Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

It's a big blue watery road

Curtana
    God
    God

It's a big blue watery road

Post by Curtana on 20/08/12, 12:16 pm

Aleyn looked over the edge of the barge, then quickly moved back. It had been unsettling enough when the river's banks dropped away, leaving the water flowing through air, but being able to look down and see... something... moving in the depths and having to wonder what was underneath them was more than he was ready to deal with right now. At least it seemed to be staying water, for the time being, and not changing into acid or lava or maple syrup... although if it did turn into something delicious, that might be useful. One meal of mushroom stew, as tasty as it had been, wouldn't hold them for long.

He ducked back under the boat's awning, out of the steady rain, and sat down, stretching out as much as was possible in the crowded conditions. The worst of the storm seemed over, at least for now, but it continued to drizzle. So far there were no signs of pursuit, but it was probably only a matter of time. Delona was managing to keep them pointed in the right direction (away from there) and they hadn't capsized yet, so he counted their escape as a tentative success. He was worried about Kallista, though - the tiefling was having a rough time of it. "How are you doing?" he asked her gently.

tuck
    God
    God

Re: It's a big blue watery road

Post by tuck on 20/08/12, 12:47 pm

Kallista looked up from where she sat slumped on the deck of the barge, her head propped against the wooden side.

"Like shit," she replied. There was a purplish hue to her normally bright pink skin, and she looked as though she was about to either pass out, vomit, or maybe both.

"Why did it have to be a fucking boat?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 20/08/12, 02:34 pm

"Because it was either that or swim for it," Aleyn said, sliding over to sit next to Kallista. "Anything I can do to help?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 20/08/12, 02:46 pm

"Throw me overboard?" Kallista said with a pained expression, "No, I'll be fine in a while. I really should be used to this by now. I can't ever seem to adjust to life on the water."

She sighed and leaned her head back again.

"But fuck, man... that's not even the worst part you know? Seasickness I can deal with. Finding out my father even has agents in other dimensions out to kill me... that I just can't wrap my head around."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/08/12, 09:35 am

Not just you, Aleyn thought, but realized that probably wouldn't be any comfort. "I'm sorry," he said instead. "I can't even imagine how hard that must be." He offered her an arm if she felt up to moving closer.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/08/12, 10:58 am

Kallista smiled feebly and scooted a bit closer to the human with his support, leaning her head against his leg.

"Thanks..." she said, "How're you doing?"

Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/08/12, 11:10 am

Aleyn sighed, resting his hand on Kallista's head, fingers curling lightly over one of her horns. "You wanna know how messed up I am? Hell, maybe how messed up adventurers in general are?" He glanced around at the rest of their group. "I feel a bit better now than I did yesterday. I guess the distraction of nearly getting captured helps take my mind off other things."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/08/12, 11:16 am

Kallista looked up at Aleyn, concern in her eyes.

"You miss him a lot, huh?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/08/12, 11:21 am

"Yeah," Aleyn admitted. "It's not the being apart that's so bad... it's the not knowing how or when we'll ever get back, and the imagining how worried he'll be. I mean... you must feel the same about Brenn, right?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/08/12, 11:34 am

"Yeah..." she said, "I keep thinking that if that riot hadn't happened I'd probably be in his cabin right now on our way back to Highmark drinking Orsino wine and fucking like rabbits instead of stuck on this barge."

She sighed

"It's always hard being away from someone you love."

For a moment she stared off idly into space before her eyes got suddenly wide as she realized what she had said.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/08/12, 11:45 am

Aleyn couldn't help grinning at Kallista's shocked reaction. "Oh honey, that just hit you like a ton of bricks, didn't it." He patted her head affectionately. "It'll be okay... I'm willing to bet he feels the same about you."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/08/12, 12:05 pm

Kallista groaned.

"Maybe..." she said, somewhat uncertainly, "I'm not sure. I know he likes me a lot, but.... I guess it's just weird for me to think about it. I'm not even sure I know what the word means, really."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/08/12, 12:40 pm

"Yeah, it would be handy to have some alternate words for things like 'I love strawberries' and 'I love this book,'" Aleyn agreed. "It's one of those words that gets thrown around so much it sort of goes all fuzzy at the edges. And probably it feels different for different people, too, so nobody really agrees on what it means, except that it's supposed to be good. I guess to me it's like... affection and desire and protectiveness and comfort and need and a little bit of crazy, all mixed together and amplified and building on itself." He paused, shrugging. "Possibly that doesn't make any sense, but... that's love for you."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/08/12, 12:42 pm

Kallista nodded silently for a moment, thinking.

"Do you love Vedran?" she asked.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/08/12, 12:50 pm

Aleyn closed his eyes for a moment, considering the question. "One of the best and worst things about love," he said at last, looking down at Kallista, "is that it doesn't wait for life to be sensible or practical or safe. So... yeah."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/08/12, 01:54 pm

"Good," Kallista said with a smile. She knew it wasn't going to be easy for Vedran and Aleyn, but at least they had a chance. That was more than some people got.

Of course, that was assuming they ever saw each other again. She sighed as her smile turned to a frown once more.

"It's funny..." she said, "With all my love of travelling, of seeing new places, meeting new people... this is the first time I've ever found myself missing Highmark, missing Brenn, missing the Union. Like suddenly the idea that I might never see them again terrifies me. I think maybe I've been so busy running away from home that I never noticed I'd found a new one."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/08/12, 02:03 pm

"We'll figure out a way back there somehow," Aleyn said stubbornly. "So... are you going to tell Brenn all of that when we do find our way home?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/08/12, 02:09 pm

"I... don't know," Kallista said, pausing for a long moment, "Are you supposed to? I've never really... I've never told anyone that before. It's not exactly something I have much experience with."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/08/12, 02:30 pm

"Hm... It's one of the most terrifying things you'll ever do, and I say that as someone who's thought he was seriously about to die, like, upwards of a dozen times. So it's up to you if you're ready to take that risk - that he'll run away, or say he's really sorry but he doesn't feel the same, or, possibly even more scary, that he'll say he loves you too and wants to be with you forever."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/08/12, 02:33 pm

Kallista closed her eyes and leaned back against the railing once more.

"I feel sick again." she mumbled.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 21/08/12, 02:48 pm

Tzesira, stretched out on the deck nearby, had been half listening to the conversation, really for lack of anything better to do, but at this point, she had to actually roll her eyes. "Oh, for fuck, it isn't that scary." She turned her head to face the pair, black eyes focusing on Kallista. "I love ya, bitch."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/08/12, 02:57 pm

Kallista laughed, but the act made her stomach roll and twitch with each shake, so she quickly cut it off before she could be sick. Instead she stuck her tongue out at the mouthy shadar-kai.

"Damn right you do," she said with a grin.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 21/08/12, 03:07 pm

"Yeah, I love you too, Kallista. It's somewhat less scary saying it when you have a good idea how they're going to take it," Aleyn said with a smile, reaching out to pat the tiefling on the shoulder.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 21/08/12, 03:11 pm

"You think that," Tzesira said, reaching over to give Kallista's hand a squeeze as well, "But I'm still expecting her to fuckin' cry annnny minute."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 21/08/12, 03:18 pm

Kallista sniffled, but tried desperately to stop the predicted tears from forming in her eyes.

"Shut up..." she said weakly, "I'm just seasick."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 26/09/17, 01:03 pm