Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Sightseeing

tuck
    God
    God

Re: Sightseeing

Post by tuck on 23/05/12, 08:46 pm

"Ooooh, the zoo sounds like fun " Kallista said, "Man, this whole town is fantastic! everywhere I look there seems to be new amazing stuff to see."

She turned to watch the flaming acrobats swinging back and forth on the trapezes set up over the park.

"Those guys aren't very impressive, though", she said with a wry grin, "The fire's probably fake and the long haired guy hasn't made a clean dismount since I've been watching him. At least he's cute enough that I don't mind watching his mistakes. Thank the gods for tights."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/05/12, 09:13 pm

Aleyn glanced at the acrobat she was talking about and gave a little smirk. "Not bad," he agreed, after a calculated appraisal of the man's assets. "But maybe the next act will be more than just a pretty, uh, face." He nodded to where a group of musicians were beginning to set up on the other side of the fountain.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 23/05/12, 10:47 pm

Vedran eyed the musicians and shrugged affably. "I'm happy to stick around, I've had enough wandering for a while and I still don't know what happened to Agyness. We were debating checking out the grotesquery though, so she might be looking for me there."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 24/05/12, 08:37 am

"Grotesquery?" Kallista asked, "What's that? It sounds kind of... not good."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 24/05/12, 12:03 pm

"The grotesquery is full of illusions that are less pretty and more... disturbing and frightening. We were joking when we heard about it that we were hard to impress battle hardened adventurers, and one of the locals called us on it and said we ought to go check it out. I admit I'm kind of curious, but it also sounds like the sort of place that would be more fun if you had someone to cling to."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 24/05/12, 12:10 pm

Kallista laughed.

"Well, you can always cling on to me if you want", she said with a teasing wink, "It sounds like fun. I'd be up for it if you guys want. But I'm also cool with relaxing here."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 24/05/12, 12:14 pm

Aleyn had been thinking the same thing, but wasn't about to say as much, so he was secretly amused that Kallista had done it for him. "Maybe in a little while - it would probably be more fun once it gets dark anyway, don't you think?" he said as the waiter arrived with their drinks.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 24/05/12, 12:32 pm

"Maybe, yeah, and I'm happy where I am for the moment." He smiled noncommittally, flagging the waitress down to ask for a refill as well.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 24/05/12, 02:12 pm

Aleyn's eyes widened as he watched the musicians wheel out a huge .... contraption of some sort, equipped with a wide assortment of pipes and gears and valves and bellows. "Uh, guys?" he asked, "any idea what that is?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 24/05/12, 03:08 pm

"Oooohhhh..." Vedran sat up a little bit as the musician's wheeled out the strange looking instrument, eyes going a little wide. "That, I think, is a gnomish fire organ! They super-heat the pipes and use infused steam to create different tones and special effects, all sorts of cool harmonics stuff. One of my mother's friends had one for a while, but he had to get rid of it after a while because the insurance was too expensive to actually play it anywhere worth performing in Highmark."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 24/05/12, 03:29 pm

"Fire organ, huh?" Kallista said with a wry grin, "That sounds like something else completely."

She eyed the billows-like contraption that formed the back half of the instrument warily. It was made of copper pipes, leather, and a large copper boiler with gears and levers around its circumference.

"Is that thing safe? I mean, I doubt I'm in any danger if it blows up, but everyone else... it's kind of a crowded park."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 24/05/12, 03:52 pm

Vedran chuckled, and grinned. "You think you're safe? Since when are tieflings immune to shrapnel? They do sounds really neat though, and they're way over across the square, I'm sure we'll be fine. I mean if they are willing to trot it out, they're showing a fair amount of confidence, as they're the ones in the greatest dangers and... ooooh, is that an Armonica?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 24/05/12, 04:16 pm

Kallista stuck her tongue out at the bard teasingly.

"Well at least I'd die of the shrapnel and not some wussy burns" she said, "I heard one of those armonicas played in an inn outside Highmark once. They're so simple but really beautiful. Almost made me wish I'd become a bard instead of a rogue. I actually thought about it for a while. Even learned how to play the flute. I haven't practiced in forever, though."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 24/05/12, 05:53 pm

"No musical talents on my part," Aleyn said with a self-deprecating shrug. "Couldn't even carry a tune in a bucket. But I like listening to it. Preferably at a safe distance from any potential explosions, though," he added, a bit warily.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 24/05/12, 08:38 pm

Vedran chuckled. "That's too bad - I know Delona plays the harp, I was going to suggest we should form a band. But really, the fire organ is really cool once it gets going, and it isn't *that* likely to explode..."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 24/05/12, 09:18 pm

"Heh, well, around here the odds are good it's not real anyways. This city is amazing, but... knowing it's all an illusion... kinda makes it feel hollow. It's like that trapeze artist up there." she said, with a grin and a nod towards the acrobat, "Pretty to look at, but lacking where it counts."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 24/05/12, 09:26 pm

Aleyn nodded, thinking back to their recent conversation, which seemed all the more relevant after Kallista's metaphor. "There's definitely something to be said for substance," he agreed, sipping his drink. "Even if it's less flashy sometimes, it's better for leaning on - you don't fall through nearly so easily."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 24/05/12, 09:42 pm

He was pretty sure he must be lacking some context for Aleyn's comment, but it struck close to home anyway, and he felt a twinge of nerves, or something else that made his heart race for just a moment, as he regarded the sorcerer thoughtfully. Substance felt as out of reach for him as any illusion, and the heavy weight of his personal problems much more real. He laughed, finally, shaking his head. "What's this philosophy all of a sudden?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 24/05/12, 09:50 pm

Kallista shrugged with a smile.

"Just a thought. After all, I guess there's a lot to be said for flashiness too."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 24/05/12, 09:52 pm

"Sorry," said Aleyn, a bit embarrassed. "I was just reminded of something Kallista and I were talking about earlier. Didn't mean to kill the mood. Pretty can be good too," he added with a smile to the tiefling. He turned his head to look out across the square. "Hey, I think they're starting it up finally - and I imagine at least that fire has to be real, or it wouldn't make the steam to power that giant of a thing."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 24/05/12, 09:57 pm

"Oh, good." Still feeling a little unsettled, Vedran shifted his chair to get a better view of the musicians. "We're either in for a real treat, or we may be running out of here with bleeding ears in about five minutes."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 24/05/12, 11:05 pm

Aleyn settled back to watch the show. The acrobats were clearing out of the way (perhaps prudently) and the musicians were warming up - literally. The initial sounds coming from the organ weren't encouraging - some wheezing, the clack of gears - but then suddenly, and a bit unexpectedly, a resonant humming began from the depths of the pipes, soon overlaid with complex harmonies he couldn't really grasp, but which were oddly soothing.

He was still thinking about the way Vedran had looked at him a few moments before - like he was longing for something that was painfully out of reach. He didn't really understand what was going on in the half-elf's head, but he knew that whatever was creating that perception of distance, it wasn't something he could do anything about. Aleyn had been abundantly clear about his feelings, and Vedran had to know the offer was still open. He would just have to decide for himself whether the obstacles were real or illusionary.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/09/17, 07:04 pm