Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Shopping! 2: City of the Dead

Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Shopping! 2: City of the Dead

Post by Josh on 06/08/12, 04:59 pm

Brenn reclined in the cushioned seat of the carriage, gazing out over the city as his path took him up the west side bluff. The streets were oddly quiet, though it was already mid-morning. His driver sat hunched over the reins; he hadn't spoken the entire trip. Brenn idly wondered if the man were alive or dead. The rattling of the horses' bones and the clatter of their hooves were the loudest noises Brenn heard as he enjoyed the ride.

Presently, they came to a halt in front of an imposing gate, gargoyles perched on pillars to either side.

"Guards or decoration?" Brenn contemplated as he climbed down, turning to pay his silent driver. He tried the gates, which held fast. Shrugging, he attempted the gargoyles.

"Brenn Aelindar to see Mr. Harrowden, if you please," he called, feeling somewhat foolish.

Nonetheless, the great gate shuddered, opening inward. As Brenn stepped inside, a misty form appeared, coalescing into the slightly indistinct shape of a human woman in ancient livery.

"Master Aelindar, please follow me to the main house." To his surprise, her voice lacked the haziness of her form; clear, with an accent he couldn't quite place.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Re: Shopping! 2: City of the Dead

Post by Curtana on 06/08/12, 05:19 pm

Aleyn was idly perusing Agyness's ancestral portrait gallery, a hall full of paintings, sculptures, and other artistic renderings of long-dead relatives (although perhaps not long-gone, he wasn't sure...) He was just considering a particular aristocratic specimen who was distinctly long in the tooth but short in the chin when the misty form of a servant materialized beside him, stepping out from between two tapestries. He still hadn't quite gotten used to that yet, but managed to keep from jumping and screaming at least.

"Master Aelindar to see you, sir," the figure murmured politely.

"Oh, thanks. I'll be right down," he replied, trying to act as though this was an everyday occurrence. He made his way downstairs to find Brenn waiting in the entry hall. "Hi," Aleyn greeted him cheerfully. "Business calmed down enough for us to do a bit of shopping?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 06/08/12, 05:25 pm

"Right now its all loading and counting, which I can delegate. I'll clock in for a business dinner or two tonight. In the mean time, I believe I offered to help you procure a gift for Vedran."

The half-elf turned to address his spectral guide.

"If you would be so kind, please let Ms. Sinsinger and the rest know I'm here."

Turning back, Brenn made a show of taking in his surroundings.

"So, how's life with the Thantopolitan aristocracy treating you?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 06/08/12, 05:33 pm

Aleyn glanced around to see if they were likely to be overheard, then realized it was pointless in a house where the servants might be nearby but invisible. "It takes some getting used to," he admitted. "I'm not sure I would ever want to live here, but it's pretty interesting to visit."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 06/08/12, 06:50 pm

Moments later, the pair heard the sound of running footsteps from the upstairs hallway, a distinct contrast to the deathly silent approach of the servants. Kallista came jogging down the stairs, nearly tripping over the bottom landing before catching herself on the bannister. Her smile brightened when she saw Brenn standing near the doorway.

"Brenn!" she shouted, throwing her arms around him and planting a quick kiss on his mouth, "I'm so glad you could make it!"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 06/08/12, 09:45 pm

Brenn grinned brightly when he saw the tiefling descending the staircase. His laugh at her near-fall was cut off as she kissed him. When she pulled back, the large smile remained.

"Careful now. You've defeated dragons. It'd be a shame for you to be bested by pack of stairs, however vicious."

Brenn turned his face to regard Aleyn while wrapping his arms around Kallista.

"I hear you. I've been quite a bit now on business and I'm still not entirely used to this city."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 06/08/12, 10:25 pm

"Do you have some thoughts of where we might look?" Aleyn asked. "I hope you do, because I have no clue where to start." Somehow the idea of finding something for Vedran was far more intimidating than the prospect of buying clothes for himself. At least he could try things on when it was for him...
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 06/08/12, 11:59 pm

"There's some great shops the Tzesira and I visited last time we were here." Kallista said brightly, arms still wrapped around Brenn's waist, "Like the one where I got that red and black dress with all the slits!"

She looked at Brenn and winked unsubtley.

"You remember the one."

She turned her eyes to Aleyn.

"Although I guess that doesn't really help you much, huh? Unless you were wanting an evening gown for your off time."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 07/08/12, 07:17 am

Aleyn laughed. "I don't have the legs for it, sorry. Probably someplace that sells men's clothing would be better. And since it's for Vedran, probably somewhere expensive," he added with a wry smile.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/08/12, 08:58 pm

"Kallista has the right idea, at least geographically. There're some good shops near where you got that dress that make clothes a little closer to Highmark fashion. I doubt Vedran wants to run around in a sheet, though they are pretty comfortable."

Brenn gestured towards the door.

"I have a carriage waiting. Shall we, or are we expecting more?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 07/08/12, 10:33 pm

Once they had gathered, the silent carriage driver took them to what seemed to be Thantopolis's fashion district. Aleyn peered apprehensively at some of the shops, which seemed even to his untrained eye to cater to rather different (and occasionally more alarming) tastes than Highmark's current styles, but fortunately Brenn seemed to know where he was going. He led them in the direction of a small boutique, really just a hole in the wall sort of place, with a discreet little plaque that simply read 'Zosime - Fine Clothing'.

A small bell chimed once as they opened the door and stepped inside. The shop appeared deserted, apart from the motionless dummies. Bolts of fabric were neatly stacked on tall shelves. Aleyn cleared his throat, glancing about for any sign of a shopkeeper. He half-jumped when what he had taken for one of the tailor's dummies near the back of the shop suddenly moved, proving to be a porcelain-skinned woman. "How may I assist you?" she inquired, her voice barely raised above a whisper.

"Oh! We're... I'm... looking for something," Aleyn stammered. "Something nice. A gift. For, uh, a friend." He shot a glance at Brenn, hoping he might be able to step in with some more concrete suggestions.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 07/08/12, 10:42 pm

"A boy friend." Kallista chimed in, helpfully, "Well... a friend who is a boy. Also possibly a boyfriend. Maybe. Do you have anything that says 'I like you, but I know it's complicated'?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/08/12, 11:03 pm

Brenn, in his element, spoke up.

"Let's start with some frockcoats in whatever greens you have, preferably in a moss or sage. Pants in complementary browns, I think, though my friend here would welcome suggestions. Ivory for the waistcoat, though lets see some choices. We'll leave the fripperies for a bit, shall we?"

The woman sprang into motion, her movements graceful and precise as she gathered the requested items. Brenn leaned on the counter, taking in the small boutique.

"This should be a good start."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 07/08/12, 11:21 pm

Aleyn was relieved to let Brenn handle the technical details of style and color, though slightly overwhelmed by the number of items that were being laid out before them. "How will we know they'll fit right?" he asked Brenn under his breath, eyeing the ever-increasing selection of coats, trousers, and waistcoats.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/08/12, 05:06 am

"Don't worry, I'm a pretty good judge of these things. You just figure out what you'd like to see him in, other than nothing, and we'll get it sorted out."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 08/08/12, 08:25 am

Kallista giggled and put an arm around Brenn's waist.

"Trust him on this," she said to Aleyn, "My man has an awesome sense of fashion. You should see his closet. If I didn't know better, I'd say he was part Raggamoffyn."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/08/12, 08:40 am

Brenn recoiled in mock horror.

"I thought you said I had fashion sense; those things really live up to their name. Though Alia did wear one to a party once. I was never sure if it was a favor or a date..."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 08/08/12, 08:53 am

Aleyn nodded absently, but was still distracted by the thought of Vedran wearing something he'd picked out... or nothing, thank you very much Brenn for putting that thought in his head. He reached out a hand to touch some of the fine garments, then realized he wasn't sure if he was allowed to do that or not. A nod from Brenn confirmed that it was all right, so he ran a few of the various items under his fingers, feeling the silks and wools and other fabrics he wasn't even sure what they were called. It was probably wrong to pick clothing based on how it felt instead of how it looked, but frankly he trusted his senses in that department more - he could tell what felt good.

"I like this one," he said eventually, indicating a cream-colored silk waistcoat that was embroidered with thread that nearly matched the fabric, so that the pattern was felt more than seen.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/08/12, 09:03 am

Brenn nodded to the clerk, gesturing at Aleyn and his choice.

"Can we see this on a dummy? Six foot, slim..."

Brenn railed off measurements with surprising alacrity, providing an eerily accurate description of Vedran. A few moments later, the clerk produced an animate dummy of the appropriate size sporting the selected waistcoat. Brenn raised his eyebrow at Aleyn, inquiringly.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 08/08/12, 09:11 am

"Ooooooh..." Kallista said, letting go of Brenn to wander curiously over to the mannequin, "Now that's cool."

She poked it experimentally in the arm.

"I want one of these... I have no idea what I'd do with it, but I want one."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/08/12, 09:19 am

"And here I thought slavery had been outlawed in the eight cities," came the reply from the dummy, a jaw obviously working behind its featureless fabric face.

"No talking," admonished the soft-spoken clerk, looking apologetically at her customers.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 08/08/12, 09:26 am

Kallista stepped backwards with a gasp, putting her hand over her mouth. Her eyes were wide with shock and embarassment.

"Omigods! I didn't... I mean... I thought you were... hoooooooly sh... I am sooooo so sorry!"

Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 08/08/12, 10:59 am

Aleyn also took a startled step back, but tried to cover his surprise and gave the model an appraising look, attempting to envision what the waistcoat would look like on Vedran instead. He thought it ought to be good, but it was hard to picture it on its own. He looked to Brenn for a second opinion nevertheless. "Maybe if we see it with a jacket too?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 09/08/12, 05:13 am

Brenn considered the garment for a moment. It was somewhat understated, but that suited Aleyn, making it a good gift for him to get Vedran. Nonetheless, the sorcerer was right; it needed an ensemble.

"Yeah, that's a good idea. Let's see a couple of choices."

As the clerk busied herself retrieving a few of the selected jackets, Brenn turned to his companions.

"Should we pick anything else up while we're here? My summer wardrobe needs some work, and they've got some lovely dresses near the front, though they're a bit more...conservative than your usual attire, Kallista."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 09/08/12, 10:08 am

"What? Huh?" Kallista said, tearing her attention away from the (un)living mannequin when she heard her name. She was obviously still mortified at her mistake.

"Oh, um... yeah. That's a good idea."

She grinned sheepishly at the mannequin.

"Sorry again, sir... or ma'am."

She quickly scurried off to the front of the store to poke at various styles of dresses, occasionally poking her head up to steal quick glances at the fabric covered undead.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/07/17, 05:49 am