Dedicated to the weekly college station 4th edition D&D game Adventure World

Yo-Ho-Ho and a Bottle of Rum

tuck
    God
    God

Yo-Ho-Ho and a Bottle of Rum

Post by tuck on 12/09/11, 07:56 pm

The sun had set over an hour ago, but the deck of the airship was still busy with crew and adventurers milling around at their various tasks, talking and joking and throwing dice to pass the time as the ship sailed silently through the dark skies.

Kallista smiled as she leaned back on the railing, watching the crew. She had lived among humans for over two years now, but their habits and customs still fascinated her. She uncorked the large glass bottle that she held and took a swig of the amber liquid inside, grimacing slightly as it burned her throat in a reassuring way.

She cleared her throat and pushed herself off the railing, making her way toward the door to Captain Aelindar's chambers, smirking quietly at the sidelong glances that the crew cast towards her. She wasn't sure if it was her exotic nature or her curves and snug-fitting leather armor that turned their heads, but either way, she was perfectly fine with it.

She knocked on the large wooden door and waited for the young noble to answer before holding up the bottle and shaking it slightly.

"Ahoy there, Cap'n." she said with a grin, "I managed to liberate a bottle of ten year old Dwarven rum from one of your crew in a dice game. Shame to have to drink it alone, though. Care to help me kill it?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Re: Yo-Ho-Ho and a Bottle of Rum

Post by Josh on 13/09/11, 04:29 pm

"Ahoy yourself, Ms. Sinsinger," the captain replied, grinning. "A shame for them and a boon for me. Please come in; I hate to drink alone as well."

Brenn opened the door wider, giving an obviously affected courtly bow and motioning her inside.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 04:56 pm

Kallista grinned right back and sauntered into the room, her tail swishing casually behind her.

"Nice quarters." she said, looking around at room, "I guess there are some perks to being captain, eh?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 13/09/11, 05:20 pm

Brenn smirked at her observation, his eyes following her tail all the way up.

"I can't complain." He followed her further in, gesturing expansively to the whole cabin. "She's a real work of art, to be sure."

The captain sauntered lazily to an polished table, slinging himself brazenly into a cushioned chair.

"Not that I mind the company, far from it, but I would think you'd be sharing the spoils of victory with your companions."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 05:34 pm

Kallista laughed and grabbed a couple of tumbler glasses from the captain's bar before casually dropping sideways into a cushioned chair near the captain, her legs crossed and folded idly over the arm of the chair.

"Captain, I love my friends to death..." she said as she uncorked the bottle again and poured each of them a generous two fingers of rum, "But after spending three months or so cooped up in the adventurer's guild with them, you could say I'm open to alternative company."

As she corked the bottle, her slender pink tail rose up from under the table and pushed gently on one of the glasses, sending it sliding across the polished table towards the captain.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 13/09/11, 05:48 pm

Taking the glass, Brenn raised it in salute.

"You might say this trip has a similar goal in mind. To alternative company!"

The captain winked and put the tumbler to his lips, sipping the caramel liquor.

"Ah, the dwarves do know their spirits."

He sank back into the cushions, sighing contentedly, favoring Kallista with an appraising look.

"Your a Rogue, right? Rough and tumble work, that. How long have you been with the Union?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 06:01 pm

Kallista raised her glass to the Captain's toast and took a swig of rum herself, letting it burn nicely all the way to her stomach.

She swirled the glass idly and nodded.

"Yeah, rogue. Thief subclass. I've only been with the guild for a little less than a year. Still first level", she mused with a sigh, "Before that I wandered a bit. Got used to the open road. It's nice to be out and moving again."

She took another sip and fixed her eyes on the captain's face.

"What about you, Captain Aelindar? How long have you been on this fine vessel?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 13/09/11, 06:12 pm

"Same amount as you, other than the time to load it," Brenn answered, chuckling. "I've had my share of skyship berths before this one, but this is my first as captain. She's my own design, with the help of a few friends." Obvious pride shone through his voice. "Its kind of exhilarating being out on her at last."

He smirked, commenting into his cup, "I guess you never forget your first time."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 13/09/11, 06:55 pm

"Oh, so your both virgins, then?", Kallista said with a grin. She was enjoying herself immensely. There was a pleasant fuzziness starting to creep in around the edges of her senses from the rum, and the captain was proving to be a charming host. Good liquor and good conversation were two of the many advantages that the human world offered over her life in Bael Hexott, and she was always happy to indulge in either.

"She's a beautiful ship", she said genuinely, "I haven't been on many, but I love the open sky. It's so freeing. Maybe when I retire from adventuring I'll buy one of my own."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 14/09/11, 03:04 am

"First level and already considering retirement," Brenn offered, savoring the oak-hinted liquor. "Tired of the adventuring life before you begin? Or do you just want more say in where adventure takes you?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 14/09/11, 08:37 am

"Hah!" Kallista replied, taking another swig of rum, "No, I'm still a long way from retirement yet. To be honest I'm not sure I even expect to survive that long. Besides, I love this lifestyle. I get to see the world, meet interesting people, find strange new creatures, and stick a sword in them. Works out well all around."
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 14/09/11, 03:19 pm

"The woman enjoys simple solutions and new experiences. Duly noted." Brenn stretched, careful to keep his rum upright. He brushed his sandy hair behind the slight points of his ears as he rearranged himself.

"So, what sort of interesting people and strange creatures have you seen and stabbed," he asked taking another swig of rum.
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 14/09/11, 04:02 pm

"Oh, the usual first level stuff. Kobolds, fairies, dogs with vegetable brains. Those dragons yesterday were a nice surprise, even if Tzesira did end up taking them both down. She's going to be impossible to live with for a while."

She knocked back the last of the whiskey in her glass and uncorked the bottle in her hand.

"Man, this stuff is good. ", she said with a grin, "I probably shouldn't drink anymore. Who knows when some terrifying wee-beastie might decide to try to eat us, even way up here."

She leaned her chin on her hands and gazed at the captain through her yellow cat's eyes.

"What do you think, captain? Shall we call it a night or throw caution to the wind?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 14/09/11, 04:25 pm

Brenn followed Kallista's example, the last bit of his rum barely touching his lips. He leaned forward, placing the tumbler between them and holding her gaze.

"I think it'd take quite a bit more than a 'wee' beastie to trouble you, and I've never been much for caution." He grinned, adding, "I do trust the wind, though."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 14/09/11, 04:37 pm

Kallista laughed and poured the captain and herself another glass of rum, even fuller than the first.

"A man after my own heart", she said, grinning, "Tell me... is there a Mrs. The Captain anywhere?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 14/09/11, 10:33 pm

"No, never been married. Well, I did marry a mule in Vanilorra once on a drunken bet." Brenn took a sip before finishing. "The elves make that harder to annul that you'd think. Broke the poor dear's heart when I left."

Brenn leaned forward again, reaching across the table with a look of insincere contrition.

"I hope you won't think the worse of me for it."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 14/09/11, 11:46 pm

Hallowed fought the urge to laugh out loud and managed a look of mock anguish. With a heartfelt sigh she reached out and put her hand on his.

"Oh the poor thing!" she cooed, "To have had her heart broken so... She must have never loved again!"

She let out a barely suppressed giggle.

"I imagine you two made a lovely couple!"

She said as she finally lost it and began laughing uncontrollably.
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 15/09/11, 03:10 pm

"I'm told I was quite dashing, I'll have you know." Brenn smirked, chuckling quietly. "I barely remember any of this."

A tilt of his head signaled a reversal of the previous question.

"What about you? Someone waiting forlornly at home, looking out over the sea for a glimpse of your returning ship?"
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 15/09/11, 03:24 pm

Kallista laughed and took another swig.

"Well, for there to be someone waiting forlornly for you at home, you have to have a home first. I'm not sure I qualify. But no, no one special."

She ran her fingers lightly over the back of his hand absently.

"Why, interested in applying for the job?"
    Josh
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Josh on 15/09/11, 03:31 pm

"Well, I'm not one for waiting anywhere, forlornly or otherwise, but I'm well acquainted with the idea of finding a home."

Brenn's hand turned in Kallista's, his fingers brushing her palm.

"And if you're taking resumes, you may find me...qualified."
    tuck
    God
    God

Post by tuck on 15/09/11, 03:35 pm

Kallista grinned and finished off the rest of her drink, getting unsteadily to her feet and clearing her throat.

"Well then..." she said, an animalistic gleam in her eyes.

She took a few steps towards the captain and grabbed him by the collar, pulling him out of the chair.

"Let's start with the oral interview."

~Fin~

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 25/09/17, 01:40 pm