Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Orphans ahoy!

Curtana
    God
    God

Orphans ahoy!

Post by Curtana on 18/06/12, 06:06 pm

Now that they were back in Highmark, Aleyn had a small amount of superfluous money and plenty of good intentions, but no idea where the orphanage actually was, or how best to go about donating to them. So he went looking for someone who would know. Roscoe had struck him as being the most involved in the financial side of things, so he started with him.

"Hey Roscoe - do you know any orphans who could use some extra funds I have lying around?" he asked the warforged after one of their days of testing at the Union.
    Zari
    God
    God

Re: Orphans ahoy!

Post by Zari on 18/06/12, 11:35 pm

Roscoe immediately perked up at the mention of the orphanage. "Well, the Matrons generally prefer that we not come down and lavish gifts on specific kids - I mean, they're all pretty hard up, you know? Jealousy can be a big problem with them - but there is a gifts/toys fund that they use when it has enough for everyone to get a new thing. And of course, there's always little stuff like candy, or books for the library, or taking everyone out on a day trip, things like that." He chuckled a bit sheepishly. "I did get asked to please schedule the day trips in advance, instead of busting in to breakfast and announce that we were all going to the zoo. That.... yeah, it works better when you ask in advance. Less yelling."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 19/06/12, 07:54 am

Aleyn chuckled. "That seems like a reasonable policy. Preventing yelling is a very important goal when there are dozens of children in one place, I imagine." He considered for a moment. "Books for the library sounds like a great idea. Maybe some picture books for the littler kids? If my nieces and nephew are anything to go by, those are the ones that get destroyed the fastest."
    Zari
    God
    God

Post by Zari on 19/06/12, 08:44 pm

Roscoe nodded ruefully. "Yeah, and storytime is a lot more pleasant when the book doesn't fall apart in your hands, into a big lump of wood pulp and saliva."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 19/06/12, 08:53 pm

"Definitely," Aleyn agreed. "I'll try to get ones that are fairly sturdy, so maybe they'll hold up a bit longer. Do you go read to them sometimes, then? That sounds like it might be fun."
    Zari
    God
    God

Post by Zari on 19/06/12, 09:11 pm

He nodded happily. "Yeah, the little ones especially like it, and the Matrons like being free to do other things while the kids are occupied. I do story time every day when I'm in town, and kitchen duty if they let me or if I miss story time. With our schedule, it's hard to know when I'm going to be here, so they try and fit me into places where I won't do a lot of damage to the kids' routine."

A quiet chuffling at his feet made Roscoe laugh. "Oh, and of course they all like Sparky. They run him around all over the grounds, and he doesn't get tired or snappy or anything. He really is the best dog." Scooping the metal hound into his arms, he laughed happily as Sparky's long, leather tongue attacked his face.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 19/06/12, 09:25 pm

"He is a pretty excellent dog," Aleyn agreed, grinning. "And you never have to clean up after him, either..." His expression grew more serious. "Would it be totally disruptive of the routine they've got going there if I went to help out once in a while? Like you said, with our schedules, it's hard to commit to being there at the same time every day or whatever, but I'd still like to do something more than just hand over some cash and call it done."
    Zari
    God
    God

Post by Zari on 19/06/12, 09:43 pm

Roscoe tilted his head in confusion. "Of course I have to clean up after him, he's a dog. One time he even peed in Tzesira's bedroll!"

"But anyway, yeah, I think they'd like to have more volunteers, if you're willing. You wanna go down now, meet the kids?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 19/06/12, 09:50 pm

Aleyn laughed. "I didn't think he had to... well, ok - that's pretty funny, I'm sure the look on Tzesira's face was priceless. Anyway, sure, yes, I'd be happy to go meet them!"
    Zari
    God
    God

Post by Zari on 25/06/12, 11:59 pm

Roscoe started packing away his testing supplies (calipers, test tubes, unguents and oils, and various pieces of oddly-shaped machinery), shuffling papers into some semblance of order and serenely tucking them away into his abdomen. "I think you're going to like the kids. I mean, they can be a little wild, but they're great. Do you think anyone else would want to come with us?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 26/06/12, 10:11 am

"Mmm, maybe Kallista?" Aleyn suggested. "We can see if she's around, at least. I think she was testing athletics today, she might still be around the gym." Once Roscoe was packed up and safely stowed, they headed off to look for the tiefling.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 26/06/12, 10:37 am

Kallista had spent the last two hours running obstacle courses on a simulated mountaintop in the TSR, and her muscles were feeling every bit of it. Even a hot shower hadn't been able to get rid of all the aching. These tests were getting harder and harder all the time. She supposed that was the idea, and it did drive home the idea of how far they had come. five levels ago she would never have even made it over the rock climb, much less the swimming portion. Still, it left a body sore.

As she exited the women's shower in a fresh change of clothes she saw Aleyn and Roscoe peeking their heads furtively into the gym.

"Hey boys!" she called out with a smile, "Whatcha up to?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 26/06/12, 10:50 am

Aleyn waved, smiling back. "Hey Kallista, we were just thinking we'd go by the orphanage - I haven't been there before, so I'd like to see it, meet the kids, all that good stuff. Do you want to come along?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 26/06/12, 10:54 am

Kallista's grin widened. She loved visiting the kids.

"I'd love to! Let me get my..." Kallista began, but suddenly her face fell.

"Shit, I can't. I have my thievery test this afternoon."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 26/06/12, 11:04 am

"Oh, that's too bad," Aleyn said, looking disappointed. "If you'd like, we can wait and go after, maybe? Or would they be in the middle of dinner by then?"

He shot her a little smile. "Or maybe you could come steal some candy from a baby, consider it part of the test?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 26/06/12, 02:35 pm

Kallista grinned.

"Nah. Thanks for the invite, but I'll take a raincheck. Maybe I'll head down there after tests are over."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 26/06/12, 02:41 pm

"Okay, good luck with your test!" Aleyn told her cheerfully. "I'm sure you'll do great." Turning to Roscoe, he asked "Anyone else you think might want to join us?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/07/17, 05:43 am