Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

A Friendly Competition

tuck
    God
    God

A Friendly Competition

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 10:19 am

Kallista was sore. She stretched her arms out over her head, feeling her joints creek and pop. The fight with the kobolds had been a long, difficult one, and now, the next morning, her muscles and bones were feeling it. The dull, throbbing headache from the bottle of dwarven rum wasn't helping matters either. Not to mention the... aerobics.

She got up from the crate she'd been sitting on and decided to take a walk around the deck to stretch her legs. She swung her arms lightly as she walked, squinting in the bright sunlight as the crew busied themselves around her.

Coming up to the forecastle, she noticed Tzesira sitting on a small platform in the rigging, watching the crew work.

Kallista grinned and leaned on the mast next to her, crossing her arms.

"Well, you must be quite pleased with yourself after yesterday." she said, a hint of mischief in her voice.

Last edited by tuck on 15/09/11, 05:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
    elanya
    God
    God

Re: A Friendly Competition

Post by elanya on 13/09/11, 12:06 pm

Tzesira looked over, and grinned fiercely. "That'll make a great fuckin' story, won't it? Really makes you feel alive."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 12:42 pm

Kallista wasn't used to seeing Tzesira smiling and even now her grin was almost predatory, more wild than whimsical. Almost as if the grey woman was daring her to challenge the impressiveness of her triumph.

Kallista grinned right back at her. She loved a good dare.

"Yeah, it was pretty impressive. I mean you did get a few really lucky shots in. And I'm *pretty* sure that gaping chest wound I gave the dragon beforehand helped... but you know, whatever. Still impressive."

Last edited by tuck on 13/09/11, 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 13/09/11, 04:00 pm

Tsesira narrowed her eyes, trying to figure out what the other woman wanted.

"Lucky? Lucky for Delona and Dhenirigan, maybe. I know what I'm doing. Letting the party go down like that and not getting anything out of it would have been shit. If I'm lucky, its that the Kobolds were too pussy to try and finish me off. Their loss."

She shrugged, returning her gaze to the people milling around on deck, and beyond to the sea of white clouds and specks of landscape passing below.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 05:23 pm

Kallista laughed. It was so easy to push Tzesira's buttons, as Kallista had been coming to find out since they'd been teamed together. Almost too easy.

"You did good. We all did. I'm sure all your friends back at the monastery will love to hear about how you punched out two blue dragons. I mean, your people are all about the bragging and one-upping each other, right?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 13/09/11, 05:56 pm

She glowered when Kallista laughed, but didn't look up. The Tiefling was good at what she did, and worth tolerating on that front even if her humour was mystifying. Tzesria was sure she was the butt of the joke, somehow, but even after being away from the Shadowfell for months of extra training, she found it hard to care. Annoyance was the best she could muster, and she clung to it desperately, letting it colour her tone.

"Crowing is about letting people know that you are the best. You can't stay at the top with just talk."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 06:26 pm

"Well, you can if you're a Bard." Kallista beamed, "Or a noble".

She reached up with both arms and grabbed on to one of the many poles jutting out from the rigging, letting herself swing casually from it as she stretched her arm muscles.

Truth be told, she liked Tzesira. The woman had spunk, ambition, drive.... and definite talent. But she had a proud streak a mile wide, and Kallista loved bringing people down a notch when she had the chance. It was all in good fun, at least as far as she was concerned.

"But you're right. It's all about what you can do when it comes down to it. Us striker types tend to be more about beating things up than talking their ears off..."

She put her feet down and stopped swinging as she looked up at Tzesira. She had a look as though something had just occurred to her.

"I'm not annoying you, am I?" she asked innocently.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 13/09/11, 07:16 pm

She snorted. "Well you've certainly got a mouth on *you*" For someone who professed to use brute force over banter, she sure did talk a lot. And show off.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 07:35 pm

Kallista couldn't help laughing.

"I certainly do." Kallista said with a wink, "But that's a whole 'nother topic entirely."

She let go of the bar and swung her arms to get the blood flowing in them.

"C'mon, lighten up, T", she said with a grin, "You know you love me. What would you do without my witty commentary?"
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 13/09/11, 08:33 pm

"Lighten up?" She glared over at the other girl, pulling her knees up to her chin. "This is lightened up. If its not to your liking, fuck off." The insult didn't have any real bite to it, though, because Kalista was right. The Tiefling was mouthy, but she was tenacious, and less inclined to leave her to her own devices. She wasn't as easily put off, or insulted as some of the others, and forced her to interact more outside of training and assignments. She sighed, abandoning her dangerous line of thought.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 09:03 pm

"What, would you rather I leave you here to pout like an ornery crow on your little perch?" Kallista asked with a sigh.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 13/09/11, 09:18 pm

"I'm not pouting." Pouting was dangerously close to mopeing. Tzesira rose to standing in a smooth motion, stretching as she did so. Her wounds had mostly healed, but her hair had been fried by the electricity - she'd been planning to shave it off, but for now she flicked the fried ends of her dreads out of her face. "Bet I can make it to the next mast over before you without teleporting."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 09:24 pm

Kallista's eyes lit up.

"Oh, you're on, bitch!" she said with a grin.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 13/09/11, 09:34 pm

"Fuckin'a." With that, she swept out a leg to knock the Tiefling off balance before leaping down towards the deck, controlling her fall as best she could by bouncing along some of the spars and ropes.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 09:43 pm

"Whoa!" Kallista blurted as she lost her balance for a moment before grabbing a rope to steady herself.

"Oh... oh you wanna do this the hard way?", she glared, "We'll do this the hard way!"

She jumped nimbly up to the ledge that Tzesira had recently vacated and then jumped up again, grabbing hold of a rope that led to the center mast. She quickly pulled her dagger from her boot and cut the rope, hanging on for dear life as she swung out over the deck, trying to catch up to Tzesira.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 13/09/11, 10:04 pm

Tzesira grinned, startling some sailors out of the way...and recovered her balance as the ship suddenly listed to one side. "Don't break the ship, you crazy bitch!" She yelled up as Kallista sailed by overhead, still grinning and she gathered her ki and focuses the power of the steel Wind, pushing herself along even faster than normal, and leaping up to catch some lower hanging ropes. She knew the was the better climber, especially with the ship sailing crazy. Some of the other sailors were swearing now, running to other lines to try and straighten things out.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 10:17 pm

Kallista laughed in triumph as she sailed along over the crew's heads for a few seconds before the ship beneath her began to tilt akwardly.

"Whoa shit!" she cried out as the listing of the ship caused her to momentarily swing out over open sky, with nothing between her and the ground several hundred feet below. Fortunately, the ship listed back a few moments later just as Kallista felt her hands slipping on the hemp rope.

She lost her grip and plummeted a dozen feet to the deck, rolling head over heels twice before colliding with an empty barrel.

"Oooooooh... fuck. My head..." she mumbled as she clambered to her feet, only to see Tzesira streak by her a few feet overhead, climbing from rope to rope as the crew scurried around them.

"Oh no you fucking don't!" she cried as she took off sprinting.

"One side mate!" she yelled as she grabbed a nearby bucket of soapy water from a crewman who had been mopping the deck a moment earlier. With a grunt of effort, she threw it with all her strength at the Shadar Kai bounding ahead of her.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 13/09/11, 10:45 pm

Tzesira flinched when the soapy water splashed across her, so that the bucket itself caught her shoulder instead of her face. It throbbed, but the sting in her eyes from the soap was worse, and she laughed, shaking her head as she watched Kallista begin climbing up quickly below her.

"You'll have to do better than that!"

There wasn't much around to use as throwing ammunition, if she (grudgingly) discounted the sailors who'd scattered warily. One of them had left behind a piece of tarp they'd been using as a drop cloth wile tarring the ropes thought, and she kicked it all - tar can, brushes, and tarp down towards Kallista before hauling herself up again, a little more slowly this time.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 11:01 pm

Kallista bolted up the ropes like a woman posessed, hauling herself up hand over hand.

She looked up just in time to see Tzesira's foot shoot out and knock the tarp and can down on her. She gasped and swung to the side, managing to avoid the tarp and the can itself, but the sticky pine tar splashed over her head and face.

"M... mah... mah..." Kallista sputtered in shock, reaching one hand up to wipe the sticky goo from her face. As she pulled back a strand of matted, gloppy red hair her face contorted into a vicious scowl, her sharp teeth bared. A hellish red light grew in her eyes as smoke began rising from her pupils.

"My... HAIR!!!!" She screamed, her voice taking on a demonic rasp.

A bolt of fire erupted from her eyes, streaking towards towards Tzesira as she climbed upward. The flames quickly ignited the tar covering Kallista's head and shoulders, turning her into a screaming, climbing inferno. Luckily, her own natural fire resistance protected her from the non-magical flame as she climbed upward with renewed speed.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/09/11, 09:01 am

She laughed again - the sound, as much as the encroaching ball of flames, made any remaining crewmen blanch - And dropped down a bit to avoid it. Unfortunately that meant that it impacted with a section of rigging, and Tzesira propelled herself forward , glad she'd just been wetted down, to try and put it out before it got out of control. her delay gave Kallista the advantage, and the Tiefling was near the top of the mast already. Well, that wouldn't serve! Channelling her Ki again, Tzesira leapt into the air, flying up and grabbing the other woman around the waist, turning her head away from her flaming hair. Kallista struggled, but by the time she broke free the pair were in free fall, back on their way to the deck.

The Shadar Kai monk reached out for anything that she could use to slow her fall, bracing herself for impact...
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 14/09/11, 09:09 am

Kallista felt the air forced out of her lungs as Tzesira slammed into her and wrapped her arms around her, pulling her off the smoking rigging. The pair fell several dozen feet, impacting the deck hard enough to crack the wood, although luckily it held and they did not fall through into the deck below.

The fire covering Kallista had burnt itself out by now, and she lay on top of Tzesira breathless, smoldering, and dazed. As her senses slowly returned to her, she groaned and opened her eyes to find that she was staring straight at a pair of highly polished boots.

Kallista swallowed nervously. She knew they were in trouble.

elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/09/11, 09:58 am

Tzesira grinned harder as she crashed into the deck, relishing the feeling of the impact, sure she felt ribs crack along with the decking. She pushed Kallista off of her, rolling into a crouch before noticing who was standing before them with a disapproving glare. She yanked Kallista to her feet as she stood.

"I started it," She confessed, then jerked a thumb at the Tiefling "But she's the crazy one with the rope cutting and the fire."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 14/09/11, 03:11 pm

Yarr glared down at the pair, seething. "Melora save me from first level adventurers," she thought angrily.

"Rhob, I don't give a fuck who started it. What the fuck do you think you're doing? I know the Explorer's Union has a reputation as screwups, but I always figured it was bad P.R. Thank you ever so fucking much for enlightening me."

The crew paused, watching the interaction worriedly. Yarr visibly paused, taking a breath, then noticed the crew.

"Back to work, you cloud rats. That rigging isn't going to repair itself. And get Angus over her to fix this wood. Now!"

She turned to regard the pair of adventurers again, her face a mask of disdain.

"I'd make you two do the repairs, but I don't want you touching another fucking thing on this ship. Quarters, now, and I don't want to see you up again unless you have a watch. You may be able to take a dragon, but I guaran-fucking-tee you, I'll be much worse if you do any more damage to my ship."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 14/09/11, 03:51 pm

Kallista squeaked as Yarr grabbed her arm and yanked her up, grimacing as she felt what was probably a dislocated shoulder pop back into place.

She wanted to say something, anything, to defend herself, but after a moment she realized there wasn't really anything that she could say that wouldn't just dig them deeper into their hole. She sighed resignedly.

"Yeah... yes, ma'am... sir... ma'am. Sorry", she said as she looked around, surveying the damage.
    elanya
    God
    God

Post by elanya on 14/09/11, 04:07 pm

Tzesira was less easily cowed, and kept her unrepentant grin, wishing she'd gotten around to having her teeth filed while she was home. She'd trained under much scarier masters than Yarr, and the woman did not impress.

On the other hand, she was with the Union now, and hadn't meant to make them look bad. She swallowed a nastier quip.

"Look..." She fought back the natural urge to follow up her statement with 'bitch,' but figured the pause would let the mate fill it in regardless. "This was a friendly competition that got a little extreme. If this was a fuckup, your ship would fucking *be on fire*. So what's left is nothing you can't handle, I *hope*. Leave the fucking Union out of this - if you're so godsdamned disgusted, you can keep my share of the fucking job, at that."

That said, she spat a mouthful of blood on the deck, and turned to limp away.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 19/11/17, 01:52 am