Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Late Night

Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Late Night

Post by Josh on 26/12/11, 10:53 pm

Dhenirigan nursed yet another serving of coffee. He'd already completed a watch shift, marking it as past midnight, but he didn't feel like sleep. Though it was becoming less of an occurrence in recent months, the swordmage was unmistakably in the midst of a deep brood.

He sat looking into the black depths of his mug in the candlelight, mulling over his earlier conversation with Tzesira. It seemed like every time he tried to help one of them, he completely missed the mark. All he'd wanted to do was get the girl to try and consider situations from her companions' perspectives, open up to them and find the common ground. Instead, he'd insulted her, driven her back into herself, into a melancholy infinitely more dangerous than her rages. Perhaps someone else could reach her, succeed where he failed. Miserable, he took another drink of the bitter brew, lost to the world.
    tuck
    God
    God

Re: Late Night

Post by tuck on 26/12/11, 11:29 pm

Kallista's eyes fluttered open. Hey yellow pupils focused quickly, and within moments the large, dark cabin was clear as daylight to her. She felt Brenn's arm lightly draped over her and smiled. His body was warm and comforting beside her, and his light snoring was both adorable and soothing. She wondered briefly if her teammates had wondered why she hadn't returned to her bunk this evening or if they had already guessed the reason.

For a few moments, Kallista savored her current situation. The soft sheets, the quiet darkness, her warm, lovely companion. She wasn't sure what time it was, but it felt either very late or very early. Either way she had no possible reason to want to get up anytime soon.

A moment later, however, she heard the quiet grumbling of her stomach and realized that she had skipped dinner. She and Brenn had been... otherwise occupied at suppertime, and all she had eaten since lunch was a few pretzels. Her tummy obviously felt that this situation was completely unacceptable, no matter what time of night it happened to be.

She sighed, lamenting her body's decision to betray her, and carefully extricated herself from Brenn's sleepy embrace, thanking the gods silently for her training at escaping grapples.

A short while later, clad in her leather shirt and a pair of Brenn's loose-fitting pants, she opened the door to the galley and crept quietly inside. She was surprised to see acandle burning already in the dark kitchen, and even more surprised to see her teammate sitting at one of the tables with a sullen look and a steaming mug of coffee.

"Dheni?" she asked in a whisper, "Is that you? Are you all right?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 26/12/11, 11:44 pm

Rousing himself at the interruption, Dheni quickly turned to see Kallista. The gith was somewhat upset he hadn't heard her coming, but, again, that was her specialty. He forced a smile which turned genuine as he noticed she was wearing pants decidedly not her own.

"Kallista, what has you up at this hour?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 27/12/11, 12:09 am

Kallista smiled sleepily and ran her hand absently through her short hair.

"Oh, just woke up a bit hungry. Decided to come down for a little midnight snack." She said quietly, "What time is it?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 27/12/11, 12:17 am

"Between one and two, I believe." Dheni considered getting up to rummage through the cupboards with her, but he found he didn't have the energy for it. Despite many cups of coffee and his relatively awake mind, he didn't have the will for much effort at the moment. Instead, he tried vaguely to engage Kallista in conversation.

"I don't believe I saw much of you today, Ms. Sinsinger."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 27/12/11, 12:56 am

Kallista opened one of the ship's cupboards and poked her head in, spying the dried fruits and crackers piled up in it. She grabbed a handful of dates, some crackers, and a hunk of dried sausage, turning back to her friend with a grin.

"Oh, I was... around." She said with a giggle, "Let's just say I was... busy... for most of the afternoon."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 27/12/11, 01:01 am

Dhenirigan smiled despite himself, glad of Kallista's happiness. He suspected he knew where the youthful rogue had been off to all day. It was good to see her smiling and laughing; the last few months had worn on them all.

"Pleasant diversion, I assume? Might I inquire as to whether Captain Aelindar was similarly...occupied?" he asked over his mug.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 27/12/11, 01:17 am

Kallista pulled up chair next to Dheni and set her food down on the table. She popped a cracker into her mouth and chewed.

"He was." she said with a sideways grin, "Well, I guess technically he was more occupier than occupied..."

She paused mid-chew and looked at her Gith companion.

"Errrr..." she said awkwardly.

Last edited by tuck on 27/12/11, 02:32 am; edited 1 time in total
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 27/12/11, 01:24 am

"Hmph, quite," Dheni responded, attempting to steel his face into a mask of mild rebuke which the amusement in his eyes betrayed. The tiefling girl had a disarming honesty which belied her upbringing and profession.

"The captain seems a good enough sort, I suppose, though I hope he's not taking advantage." He gestured towards the crackers, adding, "May I?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 27/12/11, 01:54 am

"Help yourself." she said, pushing the crackers forward. She grabbed some dates and idly nibbled at them.

"He's a good man", she said, smiling faintly, "I trust him. Besides, if I didn't want him taking advantage I wouldn't have offered."

"What are you doing up at this hour?" She asked after a moment, "Wasn't your shift over a while ago?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 27/12/11, 01:59 am

"I've been...thinking." He sighed, taking a cracker and biting a piece off, chewing slowly to give himself time to formulate his thoughts. He preferred to keep matters to himself, but this was not an issue that solely affected him.

"I fear I have upset Ms. Rhob, and it would seem there is little I can do to remedy it."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 27/12/11, 02:29 am

Kallista giggled slightly.

"You're worried that you upset Tzesira?" she asked, somewhat amusedly, "Join the club. I'm pretty sure T was born offended."

She rested her head on her hands.

"She's... sensitive. Moreso than most people realize. Ever since she came back from that temple she's been even worse. I don't know what happened when she went home, but it sure didn't help her mood."

She sighed.

"I'm worried about her."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 27/12/11, 08:21 pm

"As am I, yet I seem unable to communicate that without lecturing."

Dheni took another drink of coffee, the drink getting cool now. He shook his head and continued.

"Has she mentioned anything to you? I know you're close. Moreso than the rest of us to her."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 27/12/11, 08:45 pm

"No." Kallista said morosely, "She plays things very close to the chest. She doesn't trust people easily. I probably know her better than anyone and I don't have a clue what she's thinking most of the time."

Kallista sighed and slouched back tiredly in her chair. She took a bite of sausage and chewed thoughtfully.

"Maybe... she just needs time. Or maybe a good kick in the head."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 27/12/11, 09:25 pm

Dheni nodded slowly, considering.

"Unfortunately, the latter seems more likely in our vocation, but I suppose time will tell."

He remained leaning forward over the counter, still looking haggard and worried.

"Its not just her; everyone is worried. Its like a miasma, there's a feeling hanging in the air, a dread as though we're all waiting for some other catastrophe."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 27/12/11, 09:54 pm

Kallista shrugged.

"Yeah. Ever since the attack it's like everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop. But it's not hard to see why. Someone or something hit us hard, and they hit us where we live. It was personal."

She bit her lip and sighed.

"I think... I think maybe we should consider looking into the atttacks on our own. There's gotta be something we can do. Even if we find nothing it might give us all a sense of closure. At the very least it would give us someswhere to focus our energies. Maybe dispel the feeling of helplessness."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 27/12/11, 10:54 pm

"Hmph. Truly?" Dheni asked, intrigued. "Do you believe we can contribute on such an endeavor. Investigation is, perhaps, not precisely our forte."

The gith took a long drink of coffee, mulling it over.

"Yet I must confess to worrying over the time it has taken the authorities to investigate the matter. I would have thought the lady Ioun would have provided an answer by now, unless there are some mitigating circumstances."

"Were we to endeavor to seek out the perpetrators of the deed, where would you suggest we start?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 27/12/11, 11:16 pm

"I... don't know." Kallista admitted, "But surely someone must have some idea. I'm not a mage, but I can't believe that a huge chunk of a plane just jumps realities and crashes into the middle of the most well stabilized city on the continent without someone or something causing it. And someone has to know something about it."

She shrugged.

"Vedran has contacts among the nobles. Maybe he can dig up some leads. Or we..."

She hesitated for a moment, her face suddenly seeming anxious.

"Nevermind." She said, shaking her head, "Maybe... maybe the earthmote has something to do with what happened. We should keep our eyes open while we're there."
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 28/12/11, 10:55 pm

A plate of shortbread cookies suddenly appeared between the two, fresh out of the oven. Following the gray arm supporting it revealed Delona's grinning face, a smudge of flour across one chiseled cheekbone. Her normal high-collared shirt was tied about her waist, leaving her with a sleeveless undershirt in addition to her usual trousers and boots.

"You two are up late. Can I fix you anything?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 28/12/11, 11:04 pm

"Good lord!" Dheni exclaimed, startled. He recovered as much of his dignity as possible, eyeing the cookies.

"Ahem, well, I do believe I will divest you of some of your sweets, but am otherwise content. The observation of lateness could be reciprocated, my dear. I merely could not sleep. And you?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 29/12/11, 12:42 am

Kallista looked up at the half-orc's appearance and smiled.

"Hey Del", she said, "I'm good, thanks. We were just talking."
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 29/12/11, 04:23 am

It took all of Delona's self control to not giggle at Dheni's startled exclamation. Setting the plate on the table, she sat down and smiled at them. "I promised Farro I'd deliver some of the new batch to the folks on watch after I cleaned up from our baking spree. Cleaning just took a little longer then I expected."

Snagging one of the cookies for herself, she regarded Kallista with a twinkling eye. "Talking, is it? Talking about what?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 29/12/11, 08:23 pm

"Oh, this and that." Kallista said, taking a cookie from the plate and nibbling on it.

"I was just saying that maybe the earthmote might hold some clues about the attack on Highmark."
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 31/12/11, 04:25 am

"Really? Huh. I suppose it is a little further south then most, at that." Delona shrugged as she took a bite out of a cookie, tucking it into her cheek to continue talking. "Hm. Didn' seem tha outta the o'dinawy."

She swallowed and cleared her throat. "My thoughts on the job pretty much boiled down to 'flying island yay.' Should be interesting."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 04/01/12, 06:14 pm

"Well, it's just a thought", Kallista said, "Or maybe a hope. I hate feeling this helpless. I just want to be able to figure out what happened. Maybe this will be our chance."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 21/07/17, 05:32 am