Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Shopping!

Curtana
    God
    God

Re: Shopping!

Post by Curtana on 10/05/12, 10:07 pm

"Comedy sounds like a good plan," Aleyn agreed, thinking that a show that was too grim or depressing might not help anyone's mood tonight. "And if you have a box there, that makes it much easier - we don't have to worry about finding seats together if it's crowded."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 11/05/12, 09:18 am

"Alright, sounds like Lords and Ladies is the way to go. Kallista, did you want to try Melody, maybe? I think Alia has gotten some things made there before and been pretty happy with them. It's just back down that last street we passed."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 11/05/12, 09:46 am

"Ooooooh..." Kallista purred, remembering the gorgeous green dress that Alia had worn to the after party and that Kallista had stolen from her at the first opportunity. Alia had said it was a Melody original once she had retrieved it from the flowerpot outside the house that it had somehow ended up in and suitably punished Kallista for stealing it. And besides that, Kallista knew that Melody had a reputation as one of the better dressmakers in Highmark.

"Could we really?" she asked Vedran, giving him her best puppy-dog look.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 11/05/12, 10:06 am

He couldn't help smiling at the Tiefling. "Of course we can! Just back this way, then."

He turned to shepherd the group in the direction of the boutique, shepherding them inside and letting Kallista lead the way. The door bells tinkled softly as they entered, and the clerks and some of the other patrons looked over as they entered, causing a few quiet murmurs before one of the women came up to give them a welcoming smile. She gave a curtsy, eyeing Kallista and Delona especially with a particularly appreciative air.

"Welcome to Melody," she purred, "Do I have the pleasure of greeting the two *loveliest* ladies on the Thunderbolts? My, what a privileged! My name is Anise Lazar, Assistant Lead Designer, but I assure you our complete staff is at your service."

Vedran looked over to Aleyn with a shrug - this was not the kind of place that paid much attention to men.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 11/05/12, 10:17 am

Aleyn shrugged back, smiling wryly. He was just fine with going unnoticed for a little while. "We should probably find a place out of the way to sit and get comfortable," he suggested under his breath. He suspected that a custom-made gown would require a lot more in the way of measuring and discussion than his clothes had. Fortunately the shop had anticipated the needs of husbands and boyfriends dragged along on shopping excursions with a comfortable sofa tucked towards the back of the store. Aleyn ducked around some stuff that might have been architectural scaffolding, but was more likely some part of fancy womens' clothing he hadn't ever had to contend with, and took a seat, stretching out his legs and relaxing.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 11/05/12, 10:22 am

Kallista's eyes were wide with wonder at the many fabulous dresses on display as they entered the boutique.

"I uh..." she said, caught somewhat off guard by the excedingly warm reception. She hadn't yet had time to get used to the perks of her minor celebrity status.

"Thank you!" she said, finally, her smile beaming, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Anise. I'm Kallista Sinsinger. I was hoping to have a dress made? Is... is that alright?
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 11/05/12, 11:40 am

"Just let me know if you need anything, I'm going to go sit down for a bit." Vedran nodded to Kallista who was already being drawn off further in to the store. He settled on to the couch beside Aleyn, and both men were surprised when a young man appeared seemingly from nowhere to offer them some coffee, which he accepted with pleasure. He declined the pastries, still full of cake from earlier.

Anise, and eladrin woman dressed in elegant modern Highmarkian style, smiled wider at Kallista. "That's perfectly alright, Miss Sinsinger! We have some lovely display models, as you can see, but we want to help you find a dress that's perfect for *you*. Ciora will take your measurements, and when she's through we can look at some of our other fashion plates, and fabric swatches - have you had dresses made before?" She handed the tiefling off to a young human girl who blushed and smiled, ushering her over to a closed back room, explaining that it would be necessary for her to remove her outer garments to ensure a proper fit.

Meanwhile, Anise was still smiling at Delona. "And yourself, Miss Kingfisher? If your tastes run more towards the Elduar looks, we have recently received a new shipment of Aethrenari silks from the city's top producers."

tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 11/05/12, 12:16 pm

"no, I've never..." Kallista began, but she was quickly and efficiently guided over to the assistant who smiled bashfully at her.

"Oh, sure thing!" Kallista said when Ciora explained that she would need to remove her outerwear. She immediately reached down and tugged up her shirt while still in full view of the main room.

Ciora gasped and quickly stopped her before she could reveal anything too shocking.

"Oh no, Ma'am! Please! I'm sorry, but ummm... please wait until we're in the changing room."

Kallista blinked and looked around at the staff who had stopped their work to stare at her.

"Oh... um... right. Of course." she said, feeling suddenly self-conscious. She blushed and allowed herself to be led quickly back into the private room.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 11/05/12, 01:57 pm

Aleyn smiled, hiding it by taking a drink of coffee. It was a relief in a way to know he wasn't the only one who had no idea how upscale shops operated. "Well, she shouldn't have any trouble getting a date tonight if she's looking for one," he said quietly to Vedran. "Oh, or are she and Brenn... well, I know they're not exclusive, but maybe they prefer to, uh, work as a team?"
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 11/05/12, 03:03 pm

Delona smiled and gave Miss Assistant Designer a polite bow, the most she could do while carrying swords, before shrugging nonchalantly over the question on her tastes. "Elduar is simply what I've grown up with. I would like one gown in that style, but I'd like to try something different for the other. What would you suggest?"

She ignored Kallista's little faux pas, being quite familiar with her teammate's body consciousness.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 11/05/12, 03:32 pm

Anis's eyes gleamed slightly when Delona asked for her opinion. "Oh, goodness! Why don't you go with Sarcha to get fitted, and I will bring you over some sketches." Another halfling girl appeared as if from nowhere, smiling up at Delona.

"This way please, miss!"

Vedran, meanwhile, had paused mid-sip when Kallista had started to undress, hoping simultaneously that she would and would not continue, relieved finally when Ciora stopped her and the girls disappeared. After taking another sip while he regained his composure, he turned to answer Aleyn. "Oh, I don't think they've even figured out exactly when they're up to, but the both certainly enjoy each other's company as much as they can. Just not, as you said, exclusively."
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 11/05/12, 03:57 pm

Uh oh. That look was a little too predatory for Delona's liking. "Thank you, Miss Lazar." She bowed again to the designer, then turned and bowed in greeting to the assistant. "After you, Miss Sarcha."

She waited until they'd walked out of Anise's earshot before quietly voicing her thoughts to the pretty halfling. "I get the feeling that I've unleashed a monster. Should I be worried?"

Last edited by Kitrazzle on 11/05/12, 04:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 11/05/12, 03:59 pm

"Right," Aleyn nodded to Vedran. "That's nice, that they can do that... I hope they're both happy with the situation. Things like that can get awkward if one person wants something different...more..." He sounded as if he spoke from experience. "Half of the reason I sort of swore off dating, mismatched expectations," he muttered, looking down into his coffee cup.

"And now you're probably going to ask what the other half was," he added with a little laugh.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 11/05/12, 04:14 pm

Sarcha looked up at the Half-orc, eyes widening slightly as she set up the risers in the fitting room - one for Delona, and a taller one for herself. "Oh no! Anise is really very good, I've rarely seen her steer a client wrong. I probably shouldn't say this, but really the only reason she's only the assistant lead is that miss Melody still owns the shop, and hers is the established reputation. She hardly ever even comes in anymore, though. I think Anise just prefers the challenges of more, um, unconventional clients." She bit her lip, hoping she hadn't said something wrong.

--------------------

Oh, Vedran knew all about the problems of mismatched expectations, but his own failings were the last thing he wanted to think about. "Sure," he answered, feeling a bit like a drowning man who'd just been tossed a rope, "I'll bite. What happened?"
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 11/05/12, 04:41 pm

Delona couldn't help but chuckle as she took off her boots. "And you can't get much more unconventional then us. This should be fun." She had a feeling that 'interesting' would be a better descriptor, but no doubt she'd have plenty to laugh about later.

--

She left her boots and swords off when they finished with the measurements. No point in making things more difficult then they had to be, after all.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 11/05/12, 05:51 pm

"Well." Aleyn took a deep breath. "I'd gotten out of a serious relationship - only relationship I've had that I'd consider serious, really, five years... Anyway, it ended badly. That's an understatement, actually. It ended remarkably awfully badly. And for a while I thought 'well I don't want that to happen again,' so I tried doing the casual thing. And... it was all right, I guess, sometimes, but after a year or so it wasn't... enough. And nobody I met seemed to be what I really wanted, and I didn't even know what that was, but not having it was making me into someone I didn't like. Bitter. Cynical. So... it was better for me to just stop. And then there was the Overlook Disaster and I needed to focus on my family, and my work, to keep things together..." He shrugged, glancing over at Vedran. "Sex just didn't seem to mean anything anymore, or it didn't mean the right things. I don't know if that makes any sense at all, saying it like that," he finished lamely, looking down, embarrassed at having blurted out so much personal baggage.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 11/05/12, 06:41 pm

"No, it makes sense. I can definitely relate to some of that anyway." Sex not meaning the right thing anymore was high on that list, and relationships ending poorly, and a lot of other things he wasn't personally prepared to talk about just yet, especially in public in anything but the vaguest terms. He wasn't sure the best way to follow up that conversation though, since it seemed at odds with the signals he'd been picking up from the other man. "But five years - that must have been really rough."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 11/05/12, 06:51 pm

"It wasn't great," Aleyn agreed. "It's still hard to talk about. Wondering after if I was just a phase, an experiment... if everything he said was a lie... that was probably my lowest point. See, he got married," he said with a sad smile, as if that explained everything. "Just like his family always wanted him to."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 11/05/12, 07:21 pm

Ouch. Vedran winced, though not entirely in sympathy. He knew all about the pressure of family duty though, and look where it had gotten him. At least in his case there'd never been any question that he would marry whoever his father arranged for him, and he'd been careful not to give anyone false impressions on that score. But this story was not about him, though, no matter how close it hit to home at points."Was that why things ended?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 11/05/12, 07:33 pm

"No." Aleyn fiddled with his empty coffee cup before setting it aside. "It was after that mission when everything went to hell... after I got back, I mean. I crawled my way home, so relieved to see him again, he was all I'd been thinking of the whole time, and I walked in on him with, ah, one of the girls in the party. 'Consoling' themselves. Because they thought I was dead." His voice broke slightly on the final word, and it was plain he was trying to keep himself together. After a brief pause he managed to continue. "He couldn't even wait two weeks... didn't go looking for me, just assumed... and with her... So there was a fight, and we both said things meant to hurt. And then it was over." He rubbed his fingers absently over the scars on his right hand, maybe not even aware he was doing it. He glanced to Vedran, taking a deep, shaky breath. "Still just as hard to talk about as I remembered," he said with an attempt at a smile that didn't make it all the way to his eyes.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 11/05/12, 08:14 pm

"Gods, Aleyn, that's awful! I'm really sorry, wow, I shouldn't have pried." He frowned in concern, feeling like he should do or say something more but not sure what. In the end he settled for putting down his own half-empty mug and resting a comforting hand on the other man's shoulder, the feelings of confusion outweighed for the moment by his sympathy. He still didn't know what else to say.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 11/05/12, 08:43 pm

"It's okay," Aleyn tried to reassure him, even while rubbing a hand across his face, trying to regain his composure. He leaned into Vedran's touch, wishing he could just put his arms around him right there and damn what people would think. "Don't be sorry, it's not like you forced me to tell you or anything. I did warn you it was remarkably awfully bad, though," he said wryly.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 11/05/12, 10:54 pm

"I guess I need to learn to take your word on these things, I guess." He gave Aleyn another squeeze on the shoulder as he pulled himself together and returned his wry smile. "I can see why you took such a long break away from things though."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 11/05/12, 11:20 pm

Aleyn shrugged. "It was hard on all of us, the way things ended. People dealt with it however they had to. I guess in his way he was just ...dealing too. It didn't seem like that at the time, though. So yeah, I needed some distance. Which ironically I found by going back to the shop I worked in when I was a teenager, because Miss Nettle doesn't take crap from anyone, especially me."

He smiled fondly. "And spending time with my family is always a good distraction too - because at least their problems are usually things I can help with. Lystra's kids need a new nanny, or Ciryl wants to open a shop of his own, or Tavya's latest no-good boyfriend passed out drunk and she needs help getting him home, or, gods, Lenyard thinks he wants to be an adventurer when he grows up. I can deal with all of that, I'm the responsible one after all. Had to be when I was a kid, and... moreso now that Dad's gone." His smile faded at the last part, but he didn't seem on the verge of tears anymore at least.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/05/12, 12:21 am

He smiles as he listened to Aleyn talk about his family, at his clear fondness for their mundane problems, and frowned with him when he mentioned losing his father. "Was that in Undertow?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 26/09/17, 01:05 pm