Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Drowning Sorrows

Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Drowning Sorrows

Post by Josh on 04/09/12, 04:32 pm

Two failed Sendings to the Feywild and the Shadowfell had left Thruik discouraged and worried. He'd been studiously avoiding the concept that all the failed rituals pointed a simple, horrible answer. He wasn't giving up on the Thunderbolts, and, luckily, it seemed no one else was easier.

In the interest of pursuing all possible leads, here they were on the Highwind on its way to Mythragal. A request to the church had been funneled through Ioun knows how many channels, eventually finding a sufficiently skilled caster willing to help.

Everyone seemed to be brooding, or at least lost in their own thoughts, as they set out. Not too far out of port, though, Brenn gathered Vedran, Thruik, and Agyness into his cabin. As soon as they gathered, despite it being relatively early in the day, he threw open his liquor cabinet with a declaration.

"I gotta be honest, right now I don't particularly feel like facing things sober, and I don't particularly want to face all this drinking alone."
    elanya
    God
    God

Re: Drowning Sorrows

Post by elanya on 04/09/12, 04:44 pm

Vedran had been trying to balance his responsibilities back home since getting the news, but the missing Thunderbolts. But between Macen, work at and for the union, hurrying as much as he could through the lingering divorce paperwork, and social obligations he'd committed to previously, he hadn't had a chance to do much of any kind of stress relief. A good drunk with commiserating friends seemed just about the perfect thing.

"Great," he answered, flopping into one of the cabin chairs. "I'm in. Pass me a bottle of your shittiest wine."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 04/09/12, 05:07 pm

Agyness sighed, likewise collapsing into a chair.

"I don't even care what you hand me at this point."

Thruik merely nodded and pointed, taking a seat himself.

Brenn doled out the alcohol, taking a particular dwarven rum for himself. He didn't seem particularly inclined to use a glass or mug, removing the stopper of his bottle and raising it towards his friends.

"To lost loves and absent friends, may they return safe and soon..."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 04/09/12, 05:47 pm

Vedran joined him in his enthusiastic toast, taking a long swig from the bottle, and shook his head. "Fuck. Thanks, man. I really need this." With that he shrugged and took another drink, waiting for it to hit his system and, hopefully ease some of the tension.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 04/09/12, 05:53 pm

"Pretty sure we all do, Ved," Brenn responded, taking a hearty swig of rum. "We've all got someone out there, though I guess less so for Agy."

The fighter made a derisive noise and took a drink.

"Sure, I just lost my unit in the middle of what's looking like a major insurgency, a unit of people I've worked with for months and care about, but yeah, I've had less of a loss because I'm not banging any of them. Jerk."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 04/09/12, 09:41 pm

Vedran risked a glance Thru's way, as he sort of doubted things had gone that far with Del, and of course, things were just sort of a mess (if an encouraging one) with Aleyn, and of course that was only the edge of the thing. He looked back over at Agyness, tapping his fingers on the bottle. "I can't decide if having at least been in the right city would make it better or worse. I already felt bad that I couldn't go with you..."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 04/09/12, 10:12 pm

Thru blushed, studiously avoiding Agyness's comment.

"We're all missing people, let's leave it at that. At least they know how to take care of themselves."

Agyness spoke up to address Vedran's thought.

"Well, Ved, you being there would just mean one of us would likely be stranded with them wherever they are. I can't believe I told Kallista I'd watch the 'kids' so she could take the night with everybody else."

Agyness slumped further into her chair, nursing the bottle Brenn had handed her.

elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 04/09/12, 10:19 pm

"Ugh. At least you were doing something *useful*. I'm just....failing at life." He eyed the bottle critically after another swig.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 04/09/12, 10:32 pm

Brenn gave Vedran a long look.

"I don't know if you need to drink more, or less. I tend to err on the side of 'more.' Drink up."

Brenn pointed at his bottle, took a long swig, and gave Vedran a wide-eyed, expectant look. He then turned a similar look towards Thruik.

"As for you, I'm in no mood for dissembling. You, Del: putting the dragon in his lair, docking the airship, other crude euphemisms for sex?"

Thruik choked slightly on his drink while Agyness punched Brenn in the arm.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 04/09/12, 10:41 pm

Vedran upended the bottle while everyone else was looking at Thru, trying not to think about the mess of his life, the sex he wasn't really having, and whether or not Yarr was going to take pity on them in the morning.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 04/09/12, 10:58 pm

After recovering, Thruik gave Brenn an arch look.

"Clearly 'gentleman' and 'noble' aren't synonymous. Del and I are...getting along very well, thank you. Lech. Like you need details from our lives. We're all well acquainted with your exploits."

Agyness gave a wry grin and a sidelong glance at Brenn.

"And Kallista's. Fan of tail play, are we now?"

Brenn raised his hands, defeated.

"All right, all right, I'll lay off for now, but I apologize for nothing."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 04/09/12, 11:03 pm

Vedran could feel a familiar light-headedness starting to settle in, and considering the lightness of the bottle and the relatively short timeframe, it was probably no wonder. He took another, shorter pull and eyes Brenn again, wondering if he'd done that on purpose, to take sex as a topic off the table as a topic of conversation, and wondering if it would matter as they all got more drunk.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 05/09/12, 03:05 pm

"Well, if you won't let me talk about the fun stuff," Brenn continued, leaving off the implied 'for now,'"I'm retreating back to maudlin. Correct me if my arcane knowledge isn't up to snuff, but even once we get in touch with them, there's likely nothing we can do, correct?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 05/09/12, 03:32 pm

"Well, if nothing else, we can adjust our prayers accordingly." He shook his head, realizing that might sound even more despairing than he'd meant. "I mean, I just want to know if they're all safe. We can figure out what comes next after that."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 05/09/12, 10:57 pm

Silence passed between them for a moment before Brenn spoke up.

"Ugh, this almost feels like we've already lost them. I keep thinking about things I could have said, things I probably should have said...I'm not usually one for regrets, but this is definitely making me think."

Thruik and Agyness shared a look before focusing on Brenn, worried. After a pause, Agyness took a long, conspicuous drink before responding.

"Gods, maybe we should just let him talk about sex."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 05/09/12, 11:02 pm

"Or," Vedran countered, taking another drink, "maybe I just shouldn't be allowed to say anything. But whatever, then - what's one thing you wish you'd said?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 05/09/12, 11:32 pm

Brenn raised an eyebrow at Vedran, likewise taking a drink.

"Yeah, that's not gonna happen, buddy."

He paused a moment, thinking.

"Well, I can get an easy one out of the way first. I wish I'd told Kallista I love her."

He took another drink before nodding to Vedran.

"Your turn."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 05/09/12, 11:38 pm

Well, it wasn't like he hadn't seen it coming as soon as he'd said it, but he still made a face, contemplating the wine bottle for a moment. "Ugh, I don't know. There's all kinds of things I need to say and explain and... I just wish I could be less *crazy* about everything."

He looked to Thru, in the hopes that the orc might pick up the theme.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/09/12, 05:42 pm

Thru looked pensive, gazing at his bottle.

"I wish...I wish we'd had more time. I hope we get more, when they get back."

He raised the bottle to his lips, his eyes still distant.

"I wish...more I hope they know how many people they have waiting for them back home. K, Del," Agyness added, casting an eye towards Vedran, but omitting Aleyn's name,"they have people offhand. I just hope Roscoe and Warryn and the rest know they're missed too."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 07/09/12, 06:52 pm

Vedran winced a little, telling himself that it wasn't that he was *more* worried about Aleyn, it was just that the situation between them was more complicated, and there wasn't anything to feel bad about if the sorcerer weighed heavily in his thoughts. He hadn't failed to mention that Agyness and Brenn both were continuing to avoid saying his name. Did they think he was that fragile? Was he? But anyway. "I hope they do. I mean - Roscoe has a whole pack of kids, at least, who are looking forward to their next storytime. I notified everyone else's emergency contacts in person where I could, but we haven't heard anything back yet form Tzesira's people. I know Monti was able to get a hold of someone at the church of Corellon too." He shrugged, taking another drink. He was starting to feel it now. "They must know we're all thinking about them."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/09/12, 07:15 pm

"I've been in this boat before, though," Agyness responded. "Not in another plane, but we got cut off from the outside for three months during the 'siege' at Durmhold. No word from anywhere, seeing the same people day after day, in a shitty situation...it weighs on you. At least they've got Aleyn. I figure surviving the wilds for a bit on his own is going to make being stranded with his party look positively luxurious."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 07/09/12, 07:21 pm

"At least he's got *them*, too," he added. "I know he was pretty messed up after that. And we're not going to give up on him, or any of them, either."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/09/12, 07:35 pm

"No one said they were," Brenn interjected, leaning forward. "Lady Luck seems to be fond of them, I'm sure she'll see them through. No offense to Ioun, Thru."

Thruik smirked.

"None taken. Right now I'll settle for making sure they're okay, which is our purview. Then I'll worry what it means when they get back."

Sighing, Thruik took another drink before continuing.

"It hasn't been that long, but...Delona's something special, you know? If Brenn, of all people, is saying he's in love, maybe I should entertain the thought of something lasting, it just feels so soon..."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 07/09/12, 07:42 pm

"Well, I already gave her the finger-breaking speech, and she seemed to take it pretty well, so you're probably on pretty solid ground." he sighed though, unable to maintain the levity. "My mother would probably say something about Sehanine liking to keep us on our toes..." Unsure exactly where that thought was leading, he just shook his head instead.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/09/12, 09:30 pm

"If that's the case, Ved, she must be really fond of you," Brenn commented. "Sehanine, not your mom. Though I'm sure she's fond of you too," he added with a wink.

All of a sudden, Brenn sat up, his eyes wide.

"Oh, shit, Aleyn...Vedran, I totally forgot in all of...this. I have something for you."

The half-elf rose amid strange looks from his companions, crossing to one of several chests in his cabin. He quickly retrieved a large box from within, expertly wrapped if somewhat disheveled for being in the trunk.

"We, ah, we went shopping while we were in Thantopolis. He thought you'd like this."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 24/07/17, 05:52 pm