Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Training Day

tuck
    God
    God

Training Day

Post by tuck on 20/10/12, 03:46 pm

Kallista passed the fountain near the Harrowden household with an easy smile spread across her face. The air was cool, but not cold, the sun was shining, and the last few weeks had been a wonderful time for Kallista. It was almost enough to make her forget about cults and family and invasions.

Now that she finally had some downtime, it was time for her to keep a promise she had made more than a month ago to a certain young would-be-adventurer.

She walked up to the tumbledown house and knocked sharply at the door, her tail swishing lazily behind her.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Re: Training Day

Post by Curtana on 20/10/12, 03:49 pm

Mrs. Harrowden opened the door, her face crinkling into a smile to see Kallista there. "Ah, it's good to see you again," she said warmly. "Aleyn told me you were back safe and sound, but it's better to see it for myself."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/10/12, 03:54 pm

Kallista smiled and stepped forward, bending down somewhat to hug the much shorter woman.

"Oooooh, It's good to see you again too. I'm so sorry we kept your son away from home for so long. I hear he brought Vedran over for breakfast the other day."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 20/10/12, 04:00 pm

"He did," Mrs. Harrowden agree, hugging Kallista back before stepping aside to allow her into the entryway of the house. "And he's come back since then as well, to play some music from Ahkas for me, which was lovely of him. Such a thoughtful young man. And how are you doing since you got back?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/10/12, 04:06 pm

"Wonderful" Kallista beamed genuinely, "It's been nice having a bit of down time. We all needed it after the last few months."

She stepped into the house, allowing Mrs. Harrowden to shut the door behind her.

"And yeah, Vedran's a great guy. He and Aleyn are... really good friends." she said, catching herself at the last moment with a slight blush.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 20/10/12, 04:16 pm

Mrs. Harrowden smiled. "Yes, so they told me. It's all right - you don't have to tiptoe around with me. I'm happy for them as long as Aleyn's happy, and I haven't seen him so happy in years, so... I hope he stays that way."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/10/12, 04:26 pm

Kallista grinned. She had underestimated the woman, and she was glad that it was one less thing that needed to be kept hushed. There seemed to be way too many secrets these days for her tastes.

"In that case, I was going to say they're adorable together," she said with a laugh, "And yes, they both seem happy, and I'm happy for them."

"Anyway," she continued, trying to avoid being pulled into a lengthier conversation, of which she knew Mrs. Harrowden was more than capable, "I was wondering if Lenyard was around? I had promised him a while back that I would show him a few things, and now seemed as good a time as any if he's available."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 20/10/12, 04:32 pm

"Oh, yes, he's up in his room." Mrs. Harrowden paused, as if weighing her words carefully. "You know I'm still not happy about him wanting to be an adventurer. I know it's worked out fairly well - mostly - for Aleyn, but that doesn't mean I'm thrilled with either of them getting into danger, and that's just part of the job." She reached up to pat Kallista's shoulder. "But I also know that he's going to do this whether I like it or not. So I appreciate you doing what you can to make sure he's as ready as he can be for what he's likely to face out there."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/10/12, 04:39 pm

Kallista's smile faded slightly. She knew that it was a serious matter, and the fact that Mrs. Harrowden was trusting her with her youngest son was humbling.

"It can be dangerous, but it can be worth it, too. He's a good kid, and he has a good head on his shoulders. And he won't be alone. He has Aleyn, me, Vedran, all of you. Having a good support network is half the challenge of making it in the field, and the other half is preparation. I'll do everything I can to get him ready."

She smiled again.

"Besides, he may see the drills and training we go through at first level and decide it's not for him after all. Not everyone who applies makes it through their level one exams. But if it's what he really wants to do, no one will be able to stop him, not even you and me."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 20/10/12, 04:45 pm

Mrs. Harrowden nodded, her expression tight and resigned. She went to the foot of the stairs and bellowed at a volume only possible for parents of many children for Lenyard to come down.

Len wandered down the stairs a bit reluctantly, torn away from a good book, but when he saw Kallista standing there, he brightened immediately. "You actually came!" he blurted, before hiding his surprise behind politeness. "It's very nice to see you again, Miss Sinsinger."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/10/12, 04:51 pm

"Oh, please, just Kallista," she said with a grin, "Or K if you're feeling brave. I'm not really cut out to be a miss."

"Of course I came. I tend to be a bit scatterbrained sometimes, and we've been up to our neck in elementals the last month, but Aleyn was good enough to remind me that I'd promised to take you down to the Union sometime. Is now a good time, or are you busy? I can come back later..."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 20/10/12, 04:54 pm

"No, no, definitely, now is a great time!" He grinned from ear to ear. "I'll just get ready to go, it'll only be a minute. Should I bring anything in particular? What should I wear? What are we going to work on?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/10/12, 04:59 pm

Kallista laughed.

"Just wear something you don't mind getting dirty. I'm just gonna show you around and go over some basics with you to see where you're at already. We'll get into advanced stuff later."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 20/10/12, 07:23 pm

Len looked down at the clothes he had on - worn-out hand-me-downs from at least two brothers up the chain if not even further, and shrugged. "These are fine, I don't think it matters if they get dirty. I'll just get my boots on and we can go." He sat on the step to lace up his boots, hurrying as quickly as he could.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/10/12, 03:45 am

Kallista smirked as Lenyard busied himself with his boots.

"Don't worry," she said, turning to Mrs. Harrowden with a wink, "I'll bring him back in one piece."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/10/12, 10:03 am

Once Len had hastily gotten ready and given his mother a quick hug (which she seemed to want to last a little longer, and only reluctantly released him from) he held open the door for Kallista. "After you," he said, smiling.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/10/12, 04:41 pm

Kallista stepped lightly out onto the street, waving goodbye to Mrs. Harrowden as they left. She waited for Len to fall in step beside her and they set off for the Union.

"So, have you done much training yet? What do you know about being a rogue so far?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/10/12, 05:26 pm

"Well, I've been practicing with the bow and the shortsword when I get a chance, but there's not a lot of opportunities for that around here, really. I at least know how to use them without hurting myself in the process? Mostly I like to fiddle with traps and locks and stuff like that, and that's what I'm most interested in. The stealthy stuff, I think I'm not too bad at either, but I wouldn't really know for sure - it's kind of hard to judge myself."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/10/12, 06:02 pm

"Well, that's not bad. There's a lot of options open to you as a rogue, so there's always room for focusing on your specific talents."

Kallista steered them down a side street that she knew led to a shortcut through a narrow alley.

"How about social skills? Rogues aren't necessarily expected to be the face of the party, that's usually the bard or paladin's job, or maybe the warlord if you have one, but you should be able to lie convincingly when you have to, flirt or flatter when that fails, and always know your way around a city. Intelligence gathering is often one of your main duties."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/10/12, 07:54 pm

Len glanced over at her, shrugging. "I probably could use some practice at that. The lying. And the flirting," he added with a blush. "For the rest... I know my way around Highmark fine, but I haven't been anywhere else."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/10/12, 08:24 pm

Kallista smiled.

"Well, that's nothing that your first few adventures won't fix. One of the biggest perks of the job is getting to travel all over. You start to learn that all cities are unique, and at the same time they're all the same in some ways."

"Really, though, all of that stuff is secondary to your main job as a rogue, which is hitting things where it hurts and bringing them down quick. How familiar are you with humanoid anatomy?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/10/12, 08:27 pm

"Aim for the squishy parts?" he said, smiling.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/10/12, 08:31 pm

Kallista laughed.

"Well, sorta. I guess that's first thing on the agenda, then."

She glanced over at the young man as they walked.

"So I'm sure you've talked to Aleyn about being an adventurer and what it's like. What all has he told you?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/10/12, 09:09 pm

"Oh, lots of stuff!" Len said excitedly. "I mean, the exciting parts, of course, but he's told me about the bad parts too. About how a lot of the time it's uncomfortable and hard work and scary interspersed with boring. I think he wants me to have a realistic view of what it's like - at least, that's what he keeps saying, that it's not like in the books."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/10/12, 09:38 pm

"Well, he's not wrong. They make it out to be a lot more glamorous than it really is most of the time. It's good that he's giving you an honest picture. And you've seen first hand that sometimes the job can cost you a lot more than some others. I've met ex-adventurers missing legs, arms, eyes..."

She turned to him and shrugged.

"I mean, I'm not trying to scare you... well, maybe I am a bit."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/11/17, 01:52 am