Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

A Perfect Dismount

tuck
    God
    God

A Perfect Dismount

Post by tuck on 08/11/11, 11:17 pm

Kallista loved Bren's airship. She especially loved the view from the crow's nest, which let her look out for miles and miles in every direction, surveying the ever-shifting landscape below them. It was a view that could be found nowhere else in the Confederacy, or possibly the world.

As the sun began setting behind the western horizon she stood up in the tiny wooden basket and stretched, her tail swishing playfully from side to side. As she had done several times before, she grabbed a thick piece of leather from her belt and slung it over the rigging line that connected the top of the mast to the ship below. With a mile-wide grin she hopped up and over the edge of the crow's nest, zipping gracefully down the line.

Her grin quickly shifted to surprise, however, when she saw Vedran standing underneath the rigging line with his back to her, staring out over the edge of the railing.

"Gah!" she exclaimed, realizing far too late that there was no way to stop the imminent collision. She let go of the leather and dropped the last few feet to the deck, tumbling head over heels and crashing into the half-elf, knocking him to the ground in complete surprise just as he turned to see what the noise was. The two landed in a heap with Vedran on his back and Kallista splayed out on top of him, face to face.

"Eek!!" Kallista squeeked with a worried look when her brain shook itself back into place, "Uhhh... Hi. Fancy meeting you here."
    elanya
    God
    God

Re: A Perfect Dismount

Post by elanya on 08/11/11, 11:36 pm

A moment ago he'd been watching the shifting landscape, composing idle metaphors about the unpredictability and instability of life...

Now he was sprawled on his back underneath an attractive woman in tight black leather who had come out of nowhere.

It really just served to prove his point, but the thoughts had been knocked from his mind like the breath from his lungs at the unexpected upset. A dozen responses flew through his brain, most of which he dismissed as being entirely inappropriate. After another half second's consideration, registering her concern yet still finding himself effectively pinned, he settled on a neutral reply. "Fancy, yes... Are you alright?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 08/11/11, 11:40 pm

"Oh!" Kallista said. The idea that she might have hurt herself hadn't yet crossed her mind. She shifted her weight slightly and shook her tail. Nothing seemed to be broken.

"Yes! Heh. I'm Ok. Just a little dazed. Are you? Ok, I mean. I'm sure you're dazed too. Sorry."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 08/11/11, 11:51 pm

He didn't *really* mind being trapped where he was, and he could only hope that anyone watching would have seen that this was a pure accident in which he was a completely innocent party. But if she kept moving around like that things were like to get awkward very quickly. "I'll let you know as soon as I have the opportunity to make a proper inventory." He smiled meaningfully, hoping she would take the hint.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 08/11/11, 11:56 pm

Kallista smiled down at Vedran pleasantly for a few seconds before suddenly realizing that he wanted her to get up.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, "Sorry!"

She pushed herself up to a kneeling position, her legs straddling his hips, and quickly brushed herself off. That done, she finally got her legs under her and hopped to her feet. She reached down one gloved hand to her teammate.

"I'm really sorry about that. I didn't see you there", she said as she helped him up.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/11/11, 12:29 am

Vedran was not by nature a patient man, but it was something he'd learned - patience and self control - and this training he now credited with saving himself from greater embarrassment. He accepted the offered hand graciously. "No harm-" he started to say as she hauled him to his feet, then quickly realized the error of his words, wincing as he put weight on his ankle. Not wanting to make her feel bad, he smiled apologetically instead. "Well, nothing serious, anyway."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 09/11/11, 01:11 am

Kallista gasped and put one arm under vedran's to support him when she saw him wincing.

"Oh man, I'm so sorry. Do you need me to get Roscoe? Or maybe Shallahai? I mean... I know neither of them really specializes in humans... or... half humans, I suppose... but they can heal you if you need it."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/11/11, 08:55 am

"Oh no!" He chuckled sort of painfully, directing her to help him over to the railing. "I'll be alright in a minute. Bards have their own healing." He leaned back against the bulwark to rest, keeping his weight off his twisted ankle. "So, might I ask what you were doing?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 09/11/11, 09:33 am

Kallista grinned sheepishly as she helped him to the railing.

"I was just uh... getting down from the crow's nest. If you haven't noticed, I don't tend to do anything the easy way when the hard way is more fun."

She shrugged and leaned against the railing herself once she was sure that his ankle was okay for the moment.

"I like to go up there when I can. The view is spectacular."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/11/11, 01:02 pm

He broadened his grin. "Well, I'm all for a challenge, but I think one or both of us need a bit more acrobatics training. The ship does provide quite the view, though - I'm just as happy to appreciate it from down here. Its easier to forget the ship is here at all, and I'm willing to sacrifice a few dozen feet for that." Vedran gave a self-depreciating shrug. "And those of us who are less nimble do better to stay out of the crew's way when they're working aloft."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 09/11/11, 01:08 pm

Kallista grinned right back at Vedran.

"Oh, I bet you can be pretty nimble when you want to be."

Suddenly she realized what she had said and bit her lip.

"Oh! Ummm... I mean... like acrobatics and stuff. Not like with sex. I mean, we already ruled that out. We did rule that out, Right? I'm not doing very well today. I should probably shut up."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/11/11, 03:23 pm

Smiling, Vedran shook his head as he brushed some dust off his clothes from having been tumbled to the deck and poked experimentally at a blossoming sore spot on his hip that might become a bruise if he let it. "I'm afraid we did, at that. There - see - I try to get by on charm and wit, and it leads me into all sorts of dangerous situations."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 09/11/11, 03:35 pm

Kallista laughed.

"Well you seemed to handle yourself just fine back at the warforge. What sort of situations have you found yourself in?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/11/11, 03:49 pm

"Oh my! Well where to start, hmm?" He reclined back against the rail, deliberating on his choices. In the meanwhile, he hummed a scrap of song and let the healing energies course through him until he felt a little more confident of his ankle, and stretched it out. "All sorts of ungentlemanly behaviour I should never admit to in polite company... Various threats against my person, not *all* for related reasons... Explorations of exotic lands... Delicate negotiations with extremely odious persons... Adventures of uncertain wisdom, a great number of which were instigated by persons aboard *other* than myself..." He grinned again. "What are you in the mood for?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 09/11/11, 03:54 pm

Kallista's grin widened.

"Persons aboard other than yourself?" she asked coyly, "That sounds like interesting gossip. You wouldn't happen to be referring to our dashing captain, would you?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/11/11, 04:12 pm

He chuckled, feeling better by far. "Oh, him among others! He convinced me once -before the Highwind - to sign up for a berth on a fast flying clipper where he'd gotten a job as a navigator, so that we could do a little trading on our own along the way. Of course, it was clear pretty quickly to the mates that my level of experience had been, well... perhaps a bit exaggerated." He winked.

Last edited by elanya on 09/11/11, 06:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 09/11/11, 04:17 pm

Kallista's interest was piqued. She raised one eyebrow in curiosity.

"How exaggerated?" she asked.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/11/11, 04:22 pm

"well, I wouldn't go quite so far as saying 'made up whole cloth', but close! I knew the language well enough to fake it, just from hanging around Brenn - and let me remind you again that this was *completely* his idea. 'It'll be fine, Vedran, you can pick it up!' Which, yes, I am a pretty fast learner, and that may have served on a more relaxed vessel, but the Alacrity was very tightly run, and with mostly experienced hands... and me. The ran the crew hard and expected they could perform. Luckily they were able to pick-up my slack, so to speak, but they were none too pleased."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 09/11/11, 04:33 pm

Kallista stifled a giggle.

"I bet. I'm surprised they didn't throw you overboard. I guess that's where the charm comes in?" she added with a slight grin.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/11/11, 04:46 pm

"I nearly got flogged before we made it half-way to Aethrennar!" He laughed, remembering. Kalista had said that sh opreferred to do things the hard way - well, shewas in good company. "But yes - I managed to cultivate the sympathy of one of the mates, and she intervened on my behalf. I traded jobs with the cook.... Though that was almost worse. And of course Brenn was still too excited at the prospect of being able to handle such a fast flier to realize exactly how things were playing out. He claims he was just sure it wasn't anything I couldn't handle, but he was a proper officer, not... oh, how did Kalmar put it..." He made a face, putting on an appropriately salty accent "Some cast-off with a posh name who if he ain't good for workin', ain't too good to taste the lash."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 09/11/11, 05:09 pm

"Ha!" Kallista laughed, "Sounds like he'd get along well with a certain Shadar-Kai friend of mine. She has a thing for lashes too."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/11/11, 06:37 pm

He raised his eyebrows, a twinkle in his eye to match his smile. "I think I may have heard of her! At least Yarr mentioned something about the ship being safer with the two of you separated."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 09/11/11, 07:01 pm

Kallista cringed slightly.

"Oh... you heard about that, huh? Ok, the fire *might* have been my fault, but it would never have happened if T hadn't dumped the tar on me."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 09/11/11, 07:11 pm

"I hear the lightning did worse - I wouldn't worry about it." He patted the rail. "A promising start for the ship, I think! Rescuing villagers, fires, storms, and coming out if it all flying high... Our good captain can hardly shut up about it." he grinned affectionately, and shook his head. ``Ànd Cael, for that matter, once he`d heard the stories.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 10/11/11, 12:34 am

"she's a great ship, alright." Kallista said appreciatively, running her hand over the wooden rail, "And she has a good captain. I have a feeling she's in for a lot of wild rides in the future, especially with us on board."

She grinned mischievously at Vedran.

"Man, I really want one of my own someday. Just being able to go anywhere anytime, without having to worry about the shifting wilds or random encounters. I want to see the world, you know? I guess that's part of why I became an explorer. That and... well, there really wasn't much else I could do. I came out of Bael Hexott with what you might call a 'unique' skillset."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/11/17, 10:49 am