Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

The Responsible One

elanya
    God
    God

The Responsible One

Post by elanya on 15/04/12, 10:41 pm

Vedran smiled as Brenn wandered off to rejoin the party, wondering how much of the conversation his friend would retain as the evening wore on, and took a sip from his glass. The well-watered liquor tasted appropriately bitter. He could feel the stress closing again like a vice around the base of his skull. Fair, of course, had nothing to do with anything, and he'd long accepted that in principle. But he felt robbed, tonight - after working so long to put the fight together, and how extremely well the team had come together, they *all* deserved this. He felt like a jerk trying to reign them in at all. If he was lucky, none of the Thunderbolts would pick up on his mood, and go on enjoying themselves.

He wasn't sure how lucky he would be, but hopefully they'd all be drunk enough that he could fob them off on to something or someone more interesting. The place was fairly full of other folk, some he knew but many he didn't, but he hoped most of them could be handled with easier idle conversation. The night promised to be a long one, on the heels of an exceedingly long day and restless nights before. He braced himself mentally, returning the smiles of some tipsy well-wishers, and wondering if there might be somewhere in this place he could find some coffee.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Re: The Responsible One

Post by Curtana on 16/04/12, 08:30 am

Aleyn sipped his drink, hanging back a bit from the celebrations. It had been an exciting match, and he had been glad to see the Thunderbolts do so well (although his heart had been in his throat once or twice) but he had been a little surprised to be invited along to the party afterwards when he hardly knew most of the group. He suspected it was probably Kallista's doing.

He noticed Vedran had returned, and waffled only momentarily before going over to approach him. He had hoped to be able to deliver his congratulations earlier but with so many people around it had been hard to even get close to him.

"Hey, great job!" he said, offering an enthusiastic smile to the half-elf.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/04/12, 08:56 am

'Well', he thought to himself, 'time to pull your head out of your ass.' He sat back a little, taking another drink, and smiled at the sorcerer. "Thanks! I hope it was a good show at least, it all went by so fast!"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 16/04/12, 09:10 am

"Oh, no, it was great," Aleyn said, grinning. "And it always feels like it's over too fast when you're in the middle of everything. I know the audience loved it, though." He paused, glancing around the rowdy gathering. "Everyone's enjoying themselves, it looks like - well, you deserve it!"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/04/12, 10:57 am

"Oh, definitely!" He hoped he sounded appropriately enthusiastic. "How about you?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 16/04/12, 11:02 am

"I'm having fun," Aleyn said cheerfully. "I'm trying to pace myself a bit, though - I'm an easy drunk and when I get smashed I have an unfortunate tendency to put my foot in my mouth. And then things like this happen," he added ruefully, pointing to his nose with its obvious break. "I just wish I remembered what I said to that guy, it must have been great."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/04/12, 11:21 am

That prompted a more genuine laugh. "Oh, I know how that goes - sounds like a good time! But pacing yourself is probably a good call in this crowd, they will definitely get you in trouble if given half a chance."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 16/04/12, 11:32 am

Aleyn nodded, squeezing closer to Vedran as some people he didn't know stumbled by, pawing at each other on their way to somewhere slightly more private. "I... got that impression, yes. So, did your wife go home?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/04/12, 11:40 am

"Oh!" He leaned back a bit to give the other man some space until the couple passed, and smiled wryly. "No, I took her home before I came - this isn't really her scene, so much."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 16/04/12, 11:48 am

"No, maybe not," Aleyn agreed, as a drunk staggered by in the opposite direction, looking for a place to puke. "I hope she doesn't mind you staying out."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/04/12, 11:54 am

"Mmmm." He nodded, taking a drink and raising his glass as someone else bellowed his name from across the room, wishing he wasn't afraid of losing all the information in his head right now by risking something more potent. Jacinthe, he knew, was not ever thrilled when he was out at all hours, but he didn't think she begrudged him tonight. And she was happier when he was out of the house, one way or another, he was pretty sure. "Well, I think I'd be in a lot of trouble if I wasn't here!"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 16/04/12, 11:59 am

"Oh, absolutely," said Aleyn, noting the somewhat noncommittal answer. "Your friends would probably hunt you down and carry you back kicking and screaming if you tried to leave now." He tossed back the rest of his drink, abandoning his policy of caution, and nodded in the direction of Vedran's glass. "Do you want me to get you another one of those?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/04/12, 12:10 pm

Oh, there was all kinds of trouble in front of him now, wasn't there? That it had taken him a moment to sense it just spoke of his level of distraction. Hopefully he wasn't still that drunk - he's certainly felt pretty sober by the time he'd finished talking to his new friend from House Himrall.

He smiled wryly, looking at his dangerously empty glass, wondering about how to extricate himself. "Oh - actually I think I'm alright for now - its all about pacing, like you said."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 16/04/12, 12:15 pm

"OK," said Aleyn with an easygoing shrug. "We don't want you unconscious for the rest of the party, after all!"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/04/12, 12:24 pm

"Exactly!" He smiled, possibly showing more relief than he'd intended, wishing that everyone else would drink themselves unconscious sooner rather than later. "I might actually go see if I can find myself a coffee chaser, its been a long damned day."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 16/04/12, 12:29 pm

At that moment, Kallist came bounding in from the other room, looking around cautiously and trying (and failing) to be subtly stealthy. Her new dress was ruffled and disheveled, as though she had been wrestling in it, and her gloves and high heels were long gone. In her hands she carried a wad of bright green fabric that she seemed to be guarding closely.

"Oh hey! Vedran!" she said with a smile as she noticed him and sauntered up to the pair, "And Aleyn! How are you two getting on?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/04/12, 12:38 pm

Ahh, just when he thought the danger might have passed - how were they getting on, indeed. A conspiracy didn't seem out of the question, but he ignored the question and gave her a quizzical smile, sighing on the inside as he glanced down as the bundle of what he assumed was underwear. "Hey Kallista - yours or someone else's?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 16/04/12, 12:42 pm

Kallista looked nonplussed for a second and then looked down at the fabric in her hand. On second glance it appeared to be too large to be a simple pair of underwear. In fact, Vedran seemed to remember Alia wearing a blouse of that distinctive green color earlier.

"Oh! This!" she said, glancing around again, "It's... uhhhh... ahem. I sort of borrowed it."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 16/04/12, 12:45 pm

Aleyn laughed. "Don't worry, I don't imagine its owner will need it tonight."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/04/12, 12:50 pm

He shook his head, smirking. "As long as she was well compensated for her loss, I don't think she'll too terribly mind. If she wasn't, however...." He made a show of looking around, as if he expected Alia to come storming out at any moment. This sort of thing was known to happen, of course, but he suddenly felt even more removed from the action. In a life that felt like it had happened ages ago, it would have been a great excuse to go an oggle Alia's quite lovely rack.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 16/04/12, 01:06 pm

Kallista grinned.

"Well it wouldn't be any fun if she didn't mind, silly!" she said with an impish grin.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 16/04/12, 01:16 pm

"Well, if you need to hide it, I'm happy to be of asst... astistis... help," Aleyn said. "As a neutral observer and so on. No one would suspect a thing."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 16/04/12, 01:21 pm

Kallista's smile grew even wider with the knowledge of a new collaborator in her mischief.

"Ooooh!" she cooed, "You'd do that? Sweet! You're the bestest!"

She threw her arms around Aleyn in a giant hug and squeezed him. When she finally let go she thrust the silky fabric into his hands conspiratorially.

"Here!Whatever you do, don't let Alia find it!"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 16/04/12, 01:25 pm

Aleyn looked a little startled by the vigorous hug, but took the shirt willingly, tucking it inside his jacket. "Now, this Alia..." he began, smiling but looking a bit nervous, "is she the, uh, vengeful type? Do I need to watch my back from now on?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 16/04/12, 01:28 pm

"Oh - she's one of those crazy wild mages," Vedran put in mildly, eyeing the dregs in his glass wistfully. "You never know what to expect."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 18/11/17, 07:52 pm