Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Tête-à-tête

tuck
    God
    God

Tête-à-tête

Post by tuck on 03/04/12, 03:09 pm

Making camp in the darkened cave was uncomfortable at best, but Kallista had certainly slept in worse places. The hard stone floor was at least relatively warm, and the stench of rot from the undead and the lime pits had become less and less noticeable as the night wore on.

Still, Kallista couldn't sleep. She had spent most of the evening mulling over her own thoughts, especially as related to the newest member of their little group. After an hour of tossing and turning she finally pulled herself out of her bedroll and got up. Most of the rest of the party were either sleeping or deep in meditation, according to their own physiology. Only Roscoe sat up near the fire, reading a book on magical theory. As she stood up he turned to look at her, offering his ever present smile for a few moments before turning back to his tome.

Kallista silently padded over the bare rock down the tunnel that lead towards the mouth of the cave. Just inside the entrance she found the object of her concerns. The revenant was standing motionless near the entrance, eyes staring out over the landscape beneath the mouth of the cave. Her delicate features were somewhat dimmed by the pallor of undeath and her cold eyes reflected the silver moonlight.

Kallista wondered if all followers of the Raven Queen were into standing around looking broody and mysterious, or if it was just the ones she had so far met.

She cleared her throat lightly, announcing her presence, although she half-suspected that Ire somehow already knew she was there.

"Enjoying the view?" she asked.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Re: Tête-à-tête

Post by Curtana on 03/04/12, 07:13 pm

The revenant gave the barest glance in her direction, then turned her focus back to the night. "There is no joy to be found out there - only more foes to face. But for now, at least, there is silence."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 03/04/12, 08:30 pm

"Rrrrrrriiiiiight", Kallista said, crossing her arms, "So not really a glass-is-half-full kinda girl, are you?"

"I would think being dead you'd have had enough of silence by now."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 03/04/12, 08:45 pm

Ire shut her strange eyes for a moment, as if listening for something in the far distance. "No. Silence is not something I find very often now. These moments when I feel no calling... this is as close to peace as I know."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 03/04/12, 09:21 pm

Kallista shifted slightly. She hoped that meant that Ire would be leaving their little group soon.She didn't know why, but she didn't trust the revenant. Perhaps it was because Tzesira seemed a little too quick and a little too eager to trust her completely. She'd never seen Tzesira supplicate to anyone, much less someone she'd just met.

All she knew was that the thought of Ire leaving felt like a weight off of her shoulders.

"Should I leave you alone then? Are you okay out here?" she asked. Despite her mistrust, she had a natural disinclination towards seeing anyone alone and unhappy.
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 04/04/12, 11:08 am

Ire looked vaguely puzzled, as if someone expressing concern for her well-being was a peculiar foreign custom. "I am... 'okay', yes. But you are not required to leave me alone as a result." She seemed neither pleased nor distressed at the prospect of company.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 04/04/12, 12:09 pm

Kallista returned Ire's puzzled look. This was obviously going to be a difficult conversation. She stood for another few moments, but when Ire made no further reply or even movement, Kallista shrugged and sat down near the cave mouth, leaning back against the stone wall.

"You handled yourself pretty well today" she said, "Where'd you learn to fight?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 04/04/12, 09:37 pm

"I don't remember," Ire said, a slight crease furrowing her brow. "I don't remember very much at all from... before. Perhaps I was a warrior then as well, but I don't know." She shrugged. "I try not to think about it."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 04/04/12, 09:54 pm

That gave Kallista pause. She didn't know much about revenants, but it seemed like a less than ideal bargain.

"You don't remember? That must be rough. I have to admit, though, it almost makes me jealous. Sometimes I wish I could just forget my past."
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 04/04/12, 10:15 pm

Shadowy memories rose in Ire's mind, unbidden and incomprehensible - a hand held tight in hers, the flash of a blade in the sun, a child's joyful laughter. They meant nothing to her, disconnected from one another like beads fallen from a broken necklace. They might have belonged to someone else.

"If you could forget cleanly, with no traces lingering behind, then perhaps that would not be so bad. You would not know that you had lost anything."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 05/04/12, 08:57 am

Kallista nodded. It must be a strange life, not being able to remember who you were. For a long while Kallista was quiet, simply watching the night and her new traveling companion, trying futiley to see the world the way Ire must, through a fractured lens filled with half-remembered images. Only a slight breeze blowing past the cave mouth made any sound.

Finally Kallista spoke, perhaps a bit less tactfully than she might have in other circumstances.

"If you don't like it, then why do you serve the Raven Queen? Isn't she the one who made you like this?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 05/04/12, 06:29 pm

"She made me like this, yes. She charged me to serve her. And she has a purpose for me, even if I cannot fully understand it." Ire spoke with conviction, clinging on to the one thing she could still grasp. "When I carry out her will, then I am whole - or as whole as I ever am. To defy her would be..." She shuddered slightly, or perhaps it was just a breeze passing over her skin. "I cannot imagine."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 05/04/12, 09:15 pm

Kallista blanched slightly. What a horrible fate, to be bound in chains you couldn't even see to a force that you could never know. To be cut off from everything you ever were, yet constantly reminded of it. Kallista couldn't help but feel sorry for the woman standing in front of her, despite herself. It was no wonder that she was withdrawn and sullen. Any sane person would be.

"So you have no choice, then?", Kallista asked, her voice hanging in the still night air, "I can't imagine how that must feel. Sometimes... sometimes I think... stupidly, probably... that Avandra chose me for something. Something I'm supposed to do some day. But it's not the same. I've always had a choice. Do you know why she chose you?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 06/04/12, 07:15 am

Ire shook her head. "I have no idea. Maybe I had certain skills she needed. Maybe I was in the right place at the right time. Maybe I begged harder than anyone else." She seemed to struggle with her control for a moment, her face displaying what might almost have been an emotion, although what exactly it was remained a mystery, as though she had long since forgotten how to put her feelings on display. "All I know is, I made a deal I can no longer remember the terms of."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 06/04/12, 10:18 am

Tzesira's meditation had been drifting in between true rest and contemplation for a while, as the day's events drifted through her mind. She'd heard Kallista get up, but hadn't heard her come back in yet. Now quiet voices drifted from the cave entrance...

Maybe she was just checking in with whoever was on watch, but she felt discomfited - not with the day's work, but again with her place in the party, and some twinge of Paranoia made her wonder just what they might be saying. Or maybe there was something coming, and they just hadn't yet raised the alarm. Either way, she rose quietly, slipping through the shadows out towards the source. As she got closer, she realized the Tiefling was talking to Ire, and that neither seemed to be on particularly high alert.

She stepped out of the shadows, glancing between the two with a frown, and shrugged.

"Thought I heard something."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 06/04/12, 10:57 am

Kallista's attention snapped to Tzesira as soon as she stepped out of the darkened cave and into the moonlight.

"T...", she said, surprised at the Shadar-kai's appearance, "Is everything okay?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 06/04/12, 12:14 pm

"Well, if it is just you two, then I guess?"
    Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 06/04/12, 01:53 pm

Ire also glanced at the new arrival. "Only us. There are no problems. Did you wish to take over the watch?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 06/04/12, 02:15 pm

She shrugged, awake now, and with nothing that appeared worth of special concern. Still, she eyed Kallista, as though trying to gauge what she might be thinking.

"I could, yeah."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 06/04/12, 02:43 pm

Kallista pushed herself to her feet.

"I'll stay, too", she said, "I don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight."

She nodded to the revenant.

"Good night, Ire. I'm glad we had a chance to talk some."

Curtana
    God
    God

Post by Curtana on 06/04/12, 02:46 pm

Ire stood, stretching. "It was pleasant to speak with you as well." Nodding to Tzesira, she turned and strode back into the cave - though probably not to sleep.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 06/04/12, 03:00 pm

Tzesira bowed her head as the revenant passed, watching her out of the corner of her eye. Ire wasn't by far the first of her kind she'd encountered - a fair few found their way to the murkmire for one reason or another, and she knew her masters had dealings with several. She suspected that there may even been some who stayed at the temple permanently, in the areas where she was not yet authorized to go. She felt good about the encounter - satisfied, and had noted it as one more thing to speak to her masters about when she went back. But that wasn't what was in her mind at the moment.

She found a good perch from which to observe the entrance to their cave and hopped up, settling in to a cross-legged position she could be comfortable in for a while. Once she was hopeful the revenant was out of earshot, she glanced over at Kallista.

"You're not pissed at me, are you?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 06/04/12, 03:12 pm

Kallista sighed. That was one of the most difficult questions that Tzesira could have asked right then.

"I... no. I don't think so." She said after a moment's hesitation, "Not mad. I don't know what I am."

She turned and looked back down the cave, making sure that Ire was well out of earshot before proceeding.

"Ever since she showed up you haven't been yourself. I don't know if I trust her."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 06/04/12, 03:18 pm

She shot her friend an incredulous look? "What? What the fuck do you mean by that? Haven't been myself, my ass."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 06/04/12, 03:43 pm

Kallista crossed her arms. She really didn't want to fight right now.

"You've been..." she stammered for a moment, unable to come up with the word she wanted, "...deferential. Like she's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I've never seen you act like that before. We barely know her. I... I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. I'm sorry."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 21/07/17, 05:44 am