Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Sightseeing

tuck
    God
    God

Sightseeing

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 10:30 am

"Ooooooooooh", Kallista said with wide-eyed wonder. She and Aleyn had decided to go exploring and had just turned onto a wide city boulevard which had been decorated with illusions in a rainforest theme. Swaying vines climbed the spired towers of Aethrennar and various animals, from monkeys to colorful birds to tiny fireflies flitted through the dense foliage that sprang from the sides and roofs of the buildings. It seemed that each major road in the square was decorated in a different theme. The one they had just left was a giant cavern with shimmering crystals and towering stalagmites.

A bright blue hummingbird fluttered down and hovered in front of Kallista's face, as if examining her curiously. She could see the tiny creases in its individual feathers and feel the light breeze from its madly flapping wings. The attention to detail was incredible.

"Gods... it's hard to believe all of this is illusions. They really go all out for this festival, don't they?" she said to her traveling companion.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Re: Sightseeing

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 10:44 am

Aleyn nodded, gazing up at the delicate canopy of vines and leaves above them that seemed to sprout from the buildings themselves. "It's amazing," he agreed. "Kielly always told us how spectacular it was, but we never made it here during the festival - I think she was always a bit disappointed about that. She would have loved this." He hesitated for a moment. "Well, maybe she is loving it, I don't really know where she is these days."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 10:47 am

"Kielly?" Kallista asked, "Was she one of your old party?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 10:56 am

"Yeah," said Aleyn, smiling fondly. "Kielly Shatterglass - she's a bard, and believe me, the name suited her," he said with a chuckle. "She was a sweetheart, though. She grew up here for a while, but moved to Highmark when she was still a kid. Last I saw her was a couple of years ago - before she left Highmark she stopped in to say goodbye, and I haven't heard from her since. She never was any good with letters," he said a bit wistfully.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 11:04 am

"I'm sorry" Kallista said, "Have you ever thought of trying to track down some of your old teammates? I mean... if the Thunderbolts ever broke up I can't imagine not ever seeing you guys again. We're like a family."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 11:10 am

"Sometimes," said Aleyn. "I do miss them." He paused, watching a butterfly the size of an eagle glide over their heads. "I know where a couple of them are," he continued after a moment. "It's just that they're the ones it would be most awkward to go hang out with. You know, the family members you kind of wish you weren't related to," he added with a dry little laugh. "Everyone's got a few of those, right?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 11:15 am

"Heh" Kallista said a bit awkwardly, "Yeah. Some of us more than others."

She looked up at the giant moth above them, but without quite the smile she'd had beforehand.

"Did Monti or Vedran ever tell you about my family?" she asked, "Because if not... there's probably some things you should know about me."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 11:19 am

Aleyn's brow furrowed in concern as he sensed that he'd put his foot in his mouth. "No... no one's mentioned your family."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 11:28 am

Kallista saw Aleyn's discomfort and laughed.

"It's ok, you didn't say anything wrong. Besides, me taking offense at something someone said to me would be a bit ironic to say the least. It's just... if you're gonna be part of the Thunderbolts you should really know a few things."

She sighed. Telling people about her family was never easy, no matter how many times she had to do it.

"I'm originally from Bael Hexott, a small fortress out on the edges of Highmark's territory. It's the home of a group called Geyr Hextor. They're a fringe cult that worships Kossuth and other dark gods. You may have read about them in our mission reports. They're... well, they're kinda fucked up is what they are."

Last edited by tuck on 22/05/12, 04:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 11:42 am

"Oh." Aleyn's eyes widened. "Yeah, I remember reading a bit about them, and I think they were mentioned once or twice, but I didn't make the connection... I'm really sorry, Kallista. That must have been a pretty weird way to grow up." He suspected that was probably an understatement, actually, but didn't want to offend her or make her feel uncomfortable.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 11:58 am

"Hah!" she laughed, "Weird doesn't begin to cover it. When I was young my mother used to give me daily lessons on stabbing people. Sometimes she used mannequins to illustrate on. Sometimes... sometimes she didn't. I try not to think about it too much, but it's weird that to some extent I still use a lot of the things she taught me, just for a better cause. Or at least I hope so."

She shrugged.

"Sometimes I feel like maybe the apple didn't fall as far from the tree as I like to think it did."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 12:26 pm

"I'm sure that's not true," Aleyn tried to reassure her. He put a friendly arm around her shoulders, pulling her a bit closer. "As far as I've seen, you use your skills for saving the rest of us, and that's got to be a better cause!"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 12:30 pm

Kallista smiled and leaned into the sorceror, putting her own arm around his waist.

"Thanks" she said, "But yeah, basically my entire family consists of people I wish I weren't related to. What about you? What's your family like?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 12:37 pm

Aleyn chuckled. "Mostly great. I mean, they have their problems, like anyone, but we get along pretty well, all things considered. I'm the oldest, so I tend to get everyone else's issues to deal with, but I'm used to it. If you're brave enough, when we get back I'll take you over for a family dinner and you can meet them all, but I warn you, they can be a bit overwhelming," he teased. "Six brothers and sisters, plus two of them are married and have kids now, so four more little ones under the age of six, and of course my mother, who, I warn you right now, will tell you you're too skinny and insist you have to eat more."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 12:44 pm

Kallista laughed.

"Only six? I have ten half-siblings between my fathers seven wives. God only knows how many cousins I have. I never counted."

She grinned up at him.

"I'd love to meet your family sometime, but I'd be more afraid of putting my foot in my mouth than being overwhelmed. I tend to make people uncomfortable with the things I say sometimes. I don't mean to, it just... sorta happens."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 12:50 pm

"Ok, so maybe you know about overwhelming," he said lightly. "And as for putting your foot in your mouth... honestly, there will be so many people talking all at once, at most only one or two of them would notice if you did." He laughed, a thought suddenly occurring to him. "I'll have to make it really clear to my mother that you're not there as my girlfriend, though, or she might get her hopes up. She probably will no matter what I say, though," he added with a smile and an eye-roll.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 12:54 pm

Kallista furrowed her brow slightly.

"Why would she get her hopes up at me being your girlfriend?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 01:02 pm

"Because even though I've explained to her that I like men, she hasn't quite accepted that that means I'm not interested in women," Aleyn said with a smile. "Never mind that I've pointed out she has plenty of other willing victims to produce grandchildren for her and she doesn't need me to do it. I'm pretty sure she thinks all it would take would be the right girl to lure me back."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 01:13 pm

Kallista grinned. So her suspicions had been right after all!

"Heh, well maybe once your siblings start pumping out kids she'll let off a bit. If there's one thing I've learned in life it's that you can't always do what your family wants you to."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 01:23 pm

"Oh, definitely," Aleyn agreed cheerfully. "If I'd gone with my parents' wishes, I'd have married my first and only girlfriend, and we'd probably both be miserable. Instead I became an adventurer and she married someone else and we got to stay friends, which was much better for all concerned. My mother still occasionally reminds me how I 'let her get away', though."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 01:35 pm

Kallista nodded and squeezed Aleyn's waist gently as they walked, although she wasn't about to speculate on where she would be if she'd listened to her parents' wishes.

"Your mom sounds like an interesting person" she said with a grin, "What about your dad? Is he still around?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 01:53 pm

"Interesting is one word," he said, but his smile faded slightly when Kallista asked about his father. "He's not, no. He was doing some custom glass work at a factory in Undertow when everything went to hell there, and just... never made it out."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 01:57 pm

"Oh..." Kallista said, feeling bad for having mentioned the topic, "I'm sorry. That's what I mean about putting my foot in my mouth. That must have been really hard on your family. It was a really bad day for a lot of people. It still feels kind of unreal when I think about it, even months after the fact. I'm sorry for bringing it up."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 22/05/12, 02:11 pm

"It's OK," Aleyn said, giving her a little squeeze to let her know he wasn't terribly upset. "It was hard, especially not knowing for sure that he was really gone. But we're doing all right these days. My sister Lystra and her husband have been sort of gradually taking over the business, and my mother's keeping busy with work... Vedran mentioned you guys were right there when it happened, that must have been awful," he said sympathetically.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 22/05/12, 02:22 pm

Kallista shrugged.

"Honestly, there wasn't time to think about it when it happened. Things started blowing up and we just kind of kicked into panic mode. It was afterwards... after the adrenaline was gone and there was still a giant crater where the town used to be... that was when it was really rough. Undertow is a tough place, but I don't know if it will ever fully recover from what happened. We lost an awful lot."

Kallista was using every bit of her strength to not cry right then. In her mind she could still see the houses burning, some of the people running and screaming, and others who were entirely too still. She could still hear the sobbing of the children, covered in soot and burns, too young to understand what had happened.

From nowhere she heard Anibaal's words echo in her mind.

The flame has already touched this city, dear cousin, and it shall rise to consume it.

"Sorry" she said, noticing that she had zoned out for a moment, "I just..."

She fought to blink away the tears that were already forming.

"I think all of us lost something that day."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 24/11/17, 02:35 am