Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

We're all friends here.

elanya
    God
    God

We're all friends here.

Post by elanya on 01/07/12, 11:39 pm

Vedran watched the scouting party wind their way off into the plain in the direction of the the camp Redrum had told them about, then looked back at the tent where the goblin shaman was still tending to the sick. He could tell Selgrumel was concerned. There was something in the way she held herself that reminded him of Agyness when she was stressed; a kind of tension in her form that he mentally credited to some soldierly training. The others showed it in different ways.

He glanced back over to her, sure she'd been watching him and just as she she'd followed his gaze, and smiled - friendly but serious. "I meant what I said, Sel - you don't have anything to worry about from us. But I'd love to hear a little more detail about what all has been going on around here."

Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Re: We're all friends here.

Post by Josh on 02/07/12, 07:09 am

Selgrumel did her best to smile back. She glanced around the damaged halfling camp, assessing the situation, buying herself time. She liked the half-elf, but this was personal as well as political, and he was still a noble. Deciding to take a chance, she nodded towards a couple of tables and benches laid out near one of the camp's cooking fires nearby. As she began walking, she beckoned Hewalna and Nattumung to follow.

"I've got to be upfront with you, Vedran. You say we don't have anything to worry about from us, but there's danger involved for you to know about...all this. Are you sure you want to deal with that?"

Last edited by Josh on 02/07/12, 08:10 am; edited 1 time in total
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 02/07/12, 08:01 am

"You know - I've found myself saying that quite a lot recently too. Maybe we can help each other out some. I suspect we might be looking at different parts of the same picture."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 02/07/12, 08:39 am

The hobgoblin gave Vedran a quizzical look, then turned to take a seat on one of the low tables. She propped her feet up on the bench as Hewalna took a seat next to her. Nattumung gingerly sat down across from the pair.

When Vedran was seated, Selgrumel began continued.

"I'm not really sure where to start. I, uh, I guess this all started about a year ago, last Orichalcum. Natt, Thury, Red and I had just finished a tour. We were back in Highmark seeing family when,ah, something happened."

She turned to Hewalna with a questioning look. The other hobgoblin laid her hand on Selgrumel's and smiled. She then turned to face Vedran, though her expression grew distant, as though she were concentrating on something past him, through him. In the pattern of tribal markings on her face, some of the lines began to glow with a soft, blue-white light. Her eyes took on the same hue, her pupils overtaken by the glow. It was Hewalna who spoke next.

"This is what happened."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 02/07/12, 09:06 am

Vedran nodded slowly - Dragonmarks were manifesting unexpectedly all over the place lately, it seemed, and it did explain their contacts, their research, and their secrecy. He didn't really know much about the Hobgoblin dragonmark - Nerath termed it the Mark of Madness, but he knew it had another name as well. "I can see how that would complicate things for you... Which mark is that?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 02/07/12, 09:29 am

"Dannarhrug nir Wetharrak," Selgrumel answered, "the Dragonmark of Prophecy."

She cast another look at Hewalna, worried this time. The shaman seemed to rapidly be losing her focus on the conversation.

"Needless to say, it's been a worrisome issue. Usually she can control it, but sometimes Walna just...blanks out, kind of like she's doing now."

Hewalna gave a half-hearted slap vaguely in the direction of Selgrumel's hand at that.

"I'm still here, Sel. Just not only here."

Selgrumel shot a look at Nattumung, who nodded his head, mockingly sage-like. The warlord continued.

"In any event, we worried for a good while, and we four soldiers ended up not signing back up with our unit. We'd already considered taking the adventuring route anyway when Walna got a visitor. Do you know who Ryliun Maldred is?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 02/07/12, 09:48 am

Instinct told him that whatever was going on with the Pak, that somehow it was going to tie in to the issues the Thunderbolts were looking in to themselves, but the goblinoid activist was the first solid link. Once again he felt like he was grasping at the edge of something huge, like blind men trying to describe an elephant. His gaze settled on Hwalna for a moment as he wondered what she was seeing - prophecy seemed like it might be a double edged sword. "I know of him, yes," he replied, turning his attention back to Sel.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 03/07/12, 07:03 am

"Nearly every goblin does too. I don't know how he found out about Walna, but he just showed up one day in Undertow. He said he had a job for us, and a way to reclaim Nachtur."

Selgrumel looked distant herself for a moment.

"You have to understand. To have a homeland again...even if they don't want to admit it, its what every goblin dreams of. They don't like to acknowledge us, maybe, but we've been a part of Nerath for centuries. Worked its fields, built its cities, served in its armies. But we're still refugees to most."

She brought her gaze back into focus.

"Ryliun said he needed to track down the surviving members of the great houses of Nachtur. Gurygan, Umhrek, all of them, anyone he could find. Anyone we could find."

She shrugged.

"The Explorer's Union has more resources than Ryliun can bring to bear for an unproven group, so we signed up. Truth be told, I think he just wanted Walna, but he got all of us. I don't think he's regretted it since."

Nattumung finally spoke up, his gravelly voice concerned.

"Yeah, but we might. Tell him, Sel."

The warlord gave her friend a hard look before continuing.

"We haven't heard from him directly since...since the disaster in Undertow. We get messages through what we think trustworthy sources, but we've been doing our own digging. We think there may be some connection between Ryliun and the disaster, and we don't think we're the only ones who know that."

Nattumung grunted and frowned at Selgrumel, crossing his arms. She sighed and elaborated.

"Despite what I said before, the eight of us, we're Nerathi through and through. It may not be the way I'd prefer, but we've become a part of the Confederacy, and we've lost and spilled too much blood for it to go any other way. But, the more we've dealt with him, the more worried we are Ryliun doesn't see it that way."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 03/07/12, 08:19 am

Vedran listened carefully to their story. He trusted Sel and her people, and he believed her about where their loyalties lay. What she had to say about Ryliun was concerning if unsurprising., and he didn't bother to hide it. He let out a slow breath before answering. "Well. The disaster is something that we've all gotten pretty invested in looking in to - that's why I wondered if we haven't been stepping around the same issues. We know a lot about *what happened, but there's still a lot of fuzziness around the edges. This isn't the first time I've heard Ryliun's name mentioned in connection, but if you know more about that... Well. I'll fill you in on what we know, and maybe you can help us flesh it out some more."

Vedran waited for their assent, launching into his explanation of what they knew in a quiet voice. He explained what they knew about Melech Damakos and his research - how as far as they could tell so far he seemed to be looking in to ways to restore Nachtur, about the artifact (rather the fake artifact) stolen from the Church of Moradin in Mythragal and how things had all (probably) gone wrong, about Sorrow - hopefully safely out of Nerath with Dheni - and House Himrall's plans to continue that research. "We thought at first that Damakos might have been working for Ryliun, but Sorrow said they didn't get along, and that he was more likely he was involved with some of the Tiefling groups interested in reclaiming the city, but it it clear we're still missing information, and I'm not completely willing to rule out that whatever happened wasn't completely an accident either. We've also heard that Spire may have had some interest, if not involvement, but that's more tenuous."

There was more to say, but that was, he felt, enough for them to absorb for the moment.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 03/07/12, 09:42 am

Hewalna seemed to recover from her reverie as Vedran spoke, her attention slowly returning to the present conversation. She responded first to Vedran's exposition.

"Hmm. We knew Ryliun had worked with Damakos before, but, like you said, they didn't get along terribly well. Spire we hadn't heard about, but its not out of the question."

Selgrumel followed with her own question.

"Who knows about all this? We didn't feel we had much of anywhere to go with the information, but the Thunderbolts, you have more connections, right?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 03/07/12, 10:11 am

At that, Vedran sighed. "Well... It's tricky. My father is informed, and we have some other allies here and there - friends with connections that we know we can rely on, mostly. But other than that... After we ran in to trouble with House Himrall in Mythragal, we've been pretty careful about who to involve. We haven't said anything to Monti, though I'm sure she knows we're up to something."

He paused. "Part of it is that.... I think there is something even bigger going on. The Thunderbolts ran in to two other cult groups just coming back from Grimfarr a few moths ago, and I suspect something has Himrall thinking seriously about Ahkas again... and they're surely not alone. We barely managed not to have riots in Highmark after the disaster, and you know how tense things are there, still. There's serious unrest in Thanatopolis now too, and lot of other little things that all add up to nothing good. I am less and less inclined to believe that these are all just coincidence, either. We just don't have enough of a sense of things to know where to turn, so we've been doing the best we can to figure out what all's going on."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 03/07/12, 06:58 pm

Selgrumel sighed and slumped her shoulders.

"Yeah, we'd been thinking along the same lines, that there's something larger going on. But we're not exactly equipped to handle something that big. I don't really know who is."

Silence lingered in the wake of that statement. Nattumung sighed heavily, breaking the silence.

"Cheerful bunch we are. The upshot is, we're still flailing in the dark, which, no offense, you seem to be too. But maybe, with more pieces shared among more of us, we might come close to putting this all together."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 03/07/12, 07:11 pm

Vedran smiled at that. "That's exactly what I'm hoping, Nat. And let's not sell ourselves short either. We do have a pretty good set up for figuring out more of this. We can travel, we have a chance to deal with some of this stuff face to face. Like this cult, even - when we figure out where they are, I think one thing we'll want to try and do is take some of their leadership alive, and see if we can learn anything from them. Meanwhile, if you have more to say about Ryliun, I'd love to hear it."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 04/07/12, 01:54 pm

Selgrumel answered him, her tone apprehensive.

"Its...we can't get anything solid. Associates of associates who engage in less-than-legal activities, that sort of thing. None of it leads directly back to Ryliun, but it means at best he's dangerously naive. And I have a hard time believing that. If you met him, you'd understand."

She looked to Hewalna for help. The shaman addressed Vedran with her characteristic soft voice.

"He has a plan, we know that, and he has a gift for attracting followers to his side. But I'm not sure he's evaluating the consequences of what he wants. He seeks a restored and independent Nachtur, but that's practically impossible, at least as things stand."

Her face fell, her expression sad.

"In my dreams, I see two outcomes for my people. Our city rebuilt, or obliterated. Sometimes I'm not sure they're different visions."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 04/07/12, 02:21 pm

Vedran knew rationally that a restored Nachtur in the hands of the goblinoid peoples at all was something of an idealistic fantasy, but with everything they'd learned and been through it wasn't something he was willing to give up on. He could understand the appeal of an independent city to some people, but he was too Nerathi himself to want that, let alone consider it feasible or worth what it would inevitably cost. "The only way that could happen was if the Confederacy was destroyed. It does feel like *someone* is working towards that goal, of tearing everything apart... But there's so many factions involved that it's hard to say who is pushing things, or why."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/07/17, 05:46 am