Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Blindsided

elanya
    God
    God

Blindsided

Post by elanya on 05/03/12, 08:06 pm

Tzesira's fascination with Hanrak was no doubt predictable to anyone who knew her. In addition to possessing just the type of martial prowess that she found particularly appealing (there was something to be said about a man who could cleave an enemy in half with a single blow), he was attractive (in her mind, his missing eye and piece of ear only added to the general appeal, besides the particular attraction she had for *fresh* scars, her own or others), he was intriguing (all those scars and trophies no doubt had stories), and to top all that off, he was shadar kai.

As enticing as that last part was, it also made her a little more circumspect in her approach. Things were different here, and if he seemed more like the kind of person she was used to dealing with back home, she was worried about fucking up her chances by making false assumptions. She still didn't have much experience with Nerathi shadar kai. Apparently he was from some noble house, and she wasn't entirely clear what that meant, either. She knew it didn't stop Brenn from fucking whoever he wanted, but she got the impression he might not be a typical example of the higher echelons of society.

Rather than the direct approach, then, of knocking on his cabin door to see if he'd be interested in a fuck, she thought maybe she would try and engage him on slightly less intimate basis first, and see if she could gauge a sense of interest, or at least determine if she was likely to put him off if she did try to solicit a shag. She thought he might be good for more than just that anyway - scars meant stories, and she'd never met one of her own people who didn't like to crow at least a little.

She managed to harass one of the long boat crews carrying orders between the convoyed ships enough to carry her over to the Issenvik vessel, feeling a little more confident and a little more amused at the idea of surprising him. She knew that *actually* surprising him - if she could actually pull it off - could be potentially dangerous, and yet the more she thought about it, the more she felt inclined to try. It was like the games she used to play with some of the other acolytes when she was new, trying to catch the master's off guard and *never* succeeding. But she might have a shot at this, if she was clever and quick.

Once she was aboard the other ship, she slipped off to figure out where to find her quarry, relying on her stealth training to keep from being noticed.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Blindsided

Post by Josh on 06/03/12, 12:23 am

Bare-chested, Hanrak crouched on a crate near the front of the Black Wing, sharpening his axe. His dragonborn first mate, Caiora, sat across from him, charring pieces of already cooked chicken with a controlled application of her fiery breath before chomping them down. The shadar-kai the crew referred to as 'Needle' recounted the spoils from the raid on the pirates.

"...and four barrels of a spice I've never dealt with before. Ahkasian or somesuch. There's funny writing on the side. Expect it'll fetch a good price once we hit the city."

"Good," was the whole of Hanrak's response.

"Blackblade," the crewman responded, returning the nod before departing.

After a brief pause, Caiora stood, wiping her mouth.

"I should go double-check that count. She's a monster in a fight, but too crafty by half. Don't want to end up missing anything." The hulking corsair stalked off, leaving the captain staring out over the gunwhale. His hand paused at the edge of the axe, grasping a whetstone. Hanrak lost himself for a moment in the movement of the boat, his mind wandering.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 06/03/12, 12:58 am

She didn't mind waiting a few moments for the lackeys to clear out - it gave her a chance to appreciate the view, as well as plan her attack, so to speak. Knowing how fresh the edge was on that axe gave her a bit of a thrill, not that she planned to have it be an issue. She'd crept as close as she dared, but although she wanted to do this (wanted to show off, if she was being completely honest), she didn't want to be too stupid about it, either. He'd be dangerous if startled too badly.....and she wanted to impress him, not piss him off.

In the end, she stepped through the shadows, phasing back into insubstantial existence behind him on a slightly higher crate, just a little to his blind side, but close enough to reach out and touch, or pluck one of the feather's from his hair if she'd chosen to. She dropped in to a defensive crouch, ready to leap out of the way if necessary. The calculation in her approach helped her quell her nerves a little, too, when she finally spoke.

"So, hey, Hanrak - how did you lose your eye?"

Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 06/03/12, 04:03 pm

Instinctively, Hanrak rose and turned in a single motion, his axe making a wild arc. He pulled the swing at the last moment, its blade biting into the crate upon which Tzesira stood. He gave the monk an appraising look.

"I picked a fight with something I shouldn't have." He wrenched the blade out of the shattered wood, giving Tzesira a smirk.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 06/03/12, 04:32 pm

"Oh?" She hopped down from her now-precarious perch, grinning in return. "Bad fuckin' habit, that. Did you let it get away?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 06/03/12, 05:08 pm

Hanrak sighed, amused.

"At the time, yes."

He motioned for Tzesira to take a seat and reclaimed his own.

"Nattvinger, they called him. Young for his kind, but dragons can be deadly at any age. I was young, too, and more confident than was called for. The bastard surprised me, his breath eating away my weapon and armor." He gave Tzesira an appreciative nod. "Some of us don't fight as well barehanded. I pummeled the drake as best I could, bruising but not besting him. In return, he left me lying there, burned and defeated. I almost succumbed to shadow, but, as I wavered in and out of wakefulness, a raven landed on my chest. It stared at me, looking in my eyes and promptly made a meal of my left one."

Hanrak's hand moved up to his eyepatch, a wistful smile on his face.

"Perhaps it is foolish, but I always thought of it as a second chance from our Queen. I pushed myself up and made my way back to civilization. I hunted him a while, off and on for more than a decade. We finally met again two years ago. I waved away my crew, met him claw to axe, shield to scale. In the end, that hide that bested me all those years ago now protects mine."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 06/03/12, 05:40 pm

"No, that's just to short of thing She'd do," She replied seriously, duly impressed. "Fuckin' badass. Keep that shit up 'n you can come home and found your own monastery someday." But she couldn't help but grin, and add. "'Course, when we fought dragons, I kicked two of those fuckers out of the air when they were tryin' to run away, and knocked 'em out without even touching 'em." She paused briefly. "Didn't get to kill 'em though, just catch 'em for some goliaths."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 06/03/12, 05:58 pm

Hanrak grinned as Tzesira recounted her fight with the dragons.

"Blows well struck, I'm sure. I hope you had something to remember such a fight by."

His expression turned curious.

"You mentioned a monastery?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 06/03/12, 07:20 pm

She rolled her shoulders, half a shrug and half just to flex the tattoo wings that adorned her shoulder blades, as she settled down. "Just ink - couldn't get a scale without killing the fuckers. But yeah - I trained in a monastery. The Temple of H'rih'keth, in the Murkmire." She wondered if he had ever heard of either - the thought that he hadn't made her feel both defensive, and sad, though she couldn't quite say why. Maybe it was because the shadowfell should have been all of their home, if it wasn't for the change.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 07/03/12, 12:04 am

Hanrak looked up abruptly, eyes wide.

"H'rih'keth, who was called Rilkhelek? Who bested Thrumbolg of Mag Tureah? Lord of the Bleak Marches, champion of winter and consort to the Queen of Letherna? You trained to serve him?"

The noble's demeanor grew more intense as he spoke, obviously enthralled with the subject.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 07/03/12, 12:32 am

Tzesira's smiled grew as he listed off the honourifics, running a finger over the mark on her neck - H'rih'keth's mark, that she'd been given when she was accepted for service by Master Dzen all those years ago - and nodded. "Yes." So far, she'd only been taught fragments of the Saga, and the archaic language was cumbersome. But she knew it, like all of the deeds she'd been forced to memorize, by rote, and quoted:

"There did he set his temple
    With purpose in the Murkmire
    Strong were his wardens and warriors
    Sentinels and seneschals
    Vigilant his guardians
    In the place he made for them of the Shadow.
    "
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/03/12, 10:05 am

Hanrak smiled, nodding along.

As Tzesira finished, he responded,"I've always preferred:

And ice was his blade
    And ice was his heart
    On the field of Eressea
    He met them, ready
    With sword and spear
    With bow and spell, he fought
    'Til none remained but he.
    "

Hanrak sighed, leaning back.

"Would that we had the same opportunity. Not pirate cowards, but a true and worthy host." He looked wistfully out over the water. "Ah, it is an old complaint."

He turned back to regard Tzesira.

"So how does a monk from the Murkmire find herself in the north serving a Highmark guild?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/03/12, 12:09 pm

She shrugged at that. Talking about the consort to trying to make yourself sound interesting was a hard transition, never mind the more personal issues involved. "My Masters sent me, to get more experience and shit. Test myself more." Grinning she added, "'s been pretty fuckin' good for that, lately."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/03/12, 01:07 pm

"You mean the fight with the pirates?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/03/12, 01:23 pm

"Yeah, that and other shit. I still can't believe they didn't just fuckin' kill us when they had the chance."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/03/12, 01:40 pm

"I expect they meant to ransom Beryl, and likely your lot as well. Adventurers can have just as much money as nobles. Killing you would have been as good as setting you free." He shrugged, "Or they could have been keeping you to sell."

He paused, considering.

"Its possible they were holding you for whoever warned them of your voyage."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/03/12, 02:04 pm

The monk narrowed her eyes at that. "Yeah, maybe. I'd like to know who those fuckers are. Or what the fuck they wanted." She didn't think it was about revenge for anything, but more likely the shit the others had been poking in to in Mythragal about that explosion crap in Highmark. So killing wouldn't do *them* any good either - it would have to be capture. She laughed at the thought. "Fuck them though, I mean, what are they gonna do? They can't keep us down, they can't even fucking keep us contained when they shove us in boxes in the Shadowfell. They'd *have* to kill us eventually."

Tzesira shook he head - enough about her, really - and leaned a little closer to Hanrak, taking in his well-formed physique. "So what about you? Did you get sent, or did you volunteer to come stage a big fucking rescue and ass-kicking?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 08/03/12, 11:47 pm

Hanrak leaned in as well, rising to Tzesira's question.

"Well, asses needed kicking, and people needed rescuing. Besides, we've been hunting that particular band of pirates for a while now. I'm not happy at losing their leaders, but slaughtering most of the crew should keep her out of our hair for a while."

The captain shook his head, sighing.

"Days out and I'm still keyed up. Sometimes I hate being stuck on ship for days at a time. Almost nothing makes you feel as alive as combat, you know?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/03/12, 12:13 am

Tzesira was not a master of social nuances, but she knew an invitation when she heard one. She grinned wickedly. "Yeah.... Almost. Yours is the big cabin, right?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 24/07/17, 05:52 pm