Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

The Next Generation

elanya
    God
    God

The Next Generation

Post by elanya on 09/04/12, 09:43 pm

"I don't know," Vedran confessed to the Tiefling as he passed her her copy of the Adventurer's Guild stats. The thunderbolts had all been spending a lot of their time since the team's return in the Union, working on various aspects of theit testing to get it out of the way. Some of them could be hard to track down', but he'd finally managed to track Kallista down after one of her the last few skills checks, and the two were walking back towards Monti's office. "It's starting to feel like I'm overthink the whole thing - my eyes are starting to cross as soon as I look at one of their stat sheets. I really just want to get to the actual fight at this point."

Last edited by elanya on 10/04/12, 05:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    tuck
    God
    God

Re: The Next Generation

Post by tuck on 09/04/12, 09:49 pm

Kallista smirked. She'd tried to look over the stats a hundred times now, but every time she did the numbers just blurred together. She wasn't about to tell Vedran this, but she was no scientific fighter. The numbers just didn't mean a whole lot to her. Strategy was all well and good, but eventually it all had to come down to instinct.

"Relax, V", she said optimistically, "We're ready. We're gonna kick they're asses so hard that nine months from now they'll be giving birth to our boots."

She wasn't sure that boast made a whole lot of sense, but she smiled at the thought anyway.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 09/04/12, 10:02 pm

Aleyn was walking down the hall when he heard something that stopped him in his tracks - Vedran's laugh. There was really no urgent reason to turn and head in that direction, but he did it anyway, and soon came across the half-elf and his tiefling companion.

"Hi Vedran," he said casually, giving them a little wave. "And Kallista, right? I'm still learning everyone's names."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/04/12, 10:12 pm

"Hey Aleyn!" He accompanied his greeting with a friendly smile that turned to a look of realization as he glanced from Kallista to the GM in training. He pointed from one to the other for a moment as the thought made its way from brain to mouth. "Junior Explorers!" was all he managed to vocalize from the more complex idea.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 09/04/12, 10:18 pm

Kallista turned to smile at the newcomer, her eyes raking him up and down.

"Well hello there", she said, "I was hoping I'd see you again. Aleyn, right?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 09/04/12, 10:21 pm

"That's right," he said, smiling back. "It's good to see you both again. How are the preparations for the big day going?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/04/12, 10:41 pm

With his little outburst politely ignored, Vedran tapped his lips wth his finger, smiling both at Kallista's so-her introduction, and Aleyn's lack of real response. Just more confirmation for his theory...

"Preparations are coming along as best as they can. I think we're mostly done with the tests now. I think theyre all done except what-" he looked at Kallista "-Thievery? or Stealth? One of the ones you and Tzesira both have to do." He looked back to the human. "And then we trade final stats and I obsess even more over numbers until the big day :p"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 09/04/12, 10:51 pm

Aleyn gave a rueful grin at that. "It's so easy to get fixated on the details, isn't it? I hope you can take a bit of time to unwind, though I know it's probably next to impossible."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 08:39 am

Kallista furrowed her brow slightly. Was the newcomer not noticing her advances, or just uninterested?

Then she noticed the way that Aleyn put a very slight emphasis on the word "unwind" and a gear clicked over in her brain.

She grinned.

"Yes!" she said, perhaps a bit too excitedly, "Unwind! That's exactly what I've been telling him. Too much stress is bad for performance. I've been trying to get him to loosen up for a while now, but he never listens to me. Maybe you'll have better luck."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 10/04/12, 08:48 am

Vedran's eyes widened ever so slightly as he glanced from the one to the other, a vague sense of danger rising....
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 10:34 am

"Oh, I don't know," Aleyn said with a slight chuckle. "Maybe he works best under pressure, some people do."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 10/04/12, 01:50 pm

"Well," he put in with a polite cough and a diplomatically neutral smile - this ewas not a vein of conversation he felt at all inclined to pursue, but maybe he could segue it into something safer. "I don't think I'm going to be able to relax until all this is over, one way or another. But, I had wanted to talk two the two of you about something completely different, which is... the Junior Explorers."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 02:02 pm

Kallista grinned. It was kind of fun to see Vedran squirm. She knew that she didn't have any real chance with him, but she hoped that maybe Aleyn might get somewhere, if that was where his tastes ran.

"The Junior Explorers?" she asked quizzically when Vedran mentioned them, "What about them? The ones that want to go on as adventurers will be taking their level ones pretty soon. I've been drilling them for it pretty hard, though after how they performed during the Highmark Tragedy it's basically just a formality."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 02:06 pm

"Vedran had mentioned it as a possibility that I might be their GM," Aleyn said. "I'm still interested, if you want me." He gave a little cough, realizing the unfortunate implications of what he had just said, and continued on more carefully, "I don't know that much about them - they're kids just starting out, going for their level ones soon I gather, but not much beyond that."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 03:29 pm

"Oh!" Kallista said brightly, "That would be awesome, actually! I was hoping to get them under Monti, but she's gonna be way to busy to take on a new group right now. They're a handful, but they're also great bunch of kids. If you want, I could introduce you to them. We have a perception training session in room 101 in a few hours."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 03:40 pm

"Certainly, I'd like to meet them," Aleyn replied, smiling. "If you're sure you don't mind that I don't have much experience at this." He hesitated, considering the situation. If he was about to get in way over his head, it seemed like he really ought to know that up front. "...When you say 'a handful', uh, what am I looking at here?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 04:08 pm

Kallista laughed.

"Oh, man, where to begin. Well first of all there's Vitria, who would be perfectly happy decapitating everything she sees. She's a great fighter, but her moral outlook is a little sketchy. Galway is a good kid, but full of mischief, although nowhere near as much of a problem to reign in as Vitria. Then there's Katarina. She's a great spellcaster and a certified genius. But unfortunately she's not the best with people."

As she described the kids she counted them off on her fingers.

"Albert is her little brother. They're both from a really rich patrician family up on the hill. Gods only know why they got enrolled down here instead of at the guild. Family reasons, probably."

She shrugged.

"Parvakri is a young Kalashtar who would be a first class cleric if she could focus on her healing instead of following Albert around like a lost puppy-dog. And then there's Ashar-Shan."

Kallista sighed.

"She's kind of the heart and soul of the team. Great druid with a huge heart, but ever since her parents died in the attack she hasn't quite been the same. It's been really rough for her lately."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 10/04/12, 04:47 pm

Vedran sighed. "Oh... Vitria..." he refrained from elaborating on the issues he'd had with her personally - considering the conversation he'd just sidestepped, he wasn't sure he would get much sympathy, anyway. "She can come off as really sweet, but keep an eye on her for sure. She's planning to class as a Blackguard, which really tells you everything you probably need to know. And Ashar-Shan.... yeah. I didn't know here beforehand, but I think she's looking for some kind of stability right now, and sees the Guild as her best shot. That's one of the reasons I want to see them with someone who will take good care of them."

He smiled apologetically at Aleyn. "Sorry - I know it must sound like a lot pf pressure, but they do work pretty well together, and they know a lot more about adventuring than any other bunch of recruits who might get directed your way. All parties come with their own weird internal dynamics, as I'm sure you know."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 05:04 pm

"Oh yes," Aleyn said in a voice that suggested he knew ALL about parties with weird internal dynamics. "They do sound like a challenge, for sure, but hopefully it'll all work out all right. I appreciate you giving me your insights into the group - much better than going in blind." He gave a lopsided smile, maybe slightly longer to Vedran than to Kallista, but definitely directed at both of them. "I imagine you guys aren't just going to unload them on me and disappear - it seems like they're pretty important to you - so if there are issues that come up, I'll come to you for advice, if that's all right."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 05:34 pm

"Oh god's, yes!" Kallista gasped, "I've been working with those kids for a year now. We're like family! I certainly don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon. I'm certainly not gonna leave them or you stranded."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 10/04/12, 05:52 pm

Vedran chuckled. "No, definitely not - Kallista knows them better than me still, but I'm probably around more. Usually." He looked down at the stack of papers in his hand, sighed resignedly, and flashed the other an apologetic look. "Speaking of abandoning you though - I still need to find Dheni and Tzesira, and they keep sending me more stuff for Roscoe to sign. I'll catch you both later."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 05:59 pm

"Oh, ok, see you later then," Aleyn said, watching Vedran walk away. He turned his attention back to Kallista only once the half-elf was thoroughly gone. "Well, I guess I'm with you," he told her with his usual smile, but there was something slightly wistful about his green eyes.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 06:06 pm

Kallista smiled at Vedran and waved as he turned to leave.

"See ya, V!" she called, perhaps a little bit teasingly.

When he had rounded the corner she turned back to Aleyn with mischief in her eyes.

"Indeed!" She said, "And boy do I have some questions for you. Did you need to be somewhere, or would you like to get some coffee and chat?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 10/04/12, 06:10 pm

Aleyn looked slightly startled at her sudden about-face. "I... no, not really. Coffee would be nice, thanks." As they began to walk together, he worried about whether he had made some awful misstep. "What sort of questions?" he asked apprehensively.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/04/12, 06:14 pm

Kallista grinned and took Aleyn's arm as she lead him towards the mess hall.

"Weeeeeeeell..." she said, "For starters, what do you think of Vedran?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 20/07/17, 09:46 pm