Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Training Day

Curtana
    God
    God

Re: Training Day

Post by Curtana on 22/10/12, 09:47 pm

"Hey, my mother and about half my siblings have been trying to scare me off this for years, it hasn't worked yet," he said with a shrug and a smile that faded somewhat as he kept talking. "I was thirteen when Aleyn, you know, got all messed up. I saw what he was like when he got back - he stayed at home for a while until he was doing better enough to be out on his own again. I know things can go wrong."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/10/12, 10:35 pm

Kallista nodded.

"Your family cares about you a lot. They want you to be happy, but they also want you to be safe. I... can't really say I know what that's like, but I'm sure they mean well. It's a really dangerous job."

As they crossed another sidestreet she smiled, trying to lighten the mood some.

"But hey, there are good parts, too. Really good parts. Travel, action, lots of cute guys. And girls. And the money is awesome. At least, Everyone else says it is. I don't really have anything else to compare it to. It's certainly enough to live comfortably, though."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/10/12, 10:51 pm

"Yeah. But every job can be a dangerous job," he said. "My father made glass for a living, and he died in some random stupid explosion. Horrible things happen all the time to people just doing ordinary stuff. At least if I know how to fight and how to stay alive I have a better chance of avoiding that."

He shrugged, trying to smile back. "I'd be lying if I said the good parts weren't appealing, though."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 09:39 am

Kallista nodded.

"I just want to make sure you understand what you might be getting into. I also don't want you to be too dissapointed if it doesn't pan out. I mean, you have an advantage since your brother is already an adventurer, and it sounds like you've been training already, but it's far from a sure thing, even if you do well on the tests. Hell, I barely made it in myself, and my parents taught me to use a blade before I could read."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 09:43 am

"No, I know. That's why I was so excited to get the chance to practice with you," he said, smiling. "Well, part of why."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 09:44 am

"Oh?" Kallista said with a subtle grin, "What's the other part?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 09:49 am

"Oh, uh, well, because you're really nice, and pretty," he said, blushing. "You did tell me to practice flirting," he added with a shy smile. "So...yeah. Ignore that last part."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 09:58 am

Kallista laughed and put her hand on the young man's shoulder.

"You were doing fine. That was a good opening. You just need to work on your follow through. Stay confident; people respond to confidence. Don't backpedal, it shatters your confidence and makes you sound indecisive."

"Besides, telling a girl she's pretty and nice is never a bad thing," she added with a wink.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 10:04 am

"Oh, ok. Bretyn says that too, about confidence, and I know he always has lots of girlfriends, but I can't seem to manage it the way he does. And I didn't want it to come off like... like I'm just using this as an excuse to try and hit on you, either. You're also really talented and I know you can teach me a lot."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 10:11 am

"Don't worry," Kallista said with a reassuring smile, "I know you're not *just* hitting on me."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 10:13 am

"Oh, good," Len smiled back. "So... sort of on that subject, can I ask you a question about how things work in the Union?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 10:13 am

"Of course!" Kallista said, "That's what I'm here for."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 10:17 am

"So let's say you get assigned to a group - I know they try to balance things in terms of your skills and abilities, as much as they can anyway, but personality's an entirely different matter. What happens if you really don't get along with someone on your team? Or what if you like them as more than just a friend? I know they try to discourage that because it can screw things up, but I mean, it must happen, so how should you handle it? It's not really the sort of thing I could ask Aleyn," he said with a shrug.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 10:31 am

Kallista thought for a moment, recalling the recent feud between Tzesira and Nashira.

"Well, it does happen. Personalities can clash at the most inopportune times, especially with people from such diverse backgrounds as the Union boasts. Fortunately, most of that ussually gets sorted out after the first few adventures. Once you've been arm to shoulder with someone staring down a charging ogre, a lot of that stuff tends to seem petty. There's a really strong bond that forms between you and your team, and it helps a lot. If there's someone you really, really can't stand, the guild does have mediation services, or at least it's supposed to. Some GMs are better about it than others. And if worse comes to absolute worst you can always put in a transfer request for a different team, or go as a free agent."

"As far as relationships within teams, yeah, they try to discourage it, but I guess I know better than most just how much you can bend that rule. Monti is always frustrated with me because of it. Unfortunately, there's no real easy answer. You do what you have to. That bond I mentioned can be very, very strong, and sometimes one form of love can become another. You just have to make sure it doesn't cloud your judgement."

Kallista paused for a moment, her own words echoing in her ears. Her thoughts turned back to Tzesira.

"Maybe... maybe I'm not the best person to give that particular advice."

Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 10:45 am

Lenyard gave Kallista a quizzical look, but didn't pry. "I suppose mostly people sort things out amongst themselves. But it's good to know there are ways to deal with problems if they come up, I guess. It must be awesome to have a team you really bond with, though."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 11:18 am

"It is," Kallista said with a genuine smile.

She looked up and was almost surprised to notice that they were already nearing their destination.

"Oh hey, we're here!" she said as they approached the main gate to the courtyard, "Have you ever been in the Union before?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 11:23 am

"Yeah, when I was little," he said. "Back when Aleyn was adventuring the first time, he brought me and Tav and Bretyn to look around once. But it was a long time ago, I was only about seven or eight."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 11:46 am

"It's a neat place," she said, opening the wrought iron gate for him, "I've lived here for the past year. A lot of people think the dorms are cramped and crowded, but where I come from that much space is kind of a luxury. I actually only just moved out a few days ago. Most people don't stick around the dorms longer than their first few adventures. Just long enough to be able to afford a place of their own."

She pointed at the various long buildings as they entered the courtyard.

"Those are the main dormitories. The training facilities are on the left up here. That section over there is the libraries and administrative offices. For now, though, we're heading to the kitchen."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 11:52 am

"I'm used to cramped and crowded," Len said. "Also, smelly. Lots of brothers," he added with a smile. "I only got a room to myself when Bretyn moved out, and until Aleyn left I used to share with Ciryl too." He looked around the Union with considerable interest, asking questions about things they passed. "What's in the kitchen?" he inquired eventually, puzzled.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 12:23 pm

"Food, generally," She replied playfully, "And also your first lesson in being a rogue."

She opened one of the side doors that lead into the Union cafeteria, allowing him to slip in behind her. The room was expansive, but at this time of the midmorning it was relatively empty. The breakfast rush was mostly over and the lunch crowd was still several hours away. Only a few stragglers, most obviously hungover, still hung around at the various tables.

Kallista lead the way up to the serving line where a large, gruff looking orc covered in tattoos and a stained apron stood stirring a pot of what looked like oatmeal.

"Well hey there, little lady!" he chortled, "Right on time."

Kallista grinned at the large orc.

"Hey yourself, big guy!" she said.

She getured to Lenyard.

"Korvish, this is Len. He's actually Aleyn's younger brother. Len, this is Korvish. He may not look it, but he's a hell of a cook, and he's in charge of the meals here. Get on his good side."

"Charmed!" Korvish said, extending a large, greasy hand.

Last edited by tuck on 23/10/12, 03:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 12:31 pm

"Nice to meet you," Len said cheerfully, shaking the orc's hand. "So, what do you recommend on the menu today?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 12:54 pm

"Hah! I don't serve it if it isn't good," Korvish said with a wide grin, "But Kallista here has something special planned for you."

"Speaking of..." Kallista interjected, "Is it all set?"

"Sure thing, it's all set up in the fridge. Just don't do anything untoward with it. I still gotta serve it for dinner tomorrow. Watersday is stew night around here."

"Don't worry, we'll be as gentle as possible," Kallista said with a smile.

Kallista stepped behind the counter and gestured for Len to follow her towards a metal door near the back of the kitchen.

"Thanks again, Kor! You're the best!"

The orc smiled.

"Any time, sweet thing."

Kallista opened the door to the refrigerated store room and waited for Len.

"Hope your okay with the cold," she said, "We may be in here for a little while."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 12:58 pm

Len shivered as he stepped into the storeroom, looking around at the slabs of meat hanging in cold storage. "So the lesson is on finding out what exactly goes into the stew?" he joked.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/10/12, 01:13 pm

"No, that lesson isn't until level five at least," Kallista said with a grin, "Today's lesson is anatomy."

She walked over to one of the large hogs hanging by its feet from a meat hook and put her hand on it, spinning it slowly around for Len to see.

"This is your new best friend, Mr. Pig. Their organs and bones are very similar to tieflings... and by extension humans and other humanoids. When my mom was teaching me as a kid she used to make me practice stabbing on these guys all the time."

Kallista decided it was best to leave out the fact that her mother only used pigs when there weren't any humanoid subjects around to practice on.

"Learning to stab or put an arrow or shuriken in just the right place is the entire backbone of what it means to be a rogue. Anything else you learn is going to mostly be used to set up your shots for maximum precision. This is the most important test dummy you'll ever have."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/10/12, 01:26 pm

"Okay..." Len said uncertainly, eyeing the carcass. "At least it can't fight back, I suppose. Or move around. That makes things easier. Where do I start?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/11/17, 01:52 am