Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Moving Day

Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Moving Day

Post by Josh on 16/05/12, 03:36 pm

"Not that I'm complaining, but with Brenn out of town and the rest of your team occupied...you really need to get more strong friends, Ved."

Agyness stood on the steps up to the bard's apartment holding a particularly large box of books. She swept a look back towards the wagon full of her friend's belongings, sizing up the job yet again. It was going to be a long morning.

"I have to be honest, though, I thought you'd have more stuff."
    elanya
    God
    God

Re: Moving Day

Post by elanya on 16/05/12, 03:49 pm

"Well, its really mostly clothes and books - I mean what else am I going to need, right?"

He grinned, but really the whole process was depressing as hell. There might have been more people he could wrangle from the guild to help out, but he hadn't felt like dealing with most of them. "Anyway, more people are coming eventually, I think... Roscoe maybe, and Thru and Del both said they'd try and stop by, and Cael if he doesn't get sucked in to working on some project. We can just get things moved inside now, anyway - I have no idea where to put anything yet and I can't decide if I should bother getting more furniture." He picked up a carefully labelled box of arcane reference books and followed his friend up the steps.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 16/05/12, 07:16 pm

"Well," she said, shouldering open the door, "you're an adventurer; certainly you've managed with less welcoming accommodations."

She made her way to the far wall, placing the large box flush with it. Turning around, she scanned the apartment with appraising eye.

"Oh, yeah, we can probably fit that whole wagon-load in this front room."

She made a face, regretting disparaging Vedran's lack possessions yet again.

"I imagine you're gonna need more bookshelves, at least. How do you even have time to read this much?" she asked playfully.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/05/12, 07:24 pm

"Oh, you know, in my copious spare time, now that I'm living the quiet life of a bachelor..." He set the other box down next to hers and shrugged. "Well I'm being overly ambitious, I'm sure, but I didn't really give super clear directions on what all I wanted either, so who knows what all I've got. I'll probably have to send some of these back for Kier, anyway." Turning around to take in the room, he sighed. "But yes - more shelves, a bed I can actually sleep in, maybe a divan or something for guests. I don't know though. I don't really know how comfortable I want to get here."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 16/05/12, 08:04 pm

She frowned with concern as he turned towards the door, but she knew he needed upbeat right now.

"Well, better get on that furniture. I have a feeling you'll have plenty of visitors, with all your new-found popularity."

She gave him a playful punch on the shoulder.

"Kier is Macen's new tutor, right?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/05/12, 08:13 pm

"True, I should at least make the place presentable, if I ever want people to come and visit! And yes," he grinned as she punched him, "as much as you need to tutor a toddler. But he seems to know what he's doing and, amazingly enough, he gets along alright with Marys, so that's working out pretty well."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 16/05/12, 09:20 pm

"He must be something special. I didn't think anyone got along with Marys." She chuckled as she started back to the wagon. "I kind of assumed she worked with children because her kind devoured their young."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/05/12, 09:35 pm

"I don't know, it's either that he is smart enough to stay out of her way, or that there's something about him that brings out her mothering instinct. I'm just glad we all agreed that he was the best choice, or I'd feel bad leaving him there." He held the door open for her, propping it open to facilitate the rest of their work before following her back down to help with one of the heavier trunks of clothes. "I guess we can take this into the bedroom. I'm probably goign to need to get a wardrobe too, this place doesn't have much for closets."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 16/05/12, 10:42 pm

"So, you mentioned Delona and Thru together back there," she said, a grunt of effort interrupting her thought as she and Vedran lifted the large trunk. "What's going on there?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/05/12, 10:52 pm

Vedran made a strained face as they coordinated the steps. Did he really own that many clothes? Did he really *need* that many? or maybe this was the chest with his armour and the rest would all be lighter... hopefully. Once they got into the main room, he nodded. "Coincidence that time, but I guess they really hit it off at the party after the level five fight and have been... ooof -" He slouched against the trunk once they set it down inside the bedroom. "They've been spending a fair amount of time together. They seem happy."

He stood up, dusting off his hands, and shrugged. "So how about you, anyway? I don't remember hearing what precipitated your move. Or being asked to do any heavy lifting."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 17/05/12, 07:10 pm

Agyness attempted a light tone, but Vedran knew her well enough to recognize forced levity.

"Oh, you know us military folk, we like to travel light. My father owns a villa here for when he's in town for business, so I've got most everything I need."

She moved to the doorway, avoiding eye contact with Vedran.

"They...I thought I should spend some more time away from home."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 17/05/12, 07:14 pm

"Well... I know how that goes. You wanna talk about it?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 17/05/12, 07:22 pm

"I, ah," Agyness began, unsure. "Don't you have enough to deal with without my problems?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 17/05/12, 07:30 pm

He smiled sympathetically, sitting down on the trunk. "Hey - misery loves company, right? And really - the more I have to take my mind off things the better. I'd rather worry about you than wallow."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 17/05/12, 09:20 pm

Agyness turned, a small appreciative smile on her face. Typical Vedran. She took a few steps into the room, leaning against the wall and sliding down to sit facing her friend.

"The Chandlers are losing support in the Apella, people are getting restless. Separatists and worse factions are working behind the scenes."

She stared at her hands, fidgeting.

"There's been...unrest. The clans are getting violent. There've been riots. Assaults."

Her expression turned bitter.

"My parents decided it was best for me to leave. Father is doing what he can to calm things, and he didn't want to afford his enemies any attempts to strike at him."

She sighed heavily.

"I understand, from his perspective, but once again the direction of my life is dictated by his actions. I don't even know what I'm going to do here in Highmark."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 17/05/12, 09:48 pm

"Well, that I can at least help with - Dheni is going to be away for a while, and since we've picked up another striker, the Thunderbolts could really use a good defender, if you're interested. It would give you something to do that isn't just sitting around in a villa not getting assassinated."

Vedran frowned thoughtfully. "Mind you, hanging with the Thunderbolts these days is not the safest option either - we've got some enemies of our own. I didn't know things were *that* bad in Thanatopolis, but I think it's a sign of something bigger. You talk about worse factions... I think there is someone, or someones, working to destabilize Nerath."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 17/05/12, 10:05 pm

Agyness gave her friend a broad smile at the mention of his team needing a defender.

"Seriously? That'd be great, Ved, thanks. I'll have to renew my PC card, but at least I know how to work the system now. It'd be nice to get back in the field."

Her smile faltered as Vedran continued.

"Destabilizing Nerath? I have to admit, I've been pretty preoccupied with Thantopolis's problems. What's going on?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 17/05/12, 10:40 pm

"Oh... lots of little things that add up to big worries. I could just be paranoid, but I'd rather be paranoid and wrong than dismissive and right. But... There is major unrest in Thanatopolis. Highmark nearly had riots after the disaster, and things are still really tense. A lot of Undertow still hasn't been rebuilt, and people are still living on handouts. There are people looking to reclaim Nachtur for various factions that, even if it were possible, I can't imagine wanting to share.... And I know that there are groups looking to renew hostilities with Ahkas. Groups who should know about all these other issues. I mean really, if nothing else, we don't have the resource reserves to handle a war after dealing with the disaster here. I'm sure there's other things I'm missing, too." He shrugged. "I can't say for sure that any of it is connected, it's just a hunch. Someone is stirring the pot."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 18/05/12, 06:31 am

Agyness frowned, considering.

"Who benefits, though? Highmark, Thantopolis, what does any of this get anyone?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 18/05/12, 09:27 am

That was the question, and the answer was hard to feel out. He couldn't point a finger anywhere concrete, at one group who might be pulling all the strings, if there was one, and it wasn't just a bunch of smaller interest groups coordinating some how. "Anyone who resents toe confederacy - people who want out, so separatists in Thanatopolis, say, or extremist Goblinoid groups, or anyone else who feels - or who is - oppressed, or Ahkasic interests, whether they want war or just to keep us out of one. People hate the confederacy for all kinds of reasons, and there are also extremist groups who just thrive on chaos." He sighed. "It could just all be coincidence. Nerath always has problems, it just seems like there have been a lot more of them recently. Maybe its just been long enough since the war that things are starting to bubble to the surface. Like I said, its just a gut feeling."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 18/05/12, 02:46 pm

"Well, they'd have us believe things held together pretty well before the war. Then again, even two hundred years later, Thantopolis still remembers the Uprising. Of course, that's easier when a half the population existed back then."

A quizzical look crossed Agyness's face.

"Have you talked to Brenn or Beryl? They see more of the Confederacy than most people I know, even you and your team, from what I hear."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 18/05/12, 02:55 pm

"Ahh...." Well he had talked to Beryl, sort of. He looked away for a second, but was unwilling to let himself get distracted. "Well. I told some things to Beryl - enough to make her worried, I guess, but we didn't get in to any of the big picture stuff, and... well there was other stuff going on. Is. I haven't had a chance to talk to Brenn, but I need to, and you're right. He's in a perfect position."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 18/05/12, 03:03 pm

Agyness sighed again and hung her head for a moment. She started speaking a few moments before raising her head again.

"No matter what we do, this sort of stuff is going to fall to us, isn't it? Everyone of us took a route to try and get out of it and we're going to end up like our parents, helping to hold the system together."

She gave a small chuckle.

"Except maybe Alia..."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 18/05/12, 03:12 pm

He grinned back at her - he'd never had any expectation of getting out from under his father's thumb, at lest, and still didn't. But he was finiding he had more freedom to act than he had at times feared. "Well at least we can do it on our own terms, right?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 18/05/12, 03:17 pm

She returned the smile with only a hint of hesitation.

"I suppose we can at that."

She pitched forward slightly, rising to her feet in a smooth motion.

"And, right now, those terms include a new apartment that I believe is still bereft of a wagon-load of possessions of one ridiculously clothes-hungry half-elf. Shall we?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 24/07/17, 11:40 am