Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

I regret to inform you...

elanya
    God
    God

I regret to inform you...

Post by elanya on 29/08/12, 09:56 pm

Vedran had assured Monti that he was okay taking care of this aspect of things, and he hoped it was true. Now that he found himself in front of a modest family home in Midway, about to deliver news that would be upsetting in the best of circumstances to people who had already gone through it all before, he suddenly worried about his ability to keep it together himself. But he would, because Aleyn deserved it, and so did his family. Composing himself for the task at hand, he knocked.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Re: I regret to inform you...

Post by Curtana on 29/08/12, 10:00 pm

"Yes, coming!" called a woman's voice. "Alynna, give it back to her." That last was probably not directed at Vedran, he suspected...

A short, plump woman with curly grey hair pulled back from her face opened the door, and gave Vedran a searching look. "Yes, what is it?" From behind her the sounds of a pair of children playing (or more likely squabbling) could be heard.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 29/08/12, 10:15 pm

Vedran smiled, though he was sure his concern showed through. The name at least told him he was probably in the right place, though Aleyn apparently looked nothing like his mother. "Mrs. Harrowden?" He continued once she nodded. "I'm Vedran Callais, from the Explorer's Union... May I come in?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 29/08/12, 10:22 pm

Mrs. Harrowden waved him into the family sitting room, which was currently populated by two little girls holding either a tea party or a bazaar. "Alynna, take your sister and go play in your room," she told the elder of the children, who readily seized the littler girl's hand and dragged her away.

Indicating that Vedran ought to have a seat, Mrs. Harrowden sat down in the well-worn armchair across from him. "Something's happened, hasn't it," she said once the girls were out of earshot. "I recognize the look."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 29/08/12, 10:39 pm

"I'm afraid so, and I am sorry. The Thunderbolts were in Thantopolis, following up on some information from their last mission. They got caught up in some kind of ritual magic, and we think they were transported to another plane." He paused to let her process. "We've tried to contact them, but so far we haven't had any success."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 29/08/12, 10:48 pm

Her brow furrowed anxiously. "So what you're saying is, no one knows where my son might be, or if there is any way to get him back. Or if he's even alive." She spoke quietly, plainly trying to keep herself under control, but her voice trembled slightly on the last few words.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 29/08/12, 11:10 pm

He'd been trying to deal with those same issues himself, but he refused to give up hope. He reaches out to offer her his hand. "We're trying everything we can."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 29/08/12, 11:19 pm

She stared at his hand for a moment, as if puzzled, but took it, patting it in a motherly way to comfort him. "I'm sure you are. They said that last time too, for all the good it did. He made it back on his own that time. Aleyn may not seem it at first, but he's a tough one. Stubborn, too."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 30/08/12, 12:46 am

Vedran had tried very hard before coming here to sort out his feelings about Aleyn, to face them, and to muster some kind of control over them. He'd known this was going to be hard, but he always managed better when he was being the strong one, offering support and comfort. When he found himself suddenly receiving reassurance, it became a lot harder to keep up the facade. "I... I know," he stammered, then tried for an encouraging smile. "And he's not alone, this time. They're a good team, They'll take care of each other." He didn't add that he'd give almost anything to be with them instead of left behind to worry helplessly, but he felt it keenly.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 30/08/12, 07:15 am

Mrs. Harrowden gave him a sharp glance. "'They'? You're one of them, aren't you? I don't follow all of these adventurers like the young folks do, but I can at least remember who's in my son's group."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 30/08/12, 08:23 am

His face fell for a moment, before he managed to pull it back together, fighting to keep his voice relatively even. "Yes ma'am." He gave her a fragile, contrite smile. "We're a good team, but I had personal business that kept me in Highmark." Not wanting to keep the focus on himself, he continued. "Agyness Cziernos was left behind in Thantopolis as well - She's helped us find out as much as we do know."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 30/08/12, 08:52 am

"Oh, you poor thing," she said, squeezing his hand between her own. "At least your parents aren't worrying right now. I don't want to belittle what my son - and the rest of them - go through out there, but sometimes I think it's harder to be left behind, not knowing what's happening, not being able to help. It's always like that with children, but Aleyn makes it more difficult than most." She gave a tight smile, as if she too was trying to compose herself. "I was so relieved when he retired the last time. When he told me he was going back to it, I was angry at first, but ... I can see how much happier he has been lately."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 30/08/12, 11:22 am

Aleyn's mother didn't mean it that way, surely, but she'd manage to open a torrent of guilt that he'd managed not to consider yet. Not only shoud he be there with them, and feel helpless despite their ongoing (all useless so far) efforts, but really, Aleyn was only there - only with the team at all - because of him. he knew he should answer, but didn't trust himself to speak. Instead he covered his face with his hand and closed his eyes, as though that would help him keep it all in.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 30/08/12, 11:35 am

"Oh, dear," Mrs. Harrowden sighed, moving to sit beside Vedran and putting her arm around his shoulders. "It's not as if it's your fault," she said, trying to comfort him, which seemed backwards, under the circumstances. "You can't blame yourself."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 30/08/12, 11:46 am

Everything just felt heavy, but this wasn't the time or place to let it overwhelm him. "I... I'm sorry," he managed eventually. "We'll get him back."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 30/08/12, 12:00 pm

"I hope so," she told him. "I'm sure you are trying your best." She paused for a moment. "Is this something I should tell his brothers and sisters? They will wonder, of course... And... I heard from my youngest daughter that he was seeing someone, but I don't know who. He should be contacted too, if anyone knows his name."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 30/08/12, 02:34 pm

"....Don't worry about that." After another tight and hopefully not too telling smile he continued. "I'll leave it to you what you want to tell the rest of your family, but I know the Union is hoping to keep it out of the broadsheets for now."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 30/08/12, 03:01 pm

"If I tell the other kids, you might as well put it in the broadsheets anyway," she said with a hint of a smile. "Bretyn works for one, and Tavya might as well be the town crier, for all the gossiping she does. I mean, I didn't hear about this new gentleman friend from Aleyn, after all... and probably neither did she, come to think of it. Oh, maybe that nice tiefling girl - is she missing too?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 30/08/12, 03:39 pm

He nodded, and the thought occurred that maybe after this he should get a hold of Brenn, and maybe Thru, and a lot of alcohol. "Kallista - yes ma'am, she's with them too."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 30/08/12, 03:52 pm

Mrs. Harrowden shook her head sadly. "Poor thing - I can't imagine her parents are too upset, from anything she said about them, if they've even heard she's missing, so I'll do the worrying for her too, I suppose. She seemed like a sweet girl. I'm glad she's with him - I could tell she and Aleyn are good friends, and like you said, they will take care of each other... It must make you very close, depending on one another like that. You care a lot about them too, don't you."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 30/08/12, 04:06 pm

"I do, yes." he smiled a little, this time a little less brittle. "I think Kallista would appreciate your concern, but she'd feel bad for worrying you, too."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 30/08/12, 05:49 pm

"Hah, well, she's not likely to stop doing that until she decides to settle down with some nice fellow, maybe have a few babies, and leave off running about to other planes and risking her life at the drop of a hat. But then, I say the same to Aleyn, and it hasn't sunk in yet. I understand the work can be important sometimes, but sometimes it seems so...pointless, and dangerous, and for what?" She shrugged, then patted Vedran's back gently. "Well, I don't mean to go on at you. It's not your fault, after all, and you seem like a nice young man."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 30/08/12, 09:07 pm

"Thank you," he said, though his heart was sinking even further. What she wanted for her son wasn't anything Vedran could give him, even if (when) they did get him back. "I try. It isn't such a bad life though, though perhaps we've just been lucky not to get stuck with any pointless missions."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 30/08/12, 09:50 pm

"Well, perhaps I just don't hear about the useful ones as often," she said. "My youngest son wants to go and join up too, even after... everything." She looked downcast for a moment before she glanced up at Vedran again. "It is important, though, isn't it? What they're doing?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 30/08/12, 09:54 pm

This one, at least, was easy. "Yes. I promise you, it is."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 24/07/17, 05:53 pm