Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Training Day

tuck
    God
    God

Re: Training Day

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 01:47 pm

"Well..." Kallista said, grabbing a long, thin filleting knife off of a nearby rack, "Let's start off by seeing how much you know. Can you point out where its liver is?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 02:13 pm

Len tilted his head, trying to orient himself around the upside-down hog. "Um... here?" he hazarded, pointing to a spot that was probably a hand's span off, but at least in the right general area of the carcass.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 02:21 pm

"That's close..." Kallista said. She tapped the tip of the knife against the animal's carcass about four inches beneath where his finger was pointing.

"Right here. Above the stomach and about half hidden by the ribs. A good, solid hit there can be crippling, or at least extremely painful, but it's probably not fatal, especially if you treat the wound afterwards. It's good for when you want to bring someone down quickly. Unfortunately, you have to hit it pretty spot on to avoid getting your blade stuck in the ribs, and a lot of heavy armors will cover the whole area anyway. Against spellcasters and other light armor users, though, this shot can save your ass."

She tossed the knife lightly in the air a few inches, grabbing it by the tip of the blade and handing it to Len, handle-first. With her other hand she reached up and set the pig to spinning slowly around on its chain.

"Now..." she said, "Lets see you hit it."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 02:46 pm

Adjusting his grip on the knife, Len moved around the pig as it swung slowly, waiting until the right area came into his sight once more. When he was in position, he took a deep breath and swung with all his strength, driving the blade into the animal's side, where it stuck, quivering. "Did I get it?" he asked eagerly.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 02:58 pm

"Well..." Kallista said, biting her lip slightly, "If you mean the pig, then yes. If you mean the liver... not so much."

She stopped the pig from spinning and tugged lightly on the blade, which was stuck fast.

"See, you hit the ribs. Like I said, it's a tricky shot. In combat that would mean you just lost your sword."

She braced her other hand against the pig and tugged as hard as she could. There was a snapping sound as one of the ribs cracked and the blade came free.

"Remember, it's not about strength. You're not a barbarian. It's all about precision. If you're hitting accurately you should only need a few pounds of pressure to penetrate. If you're not hitting accurately, all the extra force is going to do is get your blade stuck."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 04:38 pm

"Oh... that makes sense," Len said, looking embarrassed. "I hope I didn't wreck the knife."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 04:46 pm

Kallista held the blade up to eye level. There was a slight nick in it, but nothing that wouldn't come out with a good sharpening.

"Nah, it's ok for now. Just try to avoid stabbing hard and try to avoid hitting bone. Later on I'll show you the right way to sharpen and oil a blade and we can make sure that Kor doesn't decide to put us in tomorrow's stew."

She handed him the knife back and set the pig swinging again.

"Now try again. Remember to breathe this time, and take it easy. Focus on where you're aiming. Keep your eyes open."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 04:52 pm

Trying to remember all of Kallista's instructions, Len focused on the spot he was aiming for (it was easier to see where he'd already struck once, and aim a bit lower) and slid the blade in more smoothly this time. "Better?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 05:07 pm

"Much better!" Kallista said with a smile. She took hold of the knife and pulled it out smoothly without feeling it brush against any bone.

"Now do it again," she added, passing him the knife once more.

For the next two hours, Len continued stabbing at the hunk of meat, continually adjusting his aim. As the morning wore on, Kallista showed him other vital spots: jugular, femoral artery, kidneys, lungs, groin. By the end of the session Len was hitting two out of three shots and able to vary his attacks based on the position of the pig, but his arm was aching from stabbing and he could barely keep a grip on his weapon. The cold burned his ears but still a sheen of sweat stood out on his forehead from the exertion.

Finally, Kallista called him to a halt.

"Good. That's a good start," she said as he stood panting, his breath fogging in the cold air.

"When you go home I want you to make a practice dummy. Stuff it with leaves or old paper and cloth. Practice this every day - EVERY day - until you can hit at least nineteen times out of twenty consistently. Then start practicing hitting those spots with your bow."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 09:38 pm

Len nodded, catching his breath. "Ok, I'll do that. I mean, the dummy and the knife I can manage. I'll have to think about where I can set up to practice with the bow, though. Somewhere where there's enough room, and where if I miss it's not going to kill anyone."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 09:57 pm

"Hmmmm..." Kallista said, "Well, when me or Aleyn are around we can get you into the archery range here, but otherwise... do you know anyplace out on the outskirts of town? Maybe on a rooftop or something?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 24/10/12, 09:20 am

"Hm, yeah, that gives me some ideas of places I could try," Len said, putting down the knife and rubbing his reddened hands together to warm them up. "Was there anything else you wanted to show me today?" His voice suggested he was feeling a bit worn out, but still eager to learn if Kallista was willing to teach.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 24/10/12, 09:25 am

Kallista laughed, rubbing her own hands together in the cold air. Her tiefling blood wasn't made for this sort of cold.

"Tell ya what, let's go get some lunch and then I'll show you around a bit more. I think that's enough physical training for now."

She moved to the door of the cold storage and pulled it open, reveling in the warm rush of air. Korlish wash in the process of serving a growing line of adventurers starting to wander in for lunch.

"Brrrr..." Kallista said as they stepped out, "Man, I didn't realize how cold that was gonna be."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 18/11/17, 08:00 pm