Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Catching up

elanya
    God
    God

Re: Catching up

Post by elanya on 13/10/11, 02:40 pm

Vedran grinned over at the Halforc, then looked back to Kallista. he wasn't sure he agreed with Delona's explanation, exactly, but her general point was a good one. And there were more rules that he could shake a stick at, that was for sure. "That is probably a really good guideline. It really isn't anything personal, I promise."
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 13/10/11, 02:43 pm

"It seems strange to us that there would be so many rules for something so intuitive." Shallahai says thoughtfully. "But, it is as you say and we are glad to be well out of it with our wife."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/10/11, 03:10 pm

Kallista balked, glancing around at the assembled group with a hurt look

"Oh god, I'm not... I didn't want to... Just... forget I said anything."

She sighed.

"I just... I just wanted to be friends."
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 13/10/11, 03:27 pm

She shrugged at Shallahai after shooting a smile at Vedran. "Culture crashes, it happens. That isn't even getting into the differences in sexual mores before and after marriage. For some reason many cultures get more strict about who it's appropriate to have sex with after you've married. I think has to do with maintaining stability for kids and resources."

Hold on...friends? Friends and sex? Delona tilted her head to one side and furrowed her brow slightly in thought. "Is sex is a requirement for friendship in Bael Hexott? I can understand sex being done for fun, and I've seen relationships that had nothing to do with sex and relationships that confined sex to however many partners were involved in the partnership, but this is a new one on me."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/10/11, 03:36 pm

Kallista opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. She stuttered for a moment as her face turned a shade less red than normal.

"I... I don't..." she started, "No... I didn't... I don't think I ever really had any... friends... there. I just thought... if you like someone... you're supposed to...."

Her voice trailed off, as she stared at the wooden deck of the airship.
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 13/10/11, 04:00 pm

Shallahai smiles at Kallista. "We like you, and we don't even have the ability to pursue that mating ritual. Don't worry, Kallista."
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 13/10/11, 04:20 pm

"Awwwwww!" Delona grinned and swept Kallista bodily off the deck into a bearhug. "You are So Cute!"

Once she'd set her back down, Del went back into Cultural Edification Mode. "Okay. Friends are supposed to support each other and do activities together, like the Free Beer night or when you and Sira went shopping and got tattoos or when Roscoe drags us out to dinner. Sex can be one of those activities but doesn't have to be. Some people get all weird and awkward after sleeping with a friend, it depends on the individual. You don't have to be friends with someone to have sex, but it helps if you at least find them attractive in some way. In Highmark it's just something that people do for fun, that's why there are so many brothels, but you never have to have sex if you don't want to. Committed relationships make the guidelines surrounding sex complicated, so if someone turns you down it does not necessarily mean they don't like you."

"Does that help? Did I miss anything?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 13/10/11, 04:35 pm

"Wow, yes..." He'd be the first to admit that his views on Tiefling culture were limited - he'd never quite been able to finagle a visit in to Bael Nobra when he'd been out that way, and he'd never actually heard of Bael Hexxot. This little revelation certainly put a new spin on his relationships with other tieflings, though."...what she said... basically. Of course we're friends, Kallista!"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/10/11, 04:58 pm

Kallista nodded. It was a lot to take in at once, but she was glad that at least her friends had explained things before she did something too stupid.

"Ok..." she said cautiously, forcing a smile.

"I'm sorry if I ummm... offended you. Any of you."

Suddenly she looked up, her eyes wide.

"Avandra save me! Brenn... I mean Captain Aelindar. Do you think I offended him?"
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 13/10/11, 05:05 pm

"We are not offended, Kallista. And is there a reason for the captain to be offended?"
    The politics of sex and friendship were surprisingly confusing to her as well. Perhaps this complexity and confusion was what came of thinking of oneself as an individual, instead of part of a unit?
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/10/11, 05:40 pm

Once again Kallista found herself grateful that her dark pink skin hid any sign of her blushing.

"Well..." she said, turning to Vedran, her yellow eyes downcast, "On the last voyage back to Highmark I sort of... slept with him."

She shrugged her shoulders.

"Well, I mean, we didn't really sleep much, but... you know."

She turned to Delona with concern in her eyes.

"Is he going to be offended if I don't want to marry him or something? I don't know how this all works...."
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 13/10/11, 05:49 pm

"Of course we're not offended, Kay sweety." Delona reached out and ruffled Kallista's hair, grinning.

The worry on Kallista's face killed Delona's urge to chuckle at the explanation. She shook her head instead. "Nah, he's not gonna be offended. He seems like the sorta fella who just likes having sex. You'd be able to tell if he was getting serious about wanting a committed relationship."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 13/10/11, 07:30 pm

"Yeah, no - I can guarantee that the last thing you did was offend him. Brenn is just exactly the right kind of person to appreciate your, uh, friendship that way."
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 13/10/11, 07:35 pm

Shalla glances between them and shrugs. "Alright, so we are safe to assume that no harm has been done, yes? Might we ask a... perhaps foolish question, then? Since we seem to be sharing today?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/10/11, 07:45 pm

"Of course", Kallista said, trying to look cheerful again.
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 13/10/11, 08:20 pm

"Yeah, sure. No harm in putting all the cards on the table."
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 13/10/11, 11:10 pm

She glances around, getting the distinct feeling she was about to make an ass of herself. "So what exactly is this 'sex' thing? We had previously thought it simply a mating ritual, to make children, but this conversation is making us think that it is not quite that simple..."
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 13/10/11, 11:36 pm

Blushes were much more apparent on gray skin then on red. Delona's ears turned crimson from the tips down while a strangled cough escaped. "Um, I, uh, hm." She covered her eyes with a hand, the blush marching down her face. "I don't think I'm qualified to answer that."
    Zari
    God
    God

Post by Zari on 13/10/11, 11:44 pm

Roscoe, on his way to Brenn's cabin for a friendly game of Dawnwar, saw most of his friends standing together, and heard Shalla's question. When Delona declined to answer, his eyes lit up and he waved his hand high above his head. "OH! OH! I KNOW THIS ONE!"

Clutching the gameboard to his chest, he trotted up to the group. "Are we talking about humanoid reproduction? Dheni told me all about that!"
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 13/10/11, 11:46 pm

Shalla nods and smiles at Roscoe. Despite his... strangeness, she couldn't help but feel a bit of kinship with him due to their shared status as 'unusual'. "That's what we're talking about, yes."
    Zari
    God
    God

Post by Zari on 14/10/11, 12:19 am

Roscoe smiled happily. "Do you need me to explain it to you? I might not do as good as Dheni, but I can try!"

"See, there are mostly two sexes, male and female, but sometimes people are born a little bit in between and that's okay. Among normative females, unfertilized eggs are stored in two small compartments on either side of their abdomen. These compartments connect to a larger, central chamber that lines itself in a blood-rich, fleshy substrate used as a growing medium for fertilized eggs. If a lunar cycle passes and no eggs have been fertilized, the substrate is ejected so that it doesn't go rotten, and a new one is grown."

"The central chamber connects to the outside by means of a stretchy tunnel, with a dilating membrane that keeps the substrate from exiting into the tunnel until it's time for a new one. The outside entrance to the tunnel is guarded first by folds of skin, then thick flaps of flesh, like lips on a mouth. Above the tunnel is a smaller one where liquid waste is expelled, and on the other side is one for solid waste."

He paused in his explanation, to see if Shalla was following him.
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 14/10/11, 12:22 am

She listens to his explanation, slightly disgusted. "That's... so strange. Go on. We are curious."
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 14/10/11, 12:26 am

Sweet lightning, Sir Dheni really did give him the whole physiological lecture! Delona's hand slid from her eyes to her mouth, the better to hide the growing horrified smile and stifle the laughter. After staring for a moment at Roscoe's enthusiasm, she closed her eyes as well and began to pray under her breath.

"Please don't have diagrams, please don't have diagrams, double the sacrifice next holy day if he doesn't have diagrams."
    Zari
    God
    God

Post by Zari on 14/10/11, 01:01 am

Roscoe smiled, getting into his explanation. "Okay, so, that's females. The males have something like a liquid pollen, which is produced and stored in two egg-shaped pods suspended in a skin sack between their legs. Just like the dogs down at the wharf! Now, they also have a tube for liquid waste, but it doubles up and is also used for the ejection of their liquid pollen. Instead of just being internal, like on females, it comes out from the rest of the body. When males feel the urge to mate, the body of the tube inflates with blood and it expands into a semi-rigid state. The size of the tube in this inflated state is a subject of some status among males, with a longer tube being directly correlated with increased status, and accusations of having a shorter tube is a common insult, implying that the insulted person is of low status, and also unable to impregnate a female."

"When a male and a female wish to mate, he positions himself between her legs and puts his inflated tube into her stretchy tunnel. This causes pleasurable sensations for both parties, so they repeat it a whole bunch, until the male is overcome with happiness and ejects his pollen into the female."

"Now, males who make good mates will manipulate a small growth on the female so that she will also be overcome with happiness, which makes her central chamber shake and contract, and causes the liquid pollen to be sucked up into the chamber where it can be used to fertilize her eggs."

"If an egg gets fertilized, or much more rarely two or more, then it will plant itself in the substrate of the chamber and start to grow into a baby. Why the substrate doesn't go bad when there's a baby in it, I really don't understand, but Sir Dheni said that was how it works. The baby grows in a soft shell-like membrane, attached to a big pillowy chunk of meat, so it has something to lay on when it sleeps. It grows and grows for nine months, then the shell-membrane ruptures and the female pushes it out the stretchy tunnel. The baby is connected to his meat-pillow by a cord in his abdomen, and that needs to be tied off and then cut, so that all its fluids don't drain into it right when the baby's born. Then the mother feeds it milk from her breasts, and it grows up into a child!"

Roscoe nodded. "Does that explain everything, Shalla?"
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 14/10/11, 01:06 am

She listens, shock and disgust building as Roscoe speaks. "...We...We suspect Roscoe must be joking with us. Surely it cannot be like that?"
    She sounds vaguely nauseous

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 20/07/17, 09:36 pm