Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

It's all up in the air

tuck
    God
    God

Re: It's all up in the air

Post by tuck on 31/01/12, 01:17 am

"No..." Kallista said with a shrug, "...just a hunch. It feels like him. Like something he would do. And if anyone was capable of it, it'd be him."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 31/01/12, 08:24 am

Vedran considered, furrowing his brow slightly. It was possible that she was just projecting her issues with her upbringing on to the situation - he could certainly compose a list of factions who might have had an interest in whatever it was, exactly, that Damakos had been looking in to. But he hadn't heard the full story about Kallista's background, and it was possible there could be something to it. Brenn had told him about the attack in Thanatopolois, at least. It would at least be worth hearing her out, or getting her to think it through with him.

"Okay," he said seriously, "If it was your father - his cult - what would they be trying to achieve?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 31/01/12, 10:25 am

"Chaos? Political destabilization? Social unrest? A distraction while something bigger happens? Who knows. Father used to study the political intrigues of the greatest strategists of Bael Turath. He was the best military scholar in Bael Hexott. Who knows why he might have done it."

She sighed and pulled her knees up to her chest, hugging them.

"The general who is skilled in defense hides in the most secret recesses of the earth; he who is skilled in attack flashes forth from the topmost heights of heaven", she said, as though reciting something she had memorized long ago.

"That was one of his favorite quotes from the old Tiefling war masters. He used to say it all the time. If this isn't an example of that, then I don't know what is."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 31/01/12, 11:56 am

"Kallista... I really don't want to belittle your concerns here, but I'm really not seeing how any of that is necessarily applicable. All that saying means is that people play to their strengths. I can give you a list of factions who might share any of those motivations. You're telling me it sounds just like something he would do, but you don't even know what you think he's doing. If there is a chance you're right, I want to be able to take that in to account, but we need something a little more concrete to work with, so help me out."

He sat back for a moment, giving her a chance to think before continuing, and lowering his voice so that there would be less chance of them being overheard.

"We know Damakos was doing something regarding the Doom of Nachtur. We know something went wrong - from someone's perspective, anyway. We know Highmark - or at least some doesn't think it's over. We know all too well the chaos and destruction that happened afterward - but that's *mostly* resolved, save for some lingering ill-will. So, what's in there for the cult?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 31/01/12, 12:46 pm

Kallista sighed.

"I don't know... maybe nothing. Maybe everything. What if this was just a test? What if they were able to do this on a scale a hundred times bigger? A thousand times?"

She ran her hand through her hair pensively.

"I know you want evidence, but I don't have any. Just a feeling. I'm not saying it's them. I'm just saying it's a possibility. And until I eliminate that possibility... I can't just let it go."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 31/01/12, 01:19 pm

"That's something I think we need to consider no matter who is behind it, or no matter what happened. Even if what happened was a complete freak accident, I'd be worried about what kind of inspiration people might take from it. Those are valid concerns, but they don't need to be grounded in concerns about the cult."

He sighed.

"I'm not asking you for evidence, Kallista, its too early for that. But I really don't know much about this cult, other that you ran away from them, and they worship Kossuth. I don't even know what they want - what their ultimate goals are, say - so its hard for me to envision what they might get out of it.

On the one hand - I want a better idea of who the players might be. On the other hand, I don't want you to obsess about this one possibility. This doesn't need to be any more personal - its already awful enough."

tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 31/01/12, 03:25 pm

Kallista laughed humorlessly.

"Well, their goals are easy. The elimination or enslavement of anyone without devil blood. How they want to go about that, I have no idea. They never really trusted me, and I left before I was fully initiated into the upper ranks."

She sighed.

"You're probably right. I'm obsessing over whether or not they're connected. But I can't help it. If you knew the things I've seen... the things they did... If they do have that kind of power, it means no one is safe. I think that's worth a little worry."

Last edited by tuck on 31/01/12, 07:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 31/01/12, 04:04 pm

"A little worry, sure, but there's enough of that to go around without getting to focused yet." Vedran smiled, hoping to lighten things up a bit. "I need to think this all though more - it's still too damned early for me. You know, the boatswain on this tub runs a heck of a game of cards on Changeday nights. I should find out where they got that wine too, and pick some up for Brenn."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 31/01/12, 04:18 pm

Kallista smiled. He was obviously trying to change the subject, and maybe that was for the best. She knew she was being illogical about the whole situation. The odds that her family was involved with the attack were slim at best. She honestly wish she COULD stop thinking about it.

"He does love his wine. I've caught him staring longingly at his liquor collection a couple of times. It's like his baby."

"And thank you", she said with a smile, "For taking me seriously, at least. I know I'm probably being silly."

Last edited by tuck on 31/01/12, 07:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 31/01/12, 04:39 pm

He grinned, waving his empty tea cup dismissively. "Ahh, that's why it says 'Leader' on my certificate. Twice even! I'll have you know I was top of the class in the advanced seminar on 'Respecting your Teammates'!" He let his tone slip back towards serious for a moment. "But really - if you're worried about something, of course I want to hear about it, and of course I'll take you seriously, because its important to you, and we need to rely on each other." He chuckled. "Espeeecially if we're slipping away from 'adventuring' and more towards 'quasi-legal private investigation of national affairs.'"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 31/01/12, 04:42 pm

Kallista swung her legs down and stood up from her box, tail swishing behind her.

"Thanks, Vedran" she said warmly, and wrapped her arms around her teammate in a friendly, but tight, bear hug.

elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 31/01/12, 04:55 pm

The hug caught him by surprise, though it really shouldn't have - Kallista was exactly the type to show her affection physically. He hugged her back and tried to ignore the unexpected headrush and quickening of his pulse that came with the casual physical display of even platonic affection. It didn't help that she was a very attractive woman, but it certainly didn't bear thinking about either, despite how tightly she was pressed against him.... No - better extricate himself before things got awkward. Or more awkward.

"Hey anytime," he squeaked.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 31/01/12, 05:05 pm

Kallista smiled and planted a friendly kiss on Vedran's cheek before disentangling herself from him.

"I'm gonna go get cleaned up and grab some breakfast." she said with a grin, "See you at the card game?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 31/01/12, 05:14 pm

There was nothing to do but smile and take it in stride, and so he did. "Catch you later." He gave a little wave and watched as she skipped away, idly rubbing his cheek.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 22/09/17, 06:50 am