Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

It's my duty, as a friend....

elanya
    God
    God

It's my duty, as a friend....

Post by elanya on 11/07/12, 09:18 pm

It was the second night of hard riding on the way back to Yondon. Camp was set up, and people were milling about tiredly before turning in. Vedran had flopped down by the campfire to see if Roscoe and Delona had dinner ready yet. Having learned that they needed some more water, he offered to accompany the half-orc down to the little stream to collect what they needed and stock up for the next day's travel.

Once they were a little ways away from the camp, he smiled over at her broadly. "So, hey, I've been meaning to ask, but how are things going with Thru?"
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Re: It's my duty, as a friend....

Post by Kitrazzle on 13/07/12, 12:51 am

Gray skin did absolutely nothing to hide a blush. This was especially true of a young lady being questioned about her gentleman friend by said gentleman's friend, particularly when the friend also happened to be the lady's coworker. Oh dear, life could be so complicated when social circles intersected.

Delona's reddened face split with a somewhat goofy grin, as it tended to when struck by thoughts of Thruik. "Well, I think. Slow, but well." She knelt down at the bank and scooped up some water in her hand, sampling to confirm again that the stream was safe before dipping a canteen in. "We've been to a few plays, a poetry reading, stuff like that. It's fun. Kinda awkward when the students stare at us, but fun."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 13/07/12, 10:12 am

"That does sound good, other than the staring... And slow is good, with Thru." He grinned widely - even watching one of them think about the other was adorable. "Of course, you know, it's my duty as his friend to let you know that if you break his heart, we'll break you fingers. Though - have you met any of his family yet?" He knelt beside her and unstoppered one of the waterskins he's brought down, following her example and submerging its spout facing away from the current flow to prevent any of the floating leaves and sticks from washing in.
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 14/07/12, 04:34 am

Delona was a little surprised that it had taken this long to get around to the obligatory threat, but she was more surprised at how readily she took Vedran at his word. She would certainly deserve retribution if she hurt such a sweet man, and fingers would be an excellent choice for some eye-for-eye payback. Easily broken but potentially troublesome to set properly, and they would never be quite the same after healing. That little change could make all the difference for someone who depended on her digits as much as she did. Poetic justice, really. Del looked down at her fingers thoughtfully as she considered how disturbed she must be to accept the stated punishment so easily. Good thing it probably wouldn't come to that; she and Thru seemed to have very similar vulnerabilities.

She looked across her shoulder at Ved with a shrug and a smile. "Yeah alright, fingers would be fair. I was introduced to his mother and a couple other relatives at the gala after the match, but I haven't met any since then. Gotta admit, I'm not really looking forward to that. I was nervous enough when she was just the mother of the boy I had a crush on. The next time we meet, I'll be the girl who could potentially take her precious boy away from her and that's a whole other story." She shivered a little, looking honestly scared at the prospect of a disapproving matriarch, then remembered to stopper the long-since full canteen and dip the next into the creek. "Honestly, I'm a little surprised that Master hasn't tried to pull the overbearing father act yet. Avoiding that was a lot of the reason why I hired a land agent."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/07/12, 09:20 am

Vedran chuckled, amused at the serious consideration she gave the threat. "I think Mamma Oglaf will love you - you're a strong woman, in lots of ways. Poor Thru though, Master Halatir can be pretty terrifying. But you hired a land agent? Where are you looking to move to?"

Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 14/07/12, 03:57 pm

"Kord's teeth, can he ever." Her nerves had been somewhat mollified by Vedran's assertion, but the follow-up about Master made her wince. She should probably say something when they got back home. Delona shrugged over the upcoming move. "I'm not sure yet. I told him I needed somewhere with enough room for katas and a short commute to the Union. So far the best option would be a houseboat. I'd have to take classes and get certified, but it would be plenty of room for fairly cheap." She grinned at the idea of living on the bay during the next rainy season. "And the storms would be epic."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/07/12, 04:26 pm

"But that's a draw, not a drawback right?" He grinned, remembering her affinity for Kord. "Houseboats are pretty cool - just don't expect Kallista to ever visit, from what I hear. Last I heard, Thur was planning to get a place somewhere with Cael too. You guys could probably have a fair amount of privacy there, too."

He shook his head as he started filling a second waterskin, thinking briefly about Cael and Kier and wondering how that was all going. Now *that* was a complicated social intersection... Still, he trusted that would all shake out fine, and meanwhile there were other more important things to worry about. "How are you doing with everything else?" He smiled ruefully, realizing that was a stupidly broad question. "I was thinking about all the conspiracy stuff, but I know you have a lot of other things going on too. Have you heard anything back from that investigator in Issenvik?"
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 14/07/12, 07:09 pm

"Such a draw! I bet I could talk Kallista into visiting once in a while, though. The dock wouldn't move, after all, and I could move chairs onto it for parties." She nodded in confirmation of Thruik's plans. "Yeah, I think they've got it narrowed down to four or five places. Should be fun."

Delona scooped up another palmful to drink before corking the waterskin and getting another, giving herself a little extra time to try and find the words. "Nothing solid from the investigator outside of the usual 'yes I'm still working' progress reports, which raises questions in and of itself. Switch to PC went through, entirely due to the Mark already having been registered. As for the conspiracy..." She sighed softly before looking at him with a resigned not-frown. "We're over our heads, Ved. Over our heads and blind. It's starting to look pretty huge, so I'm really glad to have allies, but we've still got a problem. We don't do subtle very well. Stomping around trying to follow the threads is liable to get us killed or worse."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/07/12, 07:19 pm

He sat back on the grassy bank, setting aside the waterskins for the moment. "Well.. some of us are okay at subtle, I think. We've been doing okay, but you're right. We're liable to run in to more trouble if we're not more careful. Keeping busy and staying in the limelight can only carry us so far. We need more allies, and we need more people onboard with this who *are* good at subtle. It might be risky, for us and the people we involve, but the more of us there are, then we can watch each other's backs more easily. All of this to say, Brenn suggested to me that we shoudl tell Monti, and I think he's right, especially now. Nothing screams 'tell the church of Erathis' quite like hearing about the leader of a demonic cult confessing to being involved in an overarching conspiracy to overthrow civilization as we know it."
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 15/07/12, 02:43 am

"Veddie, come on. Of course we need to tell Monti, that goes without saying. And of course that's gonna put her at risk. But she was already at risk, since the people who know that we know wouldn't have known if we'd told her or not. Everyone who associates with us is already potentially at risk, since we could potentially tell anyone. For some that risk is minimal, since it's really not all that likely that we're gonna tell our tailors, but the chance is still there. Odds that we'd told Monti were high from day one. So either they're keeping an eye on her for signs that she knows, or they're betting we haven't told, or they don't think any of us are enough of a threat to bother eliminating. And we don't know who our watchers are, so we have no way of figuring out which it is and what way they'll jump. This sucks. We don't know enough to know what we need to find out, they probably don't know how much we know, and we don't know what they think that we know. Gah!" Delona savagely corked the waterskin and flopped sideways onto the grass, rolling onto her back. "All this spy shit is making my head hurt."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 15/07/12, 12:54 pm

Vedran chuckled, looking over at the flopped over half-orc. It wasn't that her frustration was so funny, just that it was all so familiar. At the very least, he did feel like he had a better grasp on things now, and hoped he could help with that.

"Well, first off - tell me about it. Second of all - no one has been allowed to call me 'Veddie' since I was all of four, especially not when all parties are sober, and I will be having none of that, thank you. But more importantly - I think we are in a *lot* better place than we were a few weeks ago. I know how easy it is to get overwhelmed by all of this, trust me. But I think that, whoever may all be trying to keep tabs on us and whatever their resources may be, we're in a pretty good position right now. The confession we got off the cult leader here - the confirmation that these guys are all banding together for some common goal? That's a pretty good start, in terms of figuring all of this out. And what's more - we learned it in the course of conduction Union business. That's something we can point people at, and start to deal with, and if there is something bigger going on, at least we'll have more allies on our side paying attention."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 25/09/17, 01:47 pm