Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

POLITICS! POLITICS!

tuck
    God
    God

POLITICS! POLITICS!

Post by tuck on 19/12/12, 05:14 pm

Kallista stepped out onto the small second story balcony and looked over the scenic view of the river and lower neighborhoods.

"Wow, nice view," she said, turning to put one arm around Brenn's waist as he stepped out to join her.

"It's weird having you in town all the time. I'm still so used to always seeing you on the Highwind. Maybe this politics thing will have its perks."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Re: POLITICS! POLITICS!

Post by Josh on 19/12/12, 05:19 pm

Brenn grinned, giving an exaggerated glance at Kallista as he stepped out to the balcony.

"I couldn't agree more."

The grin turned weary as she continued.

"I'm hoping so, if not for me then for the people I'll be working for. Its already had its downsides. I can't believe how bad I felt watching the Highwind head out without me."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 19/12/12, 05:29 pm

Kallista leaned her head against Brenn's shoulder.

"Aww, poor thing. I guess I'll just have to try twice as hard to make it worth your while."

She grinned mischievously.

"I know it's hard for you, but it's a good thing you're doing. You'll have a chance to make some real changes here."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 19/12/12, 05:41 pm

"I'll hold you to that," Brenn replied with a small chuckle.

He sighed, taking in the view.

"Yeah, that's the hope. I've been giving myself a crash course in Highmark politics and policy in the last month and a half, and, while its arguably better than a lot of places, there's still some major flaws with the system."

Brenn's expression hardened slightly as he looked down towards Undertow.

"Despite all its talk of democracy, about a third of this city can't vote. I know that's still better than Aethrennar or even Mythragal, but this is supposed to be the example for the other cities. If they can't do better here, what do they expect elsewhere?"

He glanced at Kallista, somewhat sheepishly.

"Sorry, this has become something of an obsession. I doubt you came over tonight to discuss the political situation of Highmark."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/12/12, 11:07 am

"I came here to be with you," Kallista said with a reassuring smile, "If that means talking city politics, then I'm happy to do it. Besides, you're right. As much as I love this city, it isn't perfect. A lot of people are hurting, and most of them don't even have a voice to tell anyone. If you think that you can change that, then I want to help. However I can."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 20/12/12, 03:28 pm

Brenn favored Kallista with a wink and mischievous smile.

"You might be sorry you said that. There're some functions, fundraising and such, coming up, and I could use a beautiful and famous date on my arm..."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/12/12, 03:50 pm

"As long as I'm not off on an adventure I'm all yours. I'll take any excuse to break out my nice dresses, you know that."

Kallista nudged Brenn playfully in the ribs.

"But won't it be scandalous for you to be seen dating a tiefling?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 20/12/12, 03:56 pm

Brenn have an exaggerated exhalation as Kallista elbowed him, laughing.

"Nah, I'm an elomen. We get more of a pass on that sort of thing. Besides, dateability may be one of my major selling points in this campaign. There are a lot of nobles with a lot of daughters to try to marry off. Who knows, maybe really rich ones with sons, too."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/12/12, 04:02 pm

"Ha!" Kallista laughed, "And here I figured it would take at least a couple of months before you started selling out. Can they at least be cute noble's daughters who are not opposed to threesomes?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 20/12/12, 04:05 pm

"Oh, I'm sure that will be easy enough to find. Besides, I'm not selling out, I'm...buying in? I mean, I don't plan on marrying anytime soon, but if they want to curry favor with an eligible Aelindar, who am I to stop them?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/12/12, 04:17 pm

"Well, they can do all the currying they want as long as they're willing to share nicely."

She smiled and pulled him in closer for a kiss.

"Do you know what sort of competition you should expect?" she asked when they finally pulled apart.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 20/12/12, 04:39 pm

"Well, luckily two of the four open seats are being given up by their incumbents. Ananais Sarasset is retiring, and Merrik Jireh is looking to a seat in the Parliament. I guess technically Orisoph Mettaner is leaving, too, but Lorette Kirchner will take the gnome seat in a walk."

Brenn sighed.

"As for me, Raiann Aethelin is my toughest competitor, but, if all works out, we'll get the two open seats. We've got some similar ideas, so it'd be helpful to have an ally in place. Berner Brightsun's another possible problem, but class prejudice will luckily work for me on that score. That may be something I'm trying to fight, but Brightsun's pretty staunchly anti-NPC, especially goblins, so I'll take what help I can get."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/12/12, 04:44 pm

"Sounds... complicated." Kallista said, trying to follow the string of names, "Maybe you should have a meeting with... Aethelin, right? If you have that much in common you could run a coordinated campaign. Put up a united front."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 20/12/12, 04:50 pm

"I've been thinking about it, but she's running on an Erathin platform, and she probably wants to distance herself from an out-of-towner, and a Mythragali to boot."

Brenn gave his sheepish smile again.

"Sorry, this is all pretty dry. Why don't we have some drinks and loosen up the conversation some."

He gestured back into the apartment.

"How was the trip to Ahkas?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/12/12, 05:32 pm

"Some wine sounds great right now," Kalista said as she headed back into the apartment and towards the liquor cabinet.

"Akhas was interesting. I had a long, plant-assisted discussion with one of the priests of Avandra in the temple at Yeshual. Which reminds me, I picked something up for us for later, if you're interested."

She winked and reached for a bottle of red wine, prying out the cork.

"Other than that it was mostly either walking, running, fighting, or breaking people out of prison. Let's just say that we're probably not welcome back in at least one city."

She looked around briefly, unsure of where things were located in Brenn's new abode.

"Where do you keep the glasses?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/12/12, 05:15 pm

"Cabinet on the left, just through that door," Brenn replied, pointing, before settling down on his sofa.

"Well, at least its trouble elsewhere. You guys are usually in enough trouble in the Confederacy as it is."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/12/12, 05:24 pm

Kallista found the glasses and brought them back to the couch, handing one to Brenn with a grin.

"You sure you want to be seen with a wanted criminal? Could be bad for your campaign."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/12/12, 05:33 pm

"A wanted criminal in Ahkas. That might help."

Brenn grinned back, taking the proffered drink.

"Besides, I'm willing to be seen anywhere with you. There are some sacrifices I'm not sure I'm prepared to make for public office."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/12/12, 06:15 pm

"Good," Kallista said, curling up next to him on the sofa, "Because you're stuck with me. I'm not going anywhere"

She took a sip of the dry wine and sighed.

"Brenn..." she said hesitantly, "Can I ask you something?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/12/12, 09:42 pm

Brenn looked over, curious.

"Absolutely anything."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/12/12, 10:37 pm

Kallista held his arm and rested her head on his shoulder.

"Aleyn and I went to visit the orphanage the other day and we were talking. He thinks that someday he might want to adopt a kid. I was just... I was wondering, would you... do you ever think about, someday... not now, but someday... having a family?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/12/12, 11:06 pm

"Part of me wants to give a flippant answer, but I doubt that's what you're looking for."

Sighing, Brenn paused a moment before answering.

"Truthfully? I'm noble, and marked. Its pretty much a given I'll have to have kids someday. But I guess I'd never really though about being a father, actually having a family."

"I...I know it can't compare to your childhood, but, for us nobles, children mean something different. Well, at least for a lot of people. Children, however much they may be loved, are bargaining chips, commodities. I wouldn't want to do that to a kid."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/12/12, 11:15 pm

"Yeah..." Kallista said quietly, "I wouldn't either. I just... I don't know. Forget I said anything."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/12/12, 11:22 pm

Brenn spoke up quickly, worried.

"Hey now, I'm just saying how I'd want to treat any child I would have, or, at least, how I wouldn't. I wasn't saying I don't want a family, someday. I'm saying...Kallista, I've never had a chance to think of a family as something I want, as opposed to something I have to do."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/12/12, 11:37 pm

Kallista smiled and held his arm closer.

"I'm sorry, I'm being silly. I mean, with the kind of life I lead, and the life I've had, I don't know if I'd make a great mother anyway. It's just kinda been on my mind lately."

She shrugged.

"I don't know, maybe with everything that's happened, with Roscoe's death, it's made me reevaluate some things... made me think about what it is I really want. I'm just trying to figure out what that is, and I want to know what it is you want, too."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 18/11/17, 08:01 pm