Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

The Next Generation

Curtana
    God
    God

Re: The Next Generation

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 06:16 pm

Aleyn looked at her askance, worry written all over his face. "Is it that obvious? I mean, I didn't mean to..." He trailed off, lost for words.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 06:22 pm

Kallista giggled.

"Hah! I knew it!" she said with a giant grin, "But don't worry about it, I just have a nose for that kinda thing. You weren't too obvious, especially not to Vedran. He's pretty clueless about stuff like this."

She squeezed his arm slightly in what was meant to be reassurance.

"You do know he's married, right? Apparently that's some big thing around here. I don't get it, myself."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 06:28 pm

Aleyn looked somewhat relieved at Kallista's reassurances. "I feel sort of ridiculous, I mean, I barely know him and everything I do know about him - he's married, he's got a kid, he's an adventurer, he's probably not even interested in men - tells me that there's no point in even thinking about it, because it's never going to go anywhere. He seems like he's a nice guy, and I don't want to ruin a working relationship, or a friendship, or whatever, over something this stupid, so I'm trying to forget about it, but... I'm babbling, aren't I," he said, running out of steam.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 06:32 pm

Kallista laughed.

"Oh, I wouldn't be too worried about it. You wouldn't be the first to try to try to get in on that action. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 06:36 pm

Somehow that didn't seem to encourage Aleyn. "I just really don't want to make him uncomfortable. Some guys, well... they get sort of ... twitchy about things like that, if you know what I mean." He sighed. "He probably gets this sort of thing all the time, doesn't he."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 06:48 pm

Kallista considered the question. She knew Vedran was popular. As a bard he couldn';t afford NOT to be. But she had never really seen anyone take that kind of interest in him.

"I'm not sure", she said with a shrug, "He's certainly handsome enough, but sometimes he seems almost... shy in a strange sort of way. He's a hard one to get a read on."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 06:59 pm

"Hm," Aleyn said, "I guess I see what you're talking about, yeah. Regardless, I don't want to screw things up when I'm just starting here - and probably letting him know how I feel would do that." He looked resigned to suffering in silence.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 07:38 pm

Kallista shrugged as she pushed open the door to the mess hall. It was fairly empty at this time of day. The lunch rush wouldn't start for another hour.

"Well, I guess just take it slowly, then. If he's interested, it can't hurt. Hell, if he asks, just tell him I put you up to it", she said with a grin, "He'd definitely believe that."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 07:44 pm

Aleyn was older and too acutely aware of the obstacles to be optimistic about his prospects, but he nodded and gave Kallista a hopeful smile anyway. "I'll keep it in mind. So, how long have you known him?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 07:59 pm

Kallista scrunched up her eyebrows in thought.

"Ummm... six months or so? Although, honestly it seems like I've known all of the Thunderbolts forever. We're like a family now. It's been a pretty wild ride so far."

She took a cup from the cantina and filled it with the dark brown sludge that their cook called "coffee".

"Mmmmm..." she said, grabbing the container of sugar and pouring it into her coffee with no sign of stopping anytime soon.

"So you said you were an adventurer before, right? What happened with that?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 08:09 pm

Aleyn also helped himself to coffee, taking a bit of time over preparing it in order to compose his answer. He knew he'd have to tell the story at some point, though - probably many times. "It was fun while it lasted, but it... didn't end so well. We got into a nasty situation. Everyone else died - I was left alive, but with my hand stuck in a trap. So when they figured it was a TPK and resurrected everyone, I... didn't turn up, obviously. Eventually I got myself out." He held up his right hand, showing Kallista the missing fingers, the scars that marked his wrist. "That part wasn't much fun." He tugged his sleeve back down awkwardly, and took a drink of his coffee.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 08:14 pm

Kallista blanched slightly. She'd seen a lot of injuries in her time, including a fair number of her own, but imagining how much that must have hurt was enough to set even her hairs on end.

"Oh wow..." she said, thoroughly impressed, "I'm sorry. Yeah, I guess that would do it, huh? I'm guessing you didn't get back in time for a regen ritual?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 08:23 pm

"Yeah," Aleyn said, his normally cheerful face grim. "I was pretty messed up for a while there, I needed a break from all of this to get myself straightened out. I'm doing fine, although coming back here is kind of weird. Lots of memories."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 08:33 pm

Kallista offered Aleyn her best friendly smile as they sat down at an empty table.

"Yeah", she said, "I know a thing or two about scars. Both mental and physical. I'd bet good money that everyone in this building has their share of both. But hey, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Hell, sometimes the things that kill you make you stronger too, at least according to some of the old-timers. Luckily that's one strength I have yet to acquire."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 08:40 pm

Aleyn managed a little chuckle at that. "That seems like a good way of looking at it. I'd really prefer not to learn that particular lesson either, if I can avoid it. And to help my team avoid it too," he added.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 08:49 pm

Kallista took a long drink of her coffee, not seeming to even notice the fact that it was just shy of boiling hot.

"Yeah", she said, "Me too. We've been really lucky so far. Only once were we in a situation I thought we weren't going to get out of. We got captured by some pirates and held in the shadowfell. It started messing with our minds. Mine most of all. But we made it. It's not the easiest life, but it's worth it, I think. Hell, if it was easy everyone would be doing it."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 08:57 pm

"Yeah," Aleyn agreed. "There were lots of good parts, earlier on. I do miss it sometimes, or else I suppose I wouldn't have come back. I'm glad you made it out of the Shadowfell safely."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 09:07 pm

Kallista smiled.

"Well, we kinda half broke out, half got rescued, but we made it. What made you decide to come back?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 09:11 pm

"I guess I'm not really cut out for a regular job," he said with a smile. "It got kind of dull. Besides, I've go no immediate family to support, no real marketable skills to speak of other than killing things... This is pretty much home."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 09:23 pm

Kallista returned Aleyn's easy smile.

"Yeah, I know what you mean. That's pretty much my exact same situation. Where are you living now? "
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 09:35 pm

"I have a place over a tailor's shop, near the market," Aleyn said. "It's nothing fancy, but it's good enough. I don't need much space, except for books."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 11/04/12, 08:46 am

Kallista nodded and took another swig of coffee. There were dozens of tailor's shops in the market, but she didn't want to seem like she was prying by asking for more specifics.

"Sounds cozy" she said, with a smile, "So you like to read. Are you an arcane class?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 11/04/12, 08:53 am

"Yes, sorcerer," he said. "I do some alchemy on the side, and I used to be my party's designated 'guy who knows a thing or two about history' too. I guess I never really got out of the habit of picking up whatever was around to read it. What about you, what do you do?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 11/04/12, 09:16 am

"Rogue" Kallista said, "Scoundrel subclass. Mostly I stab things with pointy objects in the places where it hurts the most."

She shrugged.

"It's a living. I've never had any talent for magic and the only reading I tend to do is the news sheets and gossip bulletins. I tend to get distracted a bit easily..."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 11/04/12, 10:17 am

"Hey, stabbing things where it hurts is a valuable talent," Aleyn said, grinning. "Don't knock it. And you must not get distracted when it really matters - you've stuck with these kids for a year, for instance, and not everyone would do that. How did you wind up working with them, anyway?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/09/17, 07:14 pm