Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

One day in Oshuar

Curtana
    God
    God

One day in Oshuar

Post by Curtana on 19/12/12, 04:54 pm

There wouldn't be much time in Oshuar, it seemed likely - they would probably be leaving as soon as they were able to get a portal back, now that they had tracked down Dheni and Sorrow, so Aleyn wanted to make the most of the time he had. First, though, he needed to talk to Vedran. "Hey, uh, so... I was going to go see if I could find any of my mother's family. I understand if you don't want to come... I really have no idea how things will go, if they're even willing to talk to me, and I don't want to put you in an uncomfortable position. I mean, I'd be happy if you wanted to come, but don't feel obliged..."
    elanya
    God
    God

Re: One day in Oshuar

Post by elanya on 19/12/12, 05:01 pm

"I can come - I don't think any of us should be wandering off alone, for one thing, and I'm not really worried about *my* position..." He smiled. "As long as you don't mind if I ask them if they have any trade connections in Sanjamar or Versimar."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 19/12/12, 07:07 pm

"No, that's fine. Hey, if we get that far in terms of talking to them, I'll be thrilled," Aleyn said with a weary smile.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 19/12/12, 08:21 pm

"Alright then." Vedran offered Aleyn his arm. "Did you want to try asking around the markets? Oshuar has a little industrial quarter to, and that's probably where the workshop is."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 19/12/12, 10:50 pm

"The market seems like the best place to start. Maybe we can get directions from there, if we're lucky," Aleyn said, taking Vedran's arm so that they could head out on their search.

The market in Oshuar was partly covered with canvas awnings, which made staying out of the sun's heat somewhat easier. After a bit of wandering, they managed to locate a shop selling a finer quality of glassware that seemed promising. Aleyn took a deep breath, mentally rehearsing what he wanted to say, as they approached the young woman who seemed to be in charge.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 19/12/12, 11:36 pm

The young woman visibly brightened as Aleyn and Vedran approached, obviously putting on an expression reserved for customers.

"Good morning! How can I help you on this lovely day?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 20/12/12, 12:15 am

"Good day," Aleyn said to her, smiling. "I hope you can help me. I'm looking for the Shenarith workshop, on a matter of some importance. Do you happen to know where I might find it?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 20/12/12, 03:39 pm

The merchant's expression soured slightly at the diminished likelihood of a sale, but she answered regardless.

"Potter's Row, up from the docks, just before you get to the Tinker District. They display some large works out front, you can't miss it."

Her smile returned as she tried to salvage the exchange.

"We've a few of their wares here, though, if I can save you the trip."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 20/12/12, 03:51 pm

Vedran had been looking around some of the decorative works to give Aleyn a chance to talk to the merchant, but he's been distracted by a miniature glass harp suspended on a cord. If they were going to be leaving by portal, it might even survive the trip home, assuming nothing else went wrong... It was the sort of thing *his* mother might like, and might put the merchant in a better mood for answering a few more questions.

"Actually, how much is this?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 20/12/12, 06:16 pm

After they paid the (now rather more cheerful) merchant and inquired unsuccessfully about any knowledge she might have had of available passage to Kelnewar or Versimar, Aleyn and Vedran made their way to the docks, then searched for Potter's Row. As the merchant had promised, once they were in the right area the workshop was easy to spot. "I assume that's it," Aleyn said, nodding in the direction of what looked like a large, rambling structure with several smaller outbuildings and a pair of large, ornate glass sculptures flanking the door. When he looked more closely, he noticed that even the sign was made out of stained glass. "Well. I suppose the best thing to do is just go in and talk to them." He looked nervous but determined, giving Vedran's hand another squeeze for reassurance before heading up to the door.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 21/12/12, 10:32 am

Vedran squeezed back, and smiled reassuringly. "It will be fine. Do you noiw what you want to say? I don't know a lot about how things work in the family-run guilds like this, but the first person we talk to might not be family. You could try asking for one of your uncles, maybe? If they aren't available, maybe they'll foist us off on a son or daughter. That might even be better, really..."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/12/12, 10:36 am

"I sort of have it worked out in my head," Aleyn said. "If I'm talking to one of her siblings, or someone else old enough to have known her, I kind of assume they'll recognize my name once I introduce myself, and we can go from there depending on how they react. But if it's someone younger, I guess I don't know how much they'll know about her, and I'll probably have to explain it more..."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 21/12/12, 10:45 am

Vedran nodded. "Well, I'll be quiet, unless you need me, then." If things looked to be going sour, he could help smooth things over, but this was really Aleyn's mission. He paused before they pushed open the doors, smoothing out Aleyn's coat, brushing off some of the travel dust and straightening his hair, then gave him a quick kiss and a smile. "Ready?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/12/12, 10:49 am

Aleyn smiled, kissing him back. "I'd better be," he said, but he still looked nervous as he pushed open the door to head inside.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/12/12, 06:09 pm

"Quit gossiping and get back to work you three," Hamara scolded, chuckling. She made a playful swat at the nearer of the adolescents. The cousins were closer than siblings, and they had a tendency towards troublemaking. She had a feeling she'd need to have a talk with their parents sooner rather than later. Sighing, she moved through the light curtain over the doorway through to the store and showroom. With approval, she noted a good amount of customers milling about.

Spotting a pair of new customers just walking through the door, she made her way over to them with a pleasant smile on her face. They had the look of foreigners (the half-elf especially was dressed far too nicely for an Ahkasic caitiff), but there was something familiar about the human.

"Hello and welcome, good sirs," she offered in accented Nerathi.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/12/12, 06:16 pm

Aleyn looked the woman over - she seemed old enough that she could possibly be his aunt, but he wasn't sure. "Hello," he replied in Ahkasic. "Do I have the honour of addressing one of the Shenarith family? My name is Aleyn Harrowden." He waited to see if she showed any recognition of the surname, bracing himself in case it wasn't a good one.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/12/12, 06:24 pm

Hamara's eyes widened at Aleyn's last name, taken aback for a moment. They quickly narrowed as her gaze studied the sorcerer's feature with greater scrutiny.

"I'm Hamara Shenarith, hrarib. Whereabouts might you be from?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/12/12, 06:30 pm

Aleyn recognized the name from a few stories his mother had told, when she was in one of her more reminiscent moods. His aunt's face reminded him somewhat of hers, a little thinner, more lined, but he could see some resemblance there now that he was looking for it. "From Highmark, in Nerath. My mother is Nasira, born Shenarith, now Harrowden. I'm her oldest son." He tried to keep his voice as calm and level as he could, uncertain what she might say, half-expecting to be kicked out of the shop immediately.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/12/12, 09:41 pm

It took a moment for Hamara to process Aleyn's response. Her face exploded into a wide smile as she responded.

"Salema Majmura*! Come, come," she exclaimed, stepping towards Aleyn.

"Let me have a look at you," Hamara continued in Ahkasic, reaching up to take Aleyn's chin in her hand. She turned his head from side to side, smiling.

"Yes, yes, I can see it, though its been so long. What brings you here to Oshuar? I should bring the others. Oh, Host, so much to ask..."

(*-Blessings of the Host)
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/12/12, 09:56 pm

Aleyn's worried expression broke into a relieved smile. "We were here to... to meet some friends, and we had a little extra time, so I thought... I didn't know what you would say to see me here, but I couldn't not at least try..." He stumbled a bit over his words, too nervous and excited to be completely coherent. "Oh! And, uh, this is my... my very dear friend, Vedran."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 21/12/12, 10:49 pm

Vedran smiled, in bemusement at Aleyn and in greeting to Hamara. "A pleasure to meet you, Master Shenarith."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 21/12/12, 11:04 pm

"Greetings to you as well, Vedran ir'Harrowden," Hamara offered with an imperious nod. Turning back to Aleyn, she continued.

"How is your mother, nephew? So far from home and family these many years, we have worried."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 21/12/12, 11:09 pm

Vedran shrugged at his dismissal. They weren't going to be around long enough for it to become an issue, really. There was no sense in either he or Aleyn making a big deal about her assumptions.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/12/12, 11:13 pm

Aleyn glanced over to Vedran, but turned his attention quickly back to his aunt. "She is well..." He tried to rack his brain for the right things to say to her, wanting to ask her questions of his own, and having so much to tell, but not wanting to overwhelm her. "She's master of her own shop in Highmark, and some of my brothers and a sister work in the family business too. There's seven of us, all together - five sons, two daughters. I'm the oldest... but I guess I already said that, didn't I... Uh, what else... My father... well, he died last year," he said, his smile fading. "But they were always very happy together. She spoke of you sometimes, and I know she missed you... misses you... and all her family, really. She..."

He paused, reluctant to perhaps spoil things by bringing up old hurts, but it couldn't be avoided forever, and they didn't have much time. "She told me she wrote sometimes, in the early days, but never got any answer, and so she stopped. I'm sorry...maybe there was some mistake, but I'd be happy to pass along any messages you or the rest of your family might have for her."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 02/01/13, 07:42 pm

Hamara gave a small, indulgent smile at her nephew's obviously flustered state.

"Post is never reliable at the best of times, and after we drove...after the wars ended, it was worse. None of us really knew how to reach her."

Her smile grew.

"I'm glad to hear Nasira is doing well for herself. We'd feared she'd given up all for her Nerathi, but it sounds as though she's made a fine life. I hope your father's people have taken good care of you all."

Her face screwed up in an obvious attempt at condolence.

"I'm sorry to hear about your father; 'the soldier's life is never his own.'"

Hamara laid a fist across her heart with her index finger extended, a gesture Aleyn vaguely recognized as a salute to Dol Dorn, the Ahkasic god of war.

"Perhaps, as you have, Nasira might return to us one day, if only for a time."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 24/07/17, 11:44 am