that, but I think most of our allies have a little more faith in us. And most support the idea of giving the goblinoids as much control as we can manage. How much control that will be is yet to be seen, however..."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 26/09/17, 01:18 pm