Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Ahoy 0.1

Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Ahoy 0.1

Post by Josh on 02/04/12, 03:10 pm

Beryl hummed quietly to herself, an old Mythragali song Alia taught her years ago. She stared out over the blue-green ocean, watching the waves and enjoying the slow sway of the boat. The captain had assured her all was well, gear and goods stored, the weather cooperative. She watched people amble about on the deck, these new friends of Brenn and Vedran's. They seemed like good folk, if a bit strange. They weren't the traditional adventurering group, certainly, with the old man and the the warforged that reminded her overwhelmingly of Cael. Still, both of her friends had spoken well of them, and that meant a lot in her mind.

Scanning the deck, Beryl noticed one of them, Kallista, leaning over the gunwhale, obviously sick. Frowning in concern, Beryl made her way over.

"Kallista? Are you okay?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Re: Ahoy 0.1

Post by tuck on 02/04/12, 03:29 pm

Kallista was half leaned, half collapsed over the side of the railing, her mouth half open and her skin gleaming with sweat despite the cool breeze. She was obviously not entirely enjoying herself.

When Beryl approached she managed to weakly hold up one hand to have her wait until the latest round of dry heaves had passed. As soon as she felt the wave of nausea subsiding slightly she slumped back against a wooden railing and groaned.

"Dear gods..." she muttered, "I feel like... like I swallowed an ochre jelly. How does anyone live like this?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 02/04/12, 03:48 pm

Beryl smiled sympathetically.

"Quite well, once you get used to it. Is this your first time out on the ocean? If you want, I've got some herbs that will help."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 02/04/12, 03:54 pm

Kallista looked at Beryl as though she'd offered her a map to the lost treasures of Arkhosia.

"Yes! Please! I'll try anything! It's my first time on any type of boat, really. All my travel has been air or overland so far."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 02/04/12, 03:58 pm

Laughing, Beryl turned.

"Here, follow me. They're in my pack."

As they walked, she gave the tiefling a sidelong glance.

"Brenn would argue with you, you know. The Highwind is just as much a boat as this. I think he has some naval envy."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 02/04/12, 04:03 pm

Kallista tried to stand and nearly fell on her face, but with the help of Beryl and a nearby mast she struggled to her feet and haltingly followed the dwarf.

"If the Highwind is a boat then I'm a displacer beast", she said, "For one thing... ugh... it doesn't rock up and down and back and forth like this crazy contraption does."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 02/04/12, 04:22 pm

"Oh, the Highwind rocks plenty."

She paused, considering.

"I'm sure Brenn would have a comment based on that. Still, it takes time to find your sea legs. I'm sure you'll adjust."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 02/04/12, 04:49 pm

"Dear gods, I hope so..." Kallista groaned, oblivious to Beryl's innuendo in her sickened state.

"No offense meant", she said after considering for a moment, "I'm sure this is a wonderful ship. I just don't think she likes me much. Or maybe my stomach just doesn't like her."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 03/04/12, 12:44 pm

"Oh, none taken. My family owns the ship, but I'm particularly...invested," Beryl offered cheerily.

They stepped below, the dwarf watching her companion's step.

"Here we are. Give me a second. Normally I'd brew a tea, but you look like you need it more immediately, and its safe to chew."

Making sure Kallista was propped up against the wall, Beryl entered her small cabin, leaving the door ajar.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 03/04/12, 02:30 pm

Kallista's head thumped lightly against the wall as Beryl left her to get her remedy.

"I'm really sorry about all this..." she said with a sigh as the dwarf rummaged around in her cabin, "I hate being a bother. I guess you're not really seeing me at my best."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 03/04/12, 07:27 pm

Beryl popped back out quickly, holding a small pouch.

"Oh, don't worry about it. To a fair extent, this is what I do," she replied pleasantly. She shook out a measure of dried leaves onto her hand. She passed the hand holding the pouch over the leaves, singing something in a low voice. Kallista recognized it as dwarven, simple and deep. After a moment, the leaves greened, appearing as vibrant as just-taken clippings.

"Here, chew these. They've even got a decent flavor."

tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 03/04/12, 09:35 pm

Kallista watched fascinated as Beryl restored life to the dead leaves. She took them with a nod of her head and chewed them cautiously.

"It tastes like... lemon." she said after a minute, "Not too bad at all."

She felt the juice running down her throat and already her stomach had begun to settle ever so slightly.

"That's handy," She said, "I never had any talent for magic. Just for sword fighting. And sex, I suppose. Or so I'm told. Not to brag or anything."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 03/04/12, 09:58 pm

Beryl raised an eyebrow and grinned at the tiefling.

"Well, Brenn speaks highly of you in both regards." She paused, considering. "Vedran only on the former, of the two, though he has a lot of good things to say about all of you."

Taking the tiefling's arm, Beryl began to head back above-deck.

"On that topic, I would be remiss in my duties as a friend if I didn't interrogate you." Her tone and facial expression remained cheerful as ever. "So how are things with our intrepid Captain Aelindar?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 04/04/12, 09:02 am

Kallista grinned. Even despite the roilings in her stomach she couldn't help but smile when she thought about Brenn.

"Couldn't be better!" she said, "We've been having a lot of fun. He's very... considerate."

Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 04/04/12, 04:57 pm

Beryl gave the tiefling a wink, smirking.

"I bet."

She paused, something of a distant look on her face.

"You don't get to see a lot of each other, right? Being an adventurer, and with Brenn flitting about everywhere." She thought a moment, grinning. "I bet Brenn would not appreciate his work being characterized as 'flitting.'"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 04/04/12, 05:03 pm

Kallista laughed. The leaves and conversation were beginning to improve her mood, and her stomach pangs had withdrawn to a dull background discomfort.

"Yeah, we usually only see each other when I'm off on an adventure. It's maybe not the ideal set-up, but it certainly keeps things interesting. I think it's good for us, though. Neither of us it really the type to be tied down."

She considered that thought for a moment.

"Well... I mean... there was that one time. But not outside the bedroom, at least."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 04/04/12, 08:42 pm

"Well, he certainly seems happy. I'm glad to hear you are too."

She gave the tiefling a sidelong glance.

"Though don't knock being 'tied down.' Sometimes it has its benefits. In either meaning, obviously."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 05/04/12, 09:02 am

Kallista grinned.

"Maybe someday. But right now I'm free and I like it that way. I can run off on adventures whenever I want and not have to worry about leaving anything behind. I have my friends and my sword, and I don't need much else."

"What about you?" she asked curiously, "Do you have anyone or anything waiting at home?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 05/04/12, 12:18 pm

"I have both, actually. Some anythings and an anyone. My family owns a lot of farmland, and somebody has to manage it. At the moment, I'm more of a troubleshooter; I go where they send me. Someday I'll get to settle down and spend more time perfecting what we do."

She paused, looking wistful. "That's what I was doing in Highmark, consulting with Lord Callais. And getting in a short visit with friends."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 05/04/12, 12:31 pm

Kallista laughed.

"I'm going to assume you mean Vedran's father. I don't know why, but Vedran never really seemed the lordly type to me."

As the ship lurched slightly a fresh wave of nausea washed over her despite the leaves she'd been chewing, but it was milder than before and she managed to fight it down.

"So who's this anyone?" she asked after recovering, "Husband? Wife? Assorted other?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 05/04/12, 12:42 pm

"Fiance, actually. Torvan Mican. He's...he's a good man, and we get along. He's sweet, and stable. Reminds me a little of Vedran, or Agyness. Dutiful, you know?"

Beryl frowned slightly.

"Its a good match, really. Just, I can see why Brenn took the route he did."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 05/04/12, 12:50 pm

Kallista nodded in understanding. From what she'd seen arranged marriages were not often everything they were cracked up to be.

"Well, why don't you? I mean there's always a choice, right?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 05/04/12, 01:07 pm

Beryl gave a short, sharp chuckle.

"Not especially. Well, maybe if it truly was as onerous as it might seem from the outside. But, really, what am I giving up? Marriage for people in my situation isn't about love. I don't need a romantic partner for marriage, I just need a partner. That my family had some influence on who that was, to whatever degree...well, they would regardless. The alternative would mean forsaking everything I know in some vague hope of a happier life."

The druid shrugged.

"I'm happy now. I wish I got to see my friends more, but that's just life circumstances. I'm doing good and necessary work. I get to travel, meet new people and usually help them. Its a good life. Not marrying would jeopardize that, and all the positive work I'm able to accomplish with my family's resources. I guess I'm just not willing to take that leap."

She paused, a bemused expression on her face.

"Though I'll certainly complain about and over-analyze it, it seems. Sorry, I didn't mean to rant."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 05/04/12, 02:16 pm

"Don't be." Kallista said with a reassuring smile, "I probably shouldn't have asked. I'm not always the best at judging what's appropriate conversation, as I'm sure Vedran has told you."

She sighed.

"It's tough to give up everything you know for the slim chance of a better life. I did once. But I was desperate and very, very lucky."

She smiled again, warmly.

"What matters is that you're happy. I think that's the most anyone can really ask."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 06/04/12, 11:54 am

"Well, I am for the moment," Beryl replied cheerfully. "And I don't place a lot of stock in 'appropriate' conversation. I try to observe it with people who do, but feel free to talk about anything with me."

The dwarf raised an eyebrow as she went on.

"On that note, so this instance of giving up everything for a better life. Is that when you became an adventurer?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content