Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Batchelorette Number 1!

elanya
    God
    God

Re: Batchelorette Number 1!

Post by elanya on 06/02/13, 10:49 pm

Vedran blinked in surprise - he hadn't been expecting that. "That's... Very thoughtful and generous, thank you for even considering it. I think we're both willing to give you as much of that time as we can."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 06/02/13, 10:51 pm

"I know the church of Sehanine will do those sorts of ceremonies," Aleyn added. "But... I'd be the first to admit I don't know how marriage contracts work, but wouldn't your families insist on overseeing all of that technical stuff?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 06/02/13, 11:04 pm

"To an extent, certainly, but we should be able to manage what we want. It may mean some fights over naming and inheritance, but that's common in these instances regardless. Besides, we're a bit older than the usual for these meetings, and Vedran's been married. I think there is some expectation we'll be involved more in these negotiations. We may have to hire our own counsel, but I know several good people who can be discreet. I'm not willing to go so far as to say it will be easy, but it is possible."

Ardith looked aside a moment, her face an apologetic grimace when she turned back.

"I hope this isn't a sore subject, but, Vedran, your father has something of a reputation for...significant involvement in all aspects of his interests. Do you think you can keep him out of this, or agree to what you want?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 06/02/13, 11:17 pm

Vedran frowned, thinking about it for a moment. "I think the latter is more likely - I don't see how it would specifically conflict with any of his interests... But I would fight for it, if I had to."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 06/02/13, 11:22 pm

"That's good to know," Ardith replied seriously. "You may have to."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 06/02/13, 11:32 pm

Vedran nodded slowly, considering all the implications, and looked to Aleyn for his thoughts.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 06/02/13, 11:35 pm

It was all a bit much for Aleyn to try and absorb at once. "So.. do you have any more of that wine?" he asked hopefully.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 06/02/13, 11:38 pm

Vedran smiled at that. "That can be arranged - I think we could maybe all use some. It's a lot to think about."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 06/02/13, 11:46 pm

Once another glass and a second bottle of wine had been procured for the table, and Aleyn had taken a few drinks to steady his nerves, he spoke up again. "This is all more than I was really expecting, but I appreciate that you're willing to consider it at all, Ardith... should I call you Ardith? I suppose what else would I call you... Uh, anyway, is there anything else I ... or either of us... could tell you, answer any questions, that might help you in your decision? I know it won't be a hasty decision, but like you said, it's best if all of us are aware of the situation and nobody is going in blindly."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/02/13, 12:07 am

"Ardith is fine. I hope I wasn't being presumptuous in calling you Aleyn; it seemed silly to stand on ceremony."

"I think its best if we're upfront about things from here on in, so there are things which I hope the two of you have considered. Vedran and I would have to attend a multitude of social functions together, likely even more if your plan works. Are you going to be okay being largely sidelined for that part of his life?"

Ardith looked apologetic.

"And children aren't just an expectation, they're practically a requirement. Even beyond the family considerations, I want children. Is that going to be all right?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 07/02/13, 12:14 am

"Fancy parties aren't really my thing," Aleyn said dryly, "as you've probably had the chance to observe for yourself. I'm willing to be at social occasions if I'm needed, and I imagine I could even bring a guest if it would look better, but it's not something I would be especially upset to be left out of for the most part. I guess if it was taking up every night of the week and I hardly got to see him because of it, I would mind that more."

"As for children, I'm very much in favour of them," he continued with a more encouraging smile. "I'm hoping, once things are more settled, that I'll be able to adopt some myself. Would that be a problem for you?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/02/13, 12:17 am

"Not at all, though I think perhaps Vedran should weigh in here. We're talking about the children we want, but what do you want in that regard?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 07/02/13, 12:48 am

"I supposed I'd assumed they would be at least an expectation," he answered slowly. He hadn't given much thought to what he wanted, though, but maybe he'd just been avoiding the issue. Considering it now, he felt a certain ambivalence - guilt maybe. He loved his son, certainly, but he still harboured fears that his disruptive homelife would have some negative impact on him as he grew older. "I suppose what I want, in that regard, is to know that if I had more, the home I brought them in to was stable, loving, and open."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/02/13, 05:28 am

"Normally I'd think I was overstepping here, but this is a strange enough conversation. Aleyn, you sound like you definitely want children; Vedran, you seem more hesitant. Have you two discussed this already?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 07/02/13, 09:47 am

Vedran sighed a little, trying to stop himself from tensing up again, and glanced at Aleyn before looking back to Ardith. "We'd talked about Aleyn adopting, and we had sort of discussed things in the abstract, about how we would, ideally like our families to interact... Honestly, I'd assumed that anyone who married me would be doing so at least in part for the children, and I hadn't let myself think about it any further. It isn't that I'm hesitant, It's just...after the divorce, with Macen... That's really not what I wanted for him."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 07/02/13, 11:23 am

Aleyn nodded. "As adventurers, I think we both feel some qualms about having children - our work takes us away, sometimes for long periods of time, and it can be dangerous..." He shrugged, glancing over to Vedran. "But we do it in part because we want to try and make things better, safer, for the people we love, including our children - including those who have yet to join us, so to speak. Vedran and I have talked about that, certainly, and about how no family is ever perfect - how the best we can do is to make sure they have a safe, stable home, and people who love them, especially people to fall back on if anything should ever happen to either of us, gods forbid. I think that's something we agree on, anyway," he added with a smile.

"At the time we talked about it last, I was reluctant to ask Vedran to take on a... a parental sort of role for my hypothetical children. We didn't know what would be happening with... with all of this," he waved his hand vaguely, "and I know he doesn't like making promises he might not be able to keep, so I didn't raise the issue. I didn't want to put him in a position where he would feel obligated to them even though they're not technically *his*, and I hoped that my family would step up to care for them if necessary, anyway. But maybe that's something we need to discuss further." He reached out and patted Vedran's hand reassuringly. "Macen has lots of people right now who would take care of him, including me - I love him, and I'd want to make sure he was always safe and looked after, but I know there would be lots of people ahead of me in that line... Macen will be fine, even if it's not what you wanted for him."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 07/02/13, 04:16 pm

"I know. I realize there are more details to sort out, but I suppose my point is that in a home where children are wanted, I would want them. I'd just like the home to come first."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/02/13, 04:36 pm

"That's entirely fair, and I feel the same way," Ardith replied. "Well, maybe a bit more...hopeful than you sound, but reasonably close."

She gave a small smile.

"I think, if I'm going to make an informed decision on this, I'm going to need to spend some more time with both of you, together and separately. Does that sound reasonable? Certainly we can manufacture some excuses for propriety's sake."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 07/02/13, 04:39 pm

Vedran smiled warmly at that. "I think that would be wonderful." He looked to Aleyn, though - he'd had less time to talk to her, but Vedran hoped he would be amenable."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 07/02/13, 05:31 pm

"I'm willing to give it a try," Aleyn agreed, smiling as well. "Um... just so we're all clear, I'm not really interested in women... romantically. But I'd like to get to know you as a friend."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/02/13, 05:41 pm

Ardith gave a small chuckle.

"I'd gotten that impression, yes. I was meaning to build a strictly platonic relationship. If this proceeds, it sounds as though we'll be spending a fair amount of time together, and I'd like to make sure that's as pleasant as possible."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 07/02/13, 05:45 pm

"Agreed," Aleyn said, relieved that they were on the same page. "So... if this did proceed, would you envision us living in the same house, then? I had been figuring that wouldn't be possible, but from some of the things you've said, maybe that isn't the case?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/02/13, 05:48 pm

"I'm not averse to the idea," Ardith replied after a moment's consideration. "I hope you won't take it the wrong way if I say it might need to wait a little while, to maintain appearances."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 07/02/13, 06:00 pm

"No, certainly, I understand that," Aleyn told her. "Vedran's made it clear all along that appearances matter in this world, and so I've tried to get used to that idea. And I don't have any desire to make things difficult for anyone - not for you or Vedran or the children, anyway." He left out the part where he considered saying that he didn't care overly much if extended family members were made uncomfortable by his presence.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/02/13, 12:26 am

"Thank you again, Ardith," Vedran repeated, offering her his hand. "I'm looking forward to getting to know you better."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 18/11/17, 07:53 pm