Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Catching up

tuck
    God
    God

Catching up

Post by tuck on 11/10/11, 03:13 pm

Kallista stared out over the railing of the airship, watching the acres of uncharted and unchartable wilderness slip by beneath them. As glad as she was to be out adventuring again, she couldn't help shaking a strange feeling, like there was some sort of shadow hovering over this mission. Maybe it was just the secrecy of it, or the fact that it had already claimed one adventuring group, or that Tzesira wasn't here with them, but something just felt off to her.

She sighed and turned to look at the now-familiar crew scurrying around at their assigned tasks and noticed Shallahai standing on the forecastle soaking up the abundant sunlight. At least she had come back to help them out so they wouldn't have to be a man down.

She strolled casually over to her and leaned on a nearby mast.

"Hey Shallie..." she said, with a smile, "It's good to have you back. How're things at home? Is the little sapling doing ok?"
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Re: Catching up

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 11/10/11, 03:23 pm

Shalla hated trips like this, where she was separated from the earth and holed up away from the sun. It was... unsettling for a Wilden, and doubly so for a woman of her profession.
    But her classmates needed her, and she'd been inside city walls for far too long. So she said her farewells to Mai and Em and did her duty. She wouldn't leave them to face something that had already claimed so many without their best healer.
    So she basked in the sunlight and moonlight as much as she could, only retreating belowdecks when she absolutely had to.
    It was no surprise, therefore, to see a teammate, and it was even less a surprise to find Kallista strolling up to speak to her. "Hello Kallista. We are doing well. Mai and Em are both thriving, it is kind of you to ask. Has your own life bloomed where it has been planted?"

Last edited by Queenofinsanity6 on 12/10/11, 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 11/10/11, 03:32 pm

Kallista smiled. She had always loved the way Shallahai talked, If it didn't sound like a bad pun she would have described Shallahai's speech as "Flowery".

"Oh, it's certainly growing. Although what it's going to grow into I don't have the foggiest."

Kallista noticed that Shallahai seemed ill at ease here, as though the physical distance between her and the earth was distressing her. It was understandable. As much as Kallista was a creature of the city and felt most comfortable around other people, Shallahai was a creature of the earth, and being here away from it must be... lonely... for lack of a better word.

"Are you... ok?" she asked with a tilt of her head.
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 11/10/11, 03:44 pm

She nods. "The bloom of life is always a strange and surprising one. Our hope is that it will bless you with a plethora of fine fruits."

Shalla was well aware that the others found her speech unusual and interesting, and on occasion she hammed it up. Just a little. Because it was entertaining to watch people try and figure out what she meant, and because people like Kallista always smiled.

She blinked in surprise. "We... will be fine. We are airborne for only a few short days. We have managed longer. It is... uncomfortable, that is all." She was honestly surprised that Kallista picked it up-she'd found that non-Wildens tended to find it difficult to read her body language. She was all the more touched by her friend's concern.

Last edited by Queenofinsanity6 on 12/10/11, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 11/10/11, 04:10 pm

Kallista put her hand lightly on Shalahai's arm in a comforting gesture, careful to avoid the many small thorns that lines her arm.

"I know how you feel." she said, "Like when I first left Bael Hexott. I hated that place so much, but when I finally got out... it felt like I had left part of myself behind. Like part of me had been cut off."

She smiled at her friend and shrugged.

"You get used to it."
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 11/10/11, 04:12 pm

A small shiver. "We left the Wilds for the City, and that was bad enough, though we did it for our daughter, and we have never regretted the decision which has kept her safe. But this... We hope we never have occasion to get used to this. We almost would prefer ground travel, even in spite of the danger and greater travel time."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 11/10/11, 04:23 pm

"Awwww..." Kallista said, gently patting her arm.

"Is there anything I can do to help?"
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 12/10/11, 12:29 am

Shallahai smiles at her. "We will be fine, but we thank you for your concern." She hesitates, not used to holding conversations with people other than her family that weren't directly work related. "Have you been enjoying the voyage?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 12/10/11, 08:55 am

Kallista shrugged.

"As much as can be expected, I suppose. I think everyone's a little bit on edge, but it's nice to be out on the open air again."

She looked out over the forecastle and took a deep breath.

"There's something... invigorating about flying like this. And the view is incredible."

She leaned out further over the railing, staring straight down into the shifting forests hundreds of feet below them.

"Almost makes you forget how deadly it is out there."

Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 12/10/11, 11:10 am

Shallahai nods. "We will admit, the view is quite beautiful, and it is nice to be back in the wilds, even if we are more above them than in them."

A nod. "It is quite deadly indeed. But that is our job, no? To look at the world, see how dangerous it is, and go out there in spite of that knowledge." A wry smile. "My partner calls it mad." It's said fondly, as though it's an old, comfortable debate.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 12/10/11, 11:17 am

Kallista cocked an eyebrow.

"She doesn't approve?"
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 12/10/11, 11:20 am

A soft laugh. "Mai understands that it is important to us and does not attempt to change it." She replies. "But they do not understand why we would uproot our life to move to safety, only to abandon that safety at every turn. We are not sure we do either, in all honesty."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 12/10/11, 11:26 am

Kallista paused for a moment, as it took her a second to untangle the maze of "Our's" and "we's" in Shallahai's statement. It was always odd talking to a Wilden. You could never be sure when they were referring to themselves as individuals or to their race or family as a whole.

"Well, we all have our own reasons for doing what we do", she said eventually, "Tzesira likes the challenge. Delona wants to test herself. Roscoe... well, Roscoe is a special case."

She smiled.

"I think I do it to get out. See the world. Help people. After some of the things my family has done... I guess I feel like I owe the world something."

Last edited by tuck on 12/10/11, 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 12/10/11, 11:28 am

Another smile. "Us as well, we think. We are meant to be the guardians of nature. Abandoning our duty as such never felt right with us."
    She pauses.
    "Kallista, you know you are a noble soul, correct? That which has been done does not define who one is."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/10/11, 11:35 am

Vedran's restlessness was wearing - various thought circulating in hims mind, egging on his impatience to reach their goal, and do what he could for his missing friends, hoping it wasn't going to get anyone else lost or worse. Figuring some fresher air might help clear his head, he'd come up on deck to find Kallista and the Wilden woman chatting. Maybe they could provided a bit of conversational distraction.

He waved as he wandered over, smiling cheerfully. "Good afternoon, ladies - hope I'm not interrupting anything?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 12/10/11, 11:47 am

Kallista laughed.

"I've been called a lot of things, but noble has never been one of them. But thank you. I know that my family isn't my fault, but it still feels like it's my responsibility, you know? I mean the humans took me in even after everything they did."

She gave a halfhearted shrug.

"I have to do something to repay that."

She turned when she heard Vedran call out his greeting and grinned.

"Hey there! Not at all. Come join us. The view is spectacular!"
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 12/10/11, 11:59 am

"You do not have to, and the fact that you choose to is-" She turns and smiles at Vedran. "We are always happy to converse with those we work with."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/10/11, 12:00 pm

"Ahh, excellent then - what are we conversing about?"

Vedran smiled at the two again and leaned on the rail, casting a sideways glance at the shifting landscapes beneath.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 12/10/11, 12:12 pm

"Oh, nothing much", Kallista said with a wide smile, putting one hand on her hip, "Just about why we became adventurers. Why do you do it, Vedran?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/10/11, 12:22 pm

He had to chuckle at that - it was just one of the things he'd been trying not to think about too much.

"Oh, well. Do you want a list? Ah well - here's two. It gets me out of the house, and sometimes it lets me help out friends in need."
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 12/10/11, 12:27 pm

Shallahai listens with a nod. "But you have a family, do you not? I am unfamiliar with the ways of other races, but is it not usual to wish to stay with one's family?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 12/10/11, 12:37 pm

"I guess." He shook his head to cover his faltering smile. "Family's a funny thing - I guess it works out differently for everyone. But I'm really just coming back to this now, so I guess I'll see how it goes." He looked down over the rail, wondering if this had been a bad idea after all. He did miss them, and the fact that he hadn't told Jacinthe the real mission details was just another weight.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 12/10/11, 12:45 pm

Kallista smiled a slightly flirtatious smile at Vedran.

"Well, I'm glad you're here now. We can always use a handsome young bard onboard."
    Queenofinsanity6
    God
    God

Post by Queenofinsanity6 on 12/10/11, 12:49 pm

"Of course. We should have not asked such a question." A small smile in what was meant to be support. "We are glad to have you with us." She flashes an amused glance at Kallista.
    "So he qualifies as 'handsome' for your kind? We find it hard to keep track of what is considered beauty by the races."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 12/10/11, 12:58 pm

Kallista stifled a laugh. It was probably rude to be amused by Shallahai's comment, but she couldn't help it.

"Weeeeeell..." she said, eyeing Vedran head to toe, "Everyone has different tastes, but the wavy hair, soft features, good muscle tone... yeah, I'd say he's definitely a catch."

She winked at Vedran not the least bit surreptitiously.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/11/17, 01:51 am