Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Paternity Leave

elanya
    God
    God

Paternity Leave

Post by elanya on 28/09/11, 08:50 pm

Jacinthe was unhappy about him taking Macen out of the house on his own, but the poor nurse looked incredibly distraught at the idea of actually entering the Union complex. Vedran smiled reassuringly - he'd not told his wife exactly what he'd been planning, though he had mentioned he was considering going back to adventuring soon. That she'd supported more wholeheartedly.

"Marys, it will be fine. I promise no one will accost you. We;ll be fine. Here." Macen was petty big these days, and thankfully still a little sleepy, but Vedran took his son in his arms, humming a little tune to soothe him. "I just need to talk to Monty... and see who else is around."

He didn't *say* 'and show off my adorable son, because he is adorable', but that was certainly what he meant. It was easily read in the subtext, and also his overly-proud smile.

Marys smiled tightly in disapproval, answering in Vanilorran with a curt "Yes, My Lord."

She followed him inside, girding herself to face the ruffians within.
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Re: Paternity Leave

Post by Kitrazzle on 29/09/11, 08:10 am

There were certainly ruffians aplenty to be had inside the Explorer's Union complex, but most of them appeared to be elsewhere at that particular moment. The first one to look more then twice at the trio was the wiry half-orc with green hair lying on a bench near Monti's office, tapping her toes against the top of her head and quietly singing a Vanilorran folk song while she filled out forms.

Look One acknowledged Vedran as someone who belonged in their halls.
    Look Two was needed to remember his name -accompanied by a "Oh hey, long time no see"- and register that he brought guests.
    Look Three confirmed that yes that really was a baby.

Delona's momentarily shocked expression promptly melted into the cute-baby-is-cute face that was almost universal among those with strong parental instincts. She pushed up onto her knees for a better look. "Awwwwwww!"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 29/09/11, 09:18 am

[tapping her head with her toes? o_O]

Vedran smiled at Delona in greeting, and beamed when she cooed at Macen, ignoring Marys's scowl completely and holding up the boy - all flaming orange curls and chub, with his father's bright blue eyes and tiny pointed ears.

"Hi! Delona right? I just stopped by to check in with Monti... Been away, got caught up with other things." He smiled down at the boy, who seemed to be waking up a little more, and reached for the masses of little braids that framed Delona's face as she leaned forward to peer more closely

Last edited by elanya on 16/02/13, 06:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 29/09/11, 09:36 am

[yup, lying on her tummy propped up by her elbows with her legs curled upward over her back. She's flexible.]

A single nod and "Yup" confirmed that Vedran's memory for names and faces was correct, swishing her braids in front of little Macen. The vagueness of his verbal explanation of absence made her chuckle. "Understandable. Monti's still in her office, been there for hou-! -ers." Delona winced and smiled as the infant grabbed a fistful of braids and pulled, careful to not show teeth and scare the little thing. "Nice grip you got there, kid. What's his name?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 29/09/11, 10:47 am

"Hey now, play nice..." he chided the boy, extricating baby hands from hair. Macen gurgled grumpily then squawked, choosing to gnaw on his daddy's fingers instead. Vedran smile back over at Delona. "This is Macen... He's juuust about eight months now. And teething."

Marys, still giving the half-orc a somewhat disapproving look, muttered soemthing under her breath about *him* hardly having much cause for complain, he wasn't the one getting gnawed on in uncomfortable placed.

"And this is Marys, his nurse. One of them. I swear there's an army @_@"

At that the elf smiled a little more sincerely, if not nicely.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 29/09/11, 10:52 am

Right then, Kallista came jogging around the corner with a stack of papers in her hands and spotted her friends.

"Oh! Hi Vedran! Delona, have you seen Monti? I need to get her signature for these release forms and then she said she would take me to ohmygodsthatsababy..."

She stared blanked-faced at the tiny elf child and cocked her head slightly.

"Why is there a baby?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 29/09/11, 11:47 am

When the tiefling came around the corner Marys blanched, and reached out to take macen away from his father. Vedran just smiled reassuringly. "He's fine. noe one is going to hurt him. Tieflings don't eat really Elven babies." He paused. "..as far as I'm aware. And certainly not um... Kall...istra?" he looked at the pink skinned woman in question and smiled questioningly before breaking out into another beaming grin of parental pride. "Anyway... I made him :D"

Marys snorted, eyeing the cooing women uneasily, caught between her own pride and protectiveness of her charge. "No you didn't."

"Well... I helped," he maintained, though with a slightly chastened look, hugging the boy closer, protectively, away form her.
    Zari
    God
    God

Post by Zari on 29/09/11, 11:59 am

Roscoe strolled through the hallways to Monti's office, whistling in a mathematical sort of way, and heard someone say something about helping to make someone? Perking up, he almost ran into the small crowd of people around a sharp turn in the corridor, and quickly scanned their faces. Awww... he must've misheard. No new warforged friends for Roscoe.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 29/09/11, 12:03 pm

"Awwwww spawn!" Kallista cooed.

The tip of her tail rose up and tickled the baby gently on the nose.

"Hehe! He's kinda cute... just like his dad." she said with a quick wink towards Vedran.

She turned and smiled at Marys warmly.

"Are you the mother?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 29/09/11, 12:09 pm

Macen looked uncertain at the pink appendage that appealred before him, but he was of an age where if something wasn't gong to make him cry, then the obvious thing to do was to put it in his mouth. He has a few sharp little teeth, and they needed using! He made to grab at it, already opening his mouth, but was intercepted by his father, who distracted him by passing him a soft stuffed duck that was immediately chomped upon instead.

Marys shook her head, her Nerathi strongly accented, her tone respectful as she spoke of her mistress. "No, that is the honour of the Lady Jacinthe."
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 30/09/11, 11:13 am

Delona honestly hadn't minded letting the adorable little elf-spawn pull her hair, but father did know best so she helped him untangle the baby's fist from her braids, bowing her head in respectful greeting to Marys as they did. "Macen, good strong name." Raising an eyebrow, she pretended to listen intently as the baby gurgled and absentmindedly waggled her fingers at Kallista. "She's in her office."

"He appears to prefer 'Stormageddon, Destroyer of All' and finds the duck delicious, though I promise you that real duck will be much more tasty when you have a full set of teeth." Delona continued to keep her overt attention on Macen's quiet vocalizations, but the majority of her effort was on keeping a straight face. "Hello, Roscoe. Oh come now Stormageddon, you can't call everyone 'Not-Mom' and it's not his fault he doesn't have mammary glands. Oh you don't? Right, well...ah... 'Not-Mom'," she pointed a finger towards Vedran, "'Not-Mom'," the finger-point went towards Marys, "and the rest of us are? ...'Peasants'. Well that's unfortunate."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 30/09/11, 04:35 pm

Vedran gave Delona an odd look, then shrugged, grinning, bouncing Macen a bit to make him smile. "Tch tch, Stormy, that's not very nice. And I'm the daddy one, remember?"

"Ba ba ba!" Macen agreed loudly, breaking out into a broad grin, sticking out his tongue and shoving his drool covered duckie in his father's face.

"Close enough?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 30/09/11, 04:47 pm

Kallista rolled her eyes and grinned at the baby, her business with Monti momentarily pushed out of her head.

"Heh, I used to help take care of my siblings and cousins growing up. Of course, when they started teething it was a much more... destructive... event."

She grinned wide at Macen and pointed to her mouth.

"Comes with the sharp teeth. Truth be told he looks kinda freaky without them. And no tail either."

She furrowed her brows and looked at Vedran.

"How do you people even survive without tails, anyway?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 30/09/11, 05:07 pm

"Oh, you know, we just have to get creative."

Macen shrank back in uncertainty when faced with a mouth full of sharp pointy teeth, hiding away his face and clinging to Vedran.
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 30/09/11, 05:24 pm

"Yes, Stormy, the consonants are very difficult but you'll just have to practice." She smiled at Vedran and nodded. "Close enough. According to my Master, his stick-up-the-bum niece has a son who liked to be called 'Wiggleston Puppyhug' when he was an infant. Stormy obviously has better taste." This bit of explanation was followed by a conspiratorial wink.

"Don't be too downhearted, Kal, his teeth'll grow in." Noting how the adorable Macen shrank against his daddy's chest, Delona held her hand up between Kallista's teeth of DOOM and the child's eyes. "There was a reason I hadn't been grinning at him, you know. Don't want him to downgrade us from peasants to nightmares, do we?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 01/10/11, 09:33 am

Kallista quickly closed her mouth.

"Oh! Right! Sorry. Didn't think about that. I guess I'm more used to kids who have fangs of their own."

She smiled at Macen again, careful not to show her teeth this time.

"It's ok, buddy. I promise I won't try to eat you. I think your dad might frown on that."
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 01/10/11, 10:44 am

Marys shifted uncomfortably, and Vedran flashed her a reassuring smile.

"See, no one is eating anyone else. Anyway I think it is important that he meet people from other races when he's little. He'll get more used to the world that way."

He knew Jacinthe's inclinations would be to shield the boy from such exposure, but she was quite sheltered herself, and he couldn't help but think she would be a little happier if that wasn't the case. His mother had taken him to meet all sorts of interesting people when he was young, and he was sure it had helped him after he'd started travelling for his father.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 01/10/11, 10:52 am

Kallista laughed.

"Yeah, I've seen what a little bit of racial isolation can do to people." she said, tickling Macen lightly on the chin as he cooed at her, "Of course, I turned out perfectly well adjusted, so I guess you never know."
    Kitrazzle
    Demigod
    Demigod

Post by Kitrazzle on 01/10/11, 03:39 pm

Delona always approved of equality in interracial interactions. It gave a little light of hope in their decidedly unequal world. She smiled and nodded approvingly, lowering her hand and looping her thumbs behind her belt. "Cosmopolitan mindset's a very good foundation to give him. It'll help the tyke later." Of course she would think so, she wasn't a Protected Citizen like the others in the conversation were.

She chuckled softly at Kallista. What a heartwarming scene. "True, such is life. You never can tell."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 18/11/17, 07:55 pm