Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Sightseeing

Curtana
    God
    God

Re: Sightseeing

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 02:41 pm

Ignoring the people milling around them, Aleyn pulled her into his arms in the middle of the street, seeing that she was on the verge of tears. "It's all right," he told her quietly. "All right to still be upset about it, too. Do you want to talk about it more, or would you rather go find something pretty to look at instead?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 02:51 pm

Kallista allowed herself to be easily drawn into the hug, not really caring much for what strangers thought even under the best conditions. She sniffled a bit, but looked up at Aleyn with a smile.

"I'm sorry. I'm ok, really" she said, seeming to have gotten her emotions under control for the moment, "Let's just talk about something else if that's okay."

She knew that if she let herself start thinking about the disaster again it might ruin both of their days. Better to save the self-pity for another time. For today she wanted to enjoy herself.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 02:57 pm

"Of course," Aleyn said, smiling back. Letting her go but keeping his arm around her, he led her to the end of the street and around the corner, where it shifted from jungle into what looked like an ice castle, all sparkling and white (but not in the least cold). "This way?" he asked, glancing down to see if she was enjoying herself again.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 03:02 pm

Kallista smiled when they turned the corner to see the towering ice spires looming over the street. In front of each shop, a different shaped ice statue stood in stark beauty, while a light dusting of fluffy snow fell around them.

"Oh wow..." Kallista said, momentarily speechless, "Oh my gods... I've never seen anything like this..."

Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 05:23 pm

Aleyn smiled, relieved that Kallista seemed to be returning back to her usual cheerful self. "I think I like this one even better than the last one," he agreed, admiring the exquisite artistry of the ice sculptures. "All the pretty, none of the cold."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 06:10 pm

Kallista nodded. The city icescape was indeed beautiful.

"I wonder if the rest of the gang have gotten a chance to see this. Delona would love it."

She reached out her hand to touch a giant pillar of ice that rose from the street to a spiked point. It was slick and cold to the touch, like real ice, despite the air around it being warm.

"Are there really places like this?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 06:15 pm

"...Probably?" said Aleyn, grinning at Kallista's infectious enthusiasm. "But they would be a lot less comfortable to walk around in - slippery and freezing. You'd need seven layers of fur just to keep warm," he teased.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 06:22 pm

Kallista laughed and gave Aleyn a friendly jab on the arm.

"There you go, ruining all my fantasies. Yeah, I guess it would be especially unpleasant for a tiefling, huh? I have a hard enough time dealing with Highmark winters."

"I bet Vedran would know for sure. He seems to know a little bit about everything. Speaking of..." she said with a slight grin, "What's going on between you two?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 06:36 pm

Aleyn turned faintly red, and became intensely absorbed in admiring a mosaic made out of snowflakes. "Uh... nothing really," he muttered. He probably should have stopped there, but Kallista was easy to talk to and he'd been dwelling on what had happened with Vedran for a couple of weeks, so it sort of accidentally came spilling out. "Well, it's complicated... I'm not entirely sure what he wants. Or actually, I'm pretty sure I know what he wants, but maybe he's not sure what he wants... or maybe he is, but he can't quite... do it." He hunched his shoulders in a shrug. "Anyway, I'm sure that it's too soon since his marriage breaking up for anything to happen, so... that's understandable. Everything's fine between us, though," he added hastily. "We talked, we're fine."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 07:06 pm

Kallista listened to Aleyn's garbled account of their relationship and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Complicated is right" she said with a sympathetic smile, "Nothing is ever simple when it comes to Vedran and relationships, it seems."

She paused for a moment and bit her lip, as though trying to decide whether to say something.

"If you don't mind me saying..." she continued, eventually, "You do seem rather... infatuated with him. I admit he's as cute as a nymph, but there's plenty of other fish in the sea. Isn't there anyone else less... complicated... that you like?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 11:52 pm

Aleyn's brow furrowed, pensive. He pushed aside the unexpected and confusing thoughts he'd had the night before when Kallista had been kissing him, as those were definitely not in the 'less complicated' category. "No, I don't think there is. Not lately, anyway. I've tried less complicated, but I don't seem to be very good at it anymore. It was easier when I was young," he said with a rueful smile.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/05/12, 08:38 am

"Oh, please" Kallista said with a grin, "You're not that old. You're what, thirty? You've got plenty of time to find a few nice guys... or, you know, one, if that's your thing."

She elbowed him lightly.

"Preferably ones that aren't as complicated."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/05/12, 08:59 am

"Well, I'm certainly not ruling it out, if I meet someone," Aleyn said with a wink. "But the thing is..." He considered for a moment, choosing his words carefully to try and explain. "As I've gotten older, I've realized more and more that what I really need from ...whoever I'm with... is an emotional connection, not sex. Well, not just sex," he clarified with a slightly bashful smile. "Care, compassion, trust, honesty. And those things are always going to be complicated, because people are complicated."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/05/12, 09:20 am

Kallista nodded, realizing that they might be talking about two different things.

"I think I understand" she said, "I guess life is just complicated, huh?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/05/12, 09:39 am

"You said it," Aleyn agreed wholeheartedly, giving her shoulder another squeeze. He glanced ahead, seeing past the ice display and over the heads of the crowds something that looked like it involved fire-wreathed acrobats (although maybe the fire was just illusionary? He couldn't quite tell from this distance.) "Want to go check out the performers?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/05/12, 09:50 am

"Sounds like fun" Kallista grinned.

They turned off the main road and headed for the central park, where most of the performers were, arms still casually draped across each other.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 23/05/12, 01:07 pm

Vedran had managed to loose Agyness somewhere in the press of the crowd after they'd wandered through the ice sculptures, but the open square around the fire acrobats was sunny and cool, and he'd grabbed a table at a little cafe near a fountain (today gushing flames in a cycle of reds and deep purples) to grab a drink, in the hopes that she would turn up, or that he might spot Del, Warryn, or Roscoe who'd made vague mentions of trying to meet up for lunch somewhere in the area.

He was surprised not to see any of them, but rather Kallista and Aleyn, arms draped casually around each other like they'd been friends for years, and not less than a month. He waved casually at the pair.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/05/12, 01:23 pm

Aleyn's gaze was instinctively drawn to Vedran - he would probably have noticed him even if the crowd had been ten times larger, to be honest. He lifted a hand to wave back, smiling, and drew Kallista over in the direction of the cafe. "Nice view from here," he said cheerfully to Vedran as they approached, with a nod to the acrobats and the fountain of flames, but for some reason he wasn't nearly as interested in them as he had been a few moments before.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/05/12, 02:13 pm

Kallista felt Aleyn tug her gently towards the open air cafe and wondered for a moment where he was taking her, but then her yellow eyes spotted Vedran waving, and she smirked.

"You're hopeless" she said teasingly, leaning up to whisper in his ear with a giggle.

"Heya V!" she said happily as they approached the table. She let go of her friend with a final squeeze and sat down next to Vedran at the small wrought iron table.

"Where's everyone else?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 23/05/12, 03:16 pm

"They're around somewhere," he grinned. "Too many shiny distracting things, I guess. I thought it might be nice to sit and be found rather than chase people all over Aethrennar, though, and the fountain was pretty and they have a really nice fresh juice bar. Have a seat; maybe someone else will turn up."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/05/12, 04:39 pm

Aleyn took a seat across from Vedran, and managed to flag down a waiter so that he and Kallista could order drinks. After a moment's consideration of the menu, he selected a peach and lemon concoction spiked with mint, which was apparently supposed to be 'refreshingly tart.'
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 23/05/12, 04:48 pm

Kallista eyed the menu for only a brief moment before looking up at the waitress.

"Hot ginger tea, please. Very hot."

She turned to Vedran inquisitively.

"So, see anything really cool? I think I like the ice street the best so far."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 23/05/12, 05:36 pm

"Those are really beautiful, aren't they? Agyness and I went by the light gardens too, and they were quite impressive, even during the day. Of course if I was here for the festival and didn't go see them, my father would probably disown me. And oh yes! The zoo! We ran in to Roscoe and Sparky there. They had some really cool displays with really realistic - but harmless - monstrous animals, which were neat to be able to look at without them having to kill you. And I got some things for Macen." Finishing his recital of the itinerary, he grinned, nudging a bag at his feet that looked to contain, at the very least, a stuffed chimera.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 23/05/12, 07:16 pm

"Oh, that's a good idea!" Aleyn exclaimed. "I should make sure to pick up some little things for my nieces and nephew before we leave. Nothing that'll be too annoying to carry around for the rest of the trip, though," he added with a grin.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 23/05/12, 07:46 pm

"Well, there's good stuff for kids everywhere, really - Agyness had to keep me from getting carried away." He flashed a self-deprecating smile that spread in to a full grin. "But you should see Sparky!"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/09/17, 06:51 am